• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

2018 season first impression

Griz til I die

DONOR
I know there's a lot of you who have different opinions on Bobby Hauck and the new DC. After reading all of this, I decided to post a thread where we can see what everybody's expectations are for next season as of right now
Here is our schedule for next year:
VS. N. Iowa- Tough game against opponent that made the playoffs this year. They traditionally have not played us very well, especially at home. I think we take this one since it's the first home game of the year and it's Bobby's homecoming.
VS. Drake- Our cupcake game next season, we should roll.
@ Western Illinois- Probably the toughest road of the season. Their coach just left to be an assistant at Arizona State which I think gives us a much better chance. I think I'll need to learn a little bit more about this team before I make a pick on this one.
VS. Sacramento state- The Big Sky's up and comers, or maybe just one hit wonders? We saw this a couple of years ago from Portland State and Idaho State back a few years ago. Can Sac State stay consistent throughout the next few years, or was last season just a fluke and another one hit wonder team? Griz will win regardless.
@ Cal Poly- Of course, the dreaded triple option team that has given us trouble for years, however Cal Poly was so god awful last year that we better beat them this year. I think the Griz squeak out a close one.
VS. Portland State- The other terrible team from last year. Griz will roll.
@ North Dakota-Tough place to travel to and play at. The three headed monster will be back next year, but UND will have a new quarterback next year. Their defense was terrible, Griz should win.
VS. UC Davis- Jake Maier and Keelan Doss might keep things interesting in the first half, but UC Davis' defense is not much and will have a hard time stopping us, Griz win.
@ S. Utah- 10 returning starters on offense next year, but will have a new quarterback. I honestly have no idea what to think of the Tbirds next year. It's all going to center around that new QB next year. Until I know more though I can't make a prediction.
@ Idaho- The biggest question revolving around the Big Sky next year. How will the Vandals adjust to playing at the FCS level next year? After seeing that they played 3 different QB's last year, it makes me think the Vandy's have an identity problem. I think they might struggle next year, but that's just speculation on my part. I'll say Griz win.
VS. MSU- Cats seem to be trending upwards, but I think we are too. Games at home next year, Bobby will be fired up and will have the team fired up and ready to play, Griz win.

-----------------
So after looking at our schedule my gut tells me 10-1 next year, but my brain tells me 9-2 or 8-3 next year, so for now until we know more, I'll pick the one in the middle and say 9-2. I'll let you guys pick those two losses for me. That's my early prediction for next season, how about you guys? (obviously there's not much to go off of right now, but just go off of your first impression from looking at the schedule).

GO GRIZ!

Nd defense was decimated by injuries. They will be back to tough d form.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Allezchat said:

True. I’m kinda looking forward to seeing what their defense looks like at full strength.

Big Sky is impossible to predict until a few games in the season. There’s always one or two teams that surprise and disappoint

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Griz til I die said:
Allezchat said:

True. I’m kinda looking forward to seeing what their defense looks like at full strength.

See 2016 season...

Griz til I die said:
I know there's a lot of you who have different opinions on Bobby Hauck and the new DC. After reading all of this, I decided to post a thread where we can see what everybody's expectations are for next season as of right now
VS. N. Iowa- Tough game against opponent that made the playoffs this year. They traditionally have not played us very well, especially at home. I think we take this one since it's the first home game of the year and it's Bobby's homecoming.
@ Western Illinois- Probably the toughest road of the season. Their coach just left to be an assistant at Arizona State which I think gives us a much better chance. I think I'll need to learn a little bit more about this team before I make a pick on this one.
VS. Sacramento state- The Big Sky's up and comers, or maybe just one hit wonders? We saw this a couple of years ago from Portland State and Idaho State back a few years ago. Can Sac State stay consistent throughout the next few years, or was last season just a fluke and another one hit wonder team? Griz will win regardless.
@ Cal Poly- Of course, the dreaded triple option team that has given us trouble for years, however Cal Poly was so god awful last year that we better beat them this year. I think the Griz squeak out a close one.
@ North Dakota-Tough place to travel to and play at. The three headed monster will be back next year, but UND will have a new quarterback next year. Their defense was terrible, Griz should win.
VS. UC Davis- Jake Maier and Keelan Doss might keep things interesting in the first half, but UC Davis' defense is not much and will have a hard time stopping us, Griz win.
@ S. Utah- 10 returning starters on offense next year, but will have a new quarterback. I honestly have no idea what to think of the Tbirds next year. It's all going to center around that new QB next year. Until I know more though I can't make a prediction.

@ Idaho- Guaranteed loss.

VS. MSU- Cats seem to be trending upwards, but I think we are too. Games at home next year, Bobby will be fired up and will have the team fired up and ready to play, Griz win.

-----------------
So after looking at our schedule my gut tells me 10-1 next year, but my brain tells me 9-2 or 8-3 next year, so for now until we know more, I'll pick the one in the middle and say 9-2. I'll let you guys pick those two losses for me. That's my early prediction for next season, how about you guys? (obviously there's not much to go off of right now, but just go off of your first impression from looking at the schedule).

GO GRIZ!

FIFY. The only reason we used 3 QB's last year is that our starter got injured and we were hoping to avoid burning a redshirt by using a backup who was not particularly prepared to play.

2018 schedule is far more difficult than 2017. I like our skill position players, especially at QB. 3 very difficult road games. I see us going 7-4 or 8-3. Either way, getting into the playoffs.

FYI....your still Idaho. Not the Idaho of the early ‘90s or ‘80s. Should be a good game but not a guaranteed loss

VandalPride97 said:
Griz til I die said:

-----------------

GO GRIZ!

FIFY. The only reason we used 3 QB's last year is that our starter got injured and we were hoping to avoid burning a redshirt by using a backup who was not particularly prepared to play.

Are you referring to your scholarship numbers?

Griz til I die prediction last April for 2017. Lol.

"Earlier this year, back in January, I posted a thread asking everyone what our record for this season would be and how far we would go in the playoffs. Now that spring ball is over, I wanted to post the question again because now we know a lot more than we did back in January. my prediction for this season was 10-1. I know what your all thinking, call me crazy, but I seriously think it's possible. Our defense has played great this whole spring, and will continue to get better. Even though our offense was a little bit sluggish today, the talent is still there. I think Gresch will get the starting job at QB. I think Reese really hurt his chances today. I thought Gresch had a pretty good day considering he was only on the field for a limited amount of time today. Not to mention that all of our top LB's and our top RB were out for spring ball. once they all come back, I think it will be a night and day difference between spring ball and the actual season. Now that Jensen has gotten his feet wet in this offense, he is going to be a really good QB there's no doubt about it. Even though the spring game may have seemed somewhat underwhelming today, I saw lots of positive signs all over the field. I like this team and I think it's going to be a breakout year. This season we have the advantage of playing all the tough teams at home, which is going to be huge for us. So I am sticking with my answer of 10-1. When I posted this back in January, I initially said 9-2, but that was back when Beau Baldwin was still with Eastern, now that he's gone, I think it will be a little bit of a rebuilding year for the eagles and we beat them at home this year. That's my thoughts on the season. How about you guys?"

Grizo said:
FYI....your still Idaho. Not the Idaho of the early ‘90s or ‘80s. Should be a good game but not a guaranteed loss

Don't get all butthurt about it little lady. By virtue of the disparity between FBS/FCS we are, all things considered, probably better than the 80's and 90's.

Damn, playing Montana is the only thing I'm looking forward to next year. Honestly, I can't wait. My living room is going to look so dope after the game:

dfefca812ed540bdd662637a6e19f523--bear-rug-grizzly-bears.jpg

BadlandsGrizFan said:
VandalPride97 said:
Griz til I die said:

-----------------

GO GRIZ!

Are you referring to your scholarship numbers?

Already sorted that out, cuz. We're good to go.

Honestly Idaho is kind an enigma going into this season for me. They played better competition over the course of the season by sheer virtue of their FBS schedule.

They beat Sac St 28-6. Sac finished 7-4 overall and 6-2 in the Big Sky but had a real favorable schedule. They did beat SUU but lost to EWU and NAU... also played Weber in a non-conf game (I think) and lost to them. The teams in conference that they beat were Davis, Poly, UNC, UND, & ISU (plus SUU) so one good win and 5 wins against the 5 worst teams in the Big Sky.

Idaho also lost 13-7 to Coastal Carolina who is in the process of moving up. It would seem Coastal won 2 games this whole season...

rivercat said:
Griz til I die prediction last April for 2017. Lol.

"Earlier this year, back in January, I posted a thread asking everyone what our record for this season would be and how far we would go in the playoffs. Now that spring ball is over, I wanted to post the question again because now we know a lot more than we did back in January. my prediction for this season was 10-1. I know what your all thinking, call me crazy, but I seriously think it's possible. Our defense has played great this whole spring, and will continue to get better. Even though our offense was a little bit sluggish today, the talent is still there. I think Gresch will get the starting job at QB. I think Reese really hurt his chances today. I thought Gresch had a pretty good day considering he was only on the field for a limited amount of time today. Not to mention that all of our top LB's and our top RB were out for spring ball. once they all come back, I think it will be a night and day difference between spring ball and the actual season. Now that Jensen has gotten his feet wet in this offense, he is going to be a really good QB there's no doubt about it. Even though the spring game may have seemed somewhat underwhelming today, I saw lots of positive signs all over the field. I like this team and I think it's going to be a breakout year. This season we have the advantage of playing all the tough teams at home, which is going to be huge for us. So I am sticking with my answer of 10-1. When I posted this back in January, I initially said 9-2, but that was back when Beau Baldwin was still with Eastern, now that he's gone, I think it will be a little bit of a rebuilding year for the eagles and we beat them at home this year. That's my thoughts on the season. How about you guys?"

:lol: :lol: :lol: Never gets old slapping some of these guys back into reality! Don't worry, when the official prediction thread comes around there will be 11-0, a bunch of 10-1 and 9-2's..... You'd think they'd learn. With the griz schedule, the'll be underdogs if 5 or 6 games. I'll go with 6-5.

For the Griz:

toss-up games:
- UNI will presumably be the better team with maybe more continuity, but it's at home so that helps us
- UND simply because 2017 was marred by injuries, they still could be a good team, game @UND
- Idaho bc I have no clue (as I posted before) how good they are, I'll say toss-up @ UI

favored to lose:
- Western Illinois, won 8 games last year, game is at their place, early in the season. Tough road trip
- SUU, reigning conference champs, I'll give them the nod until they prove otherwise

favored to win:
- Drake
- Sac State, it's in Wa Griz, will be a tougher game though
- Poly, not sure how good Poly will be this year
- PSU, in Missoula
- Cats, went back and forth on this honestly, the possible challenges the team had could be in the past when this game rolls around, if so I'd think Griz should be favored. Bobby's never lost to MSU in Wa Griz

--------
That would put the Griz most likely in the range of 6-5 to 9-2.... 7-4 or 8-3 probably the more likely outcome at this point.

BWahlberg said:
For the Griz:

toss-up games:
- UNI will presumably be the better team with maybe more continuity, but it's at home so that helps us
- UND simply because 2017 was marred by injuries, they still could be a good team, game @UND
- Idaho bc I have no clue (as I posted before) how good they are, I'll say toss-up @ UI

favored to lose:
- Western Illinois, won 8 games last year, game is at their place, early in the season. Tough road trip
- SUU, reigning conference champs, I'll give them the nod until they prove otherwise

favored to win:
- Drake
- PSU, in Missoula
- Cats, went back and forth on this honestly, the possible challenges the team had could be in the past when this game rolls around, if so I'd think Griz should be favored. Bobby's never lost to MSU in Wa Griz

--------
That would put the Griz most likely in the range of 6-5 to 9-2.... 7-4 or 8-3 probably the more likely outcome at this point.

Kind of forget how decimated they were on D. That one may be shifting closer to the predicted L category, however I have no faith whatsoever in SUU

BWahlberg said:
For the Griz:

toss-up games:

favored to lose:

favored to win:
- Drake
- PSU, in Missoula

--------

Careful...that'll get you fired around these parts! My guess was 7-4, but will see how things go in Spring before committing. :thumb:

Hawkeyebowhunter said:
BWahlberg said:
For the Griz:

toss-up games:

favored to lose:

favored to win:
- Drake
- PSU, in Missoula

--------

Kind of forget how decimated they were on D. That one may be shifting closer to the predicted L category, however I have no faith whatsoever in SUU

Winning the conference championship doesn't seem to bode well the following year. SUU and UND both missed the playoffs and weren't really even in the championship/playoff picture at all in the year they defended their title.

Back