• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Big Sky assistant commissioner Jon Kasper on Dave Dickenson, Road to Reno, Boise and more

Colter_Nuanez56

In this interview, Big Sky Conference assistant commissioner and director of championships Jon Kasper joins the Tootell & Nuanez show on 102.9 FM ESPN Missoula to talk about former Griz quarterback Dave Dickenson's induction into the College Football Hall of Fame and the final of three years in Reno for the Big Sky basketball tournament before the event moves to Boise next spring.

http://1029espn.com/podcasts-2/

Colter_Nuanez56 said:
In this interview, Big Sky Conference assistant commissioner and director of championships Jon Kasper joins the Tootell & Nuanez show on 102.9 FM ESPN Missoula to talk about former Griz quarterback Dave Dickenson's induction into the College Football Hall of Fame and the final of three years in Reno for the Big Sky basketball tournament before the event moves to Boise next spring.
I wonder how proud he is of the BBall attendance at anywhere besides UM, Weber & MSU; the 3 Griz road games have drawn 604, 1263 and 721. Most HS games can beat that.

kemajic said:
Colter_Nuanez56 said:
I wonder how proud he is of the BBall attendance at anywhere besides UM, Weber & MSU; the 3 Griz road games have drawn 604, 1263 and 721. Most HS games can beat that.

So, what do you think he or the conference should do?

PlayerRep said:
kemajic said:
Colter_Nuanez56 said:
A good question for him, not me. Since I don't see them doing anything, it must be fine with them. I can't imagine the players enjoy playing before 604. And it certainly doesn't help the revenue at those schools, which don't do so hot for football either. Ability to draw has never seemed to be a criteria for joining the BSC. One does have to wonder how sustainable those programs are; they have to be chewing up a lot of cash.

PlayerRep said:
kemajic said:
Colter_Nuanez56 said:

Who the eff cares WHAT they do?!?! Just get Montana into a conference where they belong.

EverettGriz said:
PlayerRep said:
kemajic said:
Colter_Nuanez56 said:

Who the eff cares WHAT they do?!?! Just get Montana into a conference where they belong.
PSU upped the average; 604, 1263, 721 and 925. Whee!!

kemajic said:
EverettGriz said:
PlayerRep said:
kemajic said:

It looked like a packed house. Which Portland area high school do they play their home games at?

alabamagrizzly said:
kemajic said:
EverettGriz said:
PlayerRep said:

It looked like a packed house. Which Portland area high school do they play their home games at?

Well, they're playing temporarily at a DIII. Sad thing is, that gym is twice the size of their own. #bsc

EverettGriz said:
alabamagrizzly said:
kemajic said:
EverettGriz said:

Well, they're playing temporarily at a DIII. Sad thing is, that gym is twice the size of their own. #bsc

Didn’t know that but I was thinking it looked considerably larger then last year. I think our auxiliary gym holds more folks then their gym.

alabamagrizzly said:
EverettGriz said:
alabamagrizzly said:
kemajic said:

Didn’t know that but I was thinking it looked considerably larger then last year. I think our auxiliary gym holds more folks then their gym.

Oh certainly. Sac's also.

#bsc

Two questions:

Would it kill the actual BSC Commissioner to do this type of PR work?

What exactly does a BSC Assistant Commissioner's daily schedule entail exactly?

10:00 AM Get the paper from the driveway
10:30 AM make coffee
11:AM Laugh at the film from last week's controversial referee calls
Noon Lunch
1:00 PM Late lunch
2:00 PM Research "fun" things to do in Reno that don't include gambling or a whore
3:00 PM break
4:00 PM vacuum the Commissioner's office/ clean the Mr. Coffee
4:30 PM "In the field"

EverettGriz said:
PlayerRep said:
kemajic said:
Colter_Nuanez56 said:

I think everybody gets your point, but be honest if you were a fan of any mountain west team would the prospect of Montana joining your conference do anything for you? Gotta think there are a lot of other fbs teams that would draw more interest and bring more to the table than a fcs school. Do you think unlv, Colorado State or a team like new Mexico would be thrilled. Just honestly curious?

braves84 said:
EverettGriz said:
PlayerRep said:
kemajic said:

I think everybody gets your point, but be honest if you were a fan of any mountain west team would the prospect of Montana joining your conference do anything for you? Gotta think there are a lot of other fbs teams that would draw more interest and bring more to the table than a fcs school. Do you think unlv, Colorado State or a team like new Mexico would be thrilled. Just honestly curious?

No, it's a fair question and I appreciate you asking it, 84.

Well, I don't believe they'd be throw-a-fucking-parade-excited to add Montana, necessarily. But why wouldn't those schools welcome a Montana over another low major (think MAC or Sun Belt)? We're geographically consistent, and a state flagship university. Our facilities are virtually on par with the MWC programs, and will be everything the equal when our IPL is completed. Our revenue is equal to the middle of the MWC already, and that doesn't include the additional television revenue we would get in such a conference. Our attendance in the revenue sports is every bit as good and in some cases exceeds that of the MWC programs.

So I would ask with all curiousness, where's the downside to them?

braves84 said:
EverettGriz said:
PlayerRep said:
kemajic said:

I’m guessing your right that some of those teams wouldn’t be thrilled but not for the reasons your implying. More likely they wouldn’t want to move farther down the ladder to an FCS team coming into their con. For one, our avg football attendance would put us about 6th in the MWC, ahead of most those teams you mention. BBall wise, we’d be about 8th, but I’m guessing that would quickly climb with bigger and better teams coming to town. As for your point of other FBS teams bringing more to the table, uh no, unless your thinking the MW could get some P12 or B12 teams to come aboard.

EverettGriz said:
braves84 said:
EverettGriz said:
PlayerRep said:
[/quote

No, it's a fair question and I appreciate you asking it, 84.

Well, I don't believe they'd be throw-a-fucking-parade-excited to add Montana, necessarily. But why wouldn't those schools welcome a Montana over another low major (think MAC or Sun Belt)? We're geographically consistent, and a state flagship university. Our facilities are virtually on par with the MWC programs, and will be everything the equal when our IPL is completed. Our revenue is equal to the middle of the MWC already, and that doesn't include the additional television revenue we would get in such a conference. Our attendance in the revenue sports is every bit as good and in some cases exceeds that of the MWC programs.

So I would ask with all curiousness, where's the downside to them?
I am not say they should or shouldn't move up, I believe you can if the timing and situation were right. I will say there is a opinion around alot of fbs fan bases that if you are fcs you play junior varsity football, heard it all the time from Minnesota, Iowa and even Wyoming fans. If i we're to guess I would say a team like utep even heard byu is interested in coming back to the Mwc if both sides could agree cause being a independent isn't working out to well for them and possibly a long shot woul be new Mexico state even tho I don't think new Mexico would be o.k. with that. All because they all have the fbs label to them.

alabamagrizzly said:
braves84 said:
EverettGriz said:
PlayerRep said:

Who the eff cares WHAT they do?!?! Just get Montana into a conference whe no but I'mre they belong.

I’m guessing your right that some of those teams wouldn’t be thrilled but not for the reasons your implying. More likely they wouldn’t want to move farther down the ladder to an FCS team coming into their con. For one, our avg football attendance would put us about 6th in the MWC, ahead of most those teams you mention. BBall wise, we’d be about 8th, but I’m guessing that would quickly climb with bigger and better teams coming to town. As for your point of other FBS teams bringing more to the table, uh no, unless your thinking the MW could get some P12 or B12 teams to come aboard.
I would think teams like utep, byu maybe even a team like Texas -san Antonio.

Just for the record I feel the same about ndsu. When and only when the power 5 conferences pull away and officially make Thier own division and playoffs, than the P5 conferences and teams from the fcs that want to move up and join them can have thier own division and playoffs and a chance at a national championship. Just isn't going to happen with the current landscape , proven with central Florida this year and teams like Boise State and Utah when they were in the Mwc.

braves84 said:
alabamagrizzly said:
braves84 said:
EverettGriz said:
Who the eff cares WHAT they do?!?! Just get Montana into a conference whe no but I'mre they belong.

First I think your point of the FBS fan bases seeing us as JC is mute. For one, they are not the ones that will make that decision, it’s the educated individuals who control the con, as in the con commissioner, con officials, and probably school AD’s to an extent if they’re not already involved in the con decision making. They are able to see the bigger picture and the benefits, and consequences, of inviting an FCS team to move up w/out just talking out their a**es like your average FBS “fan base”.

Secondly, obviously yes, BYU would be widely accepted back to the MW over any other non FBS school and possibly NM St but your other two suggestions, no. UTEP was 0-12 last year in Con-USA and the only benefit they’d bring is a footprint in Texas. As for Tex-SA, they’ve only been in existence since ‘11 and we’re invited to the lowly Sun Belt two years later and have been up and mostly down since then so no to them too over us.

Thirdly, as for the timing being right, I agree and as for our facilities, yes, now is a good time. Competitiveness wise, ‘08 or ‘09 would have been better and we’re not back there yet.

Fourthly, the only reason the B10 wouldn’t take NDSU is cus they’d be afraid of losing to them like they’ve always done with NDSU as an FCS team. Ok, that may be a bit of an exaggeration but I think any non P5 con would be more then happy to accept them if they were interested but like us 8 years ago, they’re happy being the big fish in our little FCS pond.

braves84 said:
alabamagrizzly said:
braves84 said:
EverettGriz said:

I believe being a state flagship carries a great deal of weight with conference officials and university presidents who make these decisions. I question whether the MWC would cheapen their brand with directional schools.

Ursa Major said:
Two questions:

Would it kill the actual BSC Commissioner to do this type of PR work?

What exactly does a BSC Assistant Commissioner's daily schedule entail exactly?

10:00 AM Get the paper from the driveway
10:30 AM make coffee
11:AM Laugh at the film from last week's controversial referee calls
Noon Lunch
1:00 PM Late lunch
2:00 PM Research "fun" things to do in Reno that don't include gambling or a whore
3:00 PM break
4:00 PM vacuum the Commissioner's office/ clean the Mr. Coffee
4:30 PM "In the field"

:lol:

Back