• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Mansch: Grizzlies should try to lure Dickenson back to Missoula

Bowmat

Good story and I wish it could come true!

http://www.greatfallstribune.com/story/sports/2017/11/23/mansch-grizzlies-should-try-lure-dickenson-back-missoula/891699001/

Scott was absolutely right to write this column. Bobby may very well be a forgone conclusion, but it hasn't been formally announced, and Scott is following the "search". And he was stating an OPINION that Haslam should reach out to DD. He never said DD would even consider the job. But I agree with the premise. EVERY SINGLE TIME the Griz job is open, DD should be contacted. No matter how many times he says no thank you. It's called doing your diligence. And Scott was doing his job as a journalist by pointing that out.

And I also wouldn't say NEVER to DD being the Griz head coach. BUT, in order for that to happen, something would have drastically changed in his coaching career. And I hope it never does. I hope he wins many Grey Cups in Calgary and retires as one of the greatest CFL coach/players of all times.

George Ferguson said:
Scott was absolutely right to write this column. Bobby may very well be a forgone conclusion, but it hasn't been formally announced, and Scott is following the "search". And he was stating an OPINION that Haslam should reach out to DD. He never said DD would even consider the job. But I agree with the premise. EVERY SINGLE TIME the Griz job is open, DD should be contacted. No matter how many times he says no thank you. It's called doing your diligence. And Scott was doing his job as a journalist by pointing that out.

And I also wouldn't say NEVER to DD being the Griz head coach. BUT, in order for that to happen, something would have drastically changed in his coaching career. And I hope it never does. I hope he wins many Grey Cups in Calgary and retires as one of the greatest CFL coach/players of all times.

Great words! Looking forward to watching the Grey Cup in Toronto with a bunch of friends. I will be the only Stampeeder fan there but it will be a good time

Dave himself has not completely closed the door to coming back to UM to coach. It is probably still too early as he has a great thing going and his kids are 12 and 10 now I believe. But this article from 2012 shows possible promise in the future should the stars align. As an AD myself, you need to make as many contacts as possible in times like this and keep open lines of communication no matter how infinite the chance may be.

http://missoulian.com/sports/college/montana/football/content-in-canada-dickenson-s-potential-return-to-griz-is/article_8090e9c2-3b0a-11e2-b8f5-001a4bcf887a.html

I wouldn't say never because weird shit happens when people get older and money isn't the driving factor, Coastal Carolina for example, but with Dave ruling the roost right now it would be highly unlikely within the next 10 years if ever.

Dave's brother Craig is coaching in the CFL too with the Saskatchewan Rough Riders. Great guy too and would make a good special teams coach. I know, not going to happen as most of you believe this is a done deal with Bobby Ball 2 returning. Just keeping the LEGEND alive.

Mansch's Op/Ed piece the day after Stitt got canned (he was out for losing to the cats two years in a row, and what a great coach he was, blah, blah, blah.) got me wondering how Stitt's record compared to Delaney's. Per bigskyconf.com I found Stitt was .583 conference and .600 overall. Delaney was .625 and .623 respectively. Stitt was marginally worse than Delaney! Both nice guys, but...six seasons of Twiddle Dee and Twittle Dumb. Haslam should be concerned about this stain on his resume. My suspicion is that Engstrom vetoed Haslam's real choice and thus Stitt got the job. Eunoch Haslam may have grown some balls since Engstrom's departure. Stay tuned.

Back