• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Butte, mt

Back in the 60s and 70s it was a Cats town...Then we got a coach that decided that Butte kids and most Montana kids weren't worth being on the team...That changed it into a major griz town...I think it is coming back around, but still a majority griz town for sure.

SACCAT66 said:
Back in the 60s and 70s it was a Cats town...Then we got a coach that decided that Butte kids and most Montana kids weren't worth being on the team...That changed it into a major griz town...I think it is coming back around, but still a majority griz town for sure.

With Butte being smack dab in between Missoula and Bozeman, I️’d expect it to be a healthy mixture of both fam bases.

GrizMusician said:
SACCAT66 said:

With Butte being smack dab in between Missoula and Bozeman, I️’d expect it to be a healthy mixture of both fam bases.

There use to be. But when one of our old coaches came out and said "I am not going to recruit Montana Kids. if they are good enough, they will come here on their own" The town (and a lot of the state) turned real quick... Sound familiar?

...played in a golf tournament in butte...
...first place was a weekend in anaconda...
...second place was two weekends in anaconda...

... :shock: ...

Neither.......don't think either FB team had a Butte kid on it this year. Back in the day, the Butte High AA 1977 champs put about 10 kids onto either Griz or Cats. That team one of the best ever in MT HS. Undefeated and allowed 20 points against them during the entire season.

Here's an old post I found from 2005 EGriz:

A number of teams deserve consideration, but the best and most dominating Montana high school team that I have seen is the Butte High team of 1977. A previous poster noted that Butte had 14 first team all state players that year and their defense gave up just 20 points during the entire season including the playoffs. What he did not mention is that nine players from that team went on to play for the Griz and Cats on scholarship. The Cat players included Barry Sullivan who started at QB for three plus years. Si Timberman started at FB. Jim Anderson was an All American DB and Mike Carle started at wide receiver. Burle Thompson and Dave Carriger also played. For the Griz, Curt McElroy was a four year starter at middle linebacker and was first team all Big Sky. John Kovacich and Reed Madison started at DB. A number of other players went on to play in the Frontier Conference.

zengriz said:
...played in a golf tournament in butte...
...first place was a weekend in anaconda...
...second place was two weekends in anaconda...

... :shock: ...

Last place you had to live in Andaconda.....

SACCAT66 said:

Being from Butte.....This ^^^^^

The only time you see cat gear is after they win, Griz gear all year round no matter what.
FTC
Most cat fans are closet cat fans ,what does that tell ya

Mousegriz said:
Neither.......don't think either FB team had a Butte kid on it this year. Back in the day, the Butte High AA 1977 champs put about 10 kids onto either Griz or Cats. That team one of the best ever in MT HS. Undefeated and allowed 20 points against them during the entire season.

A number of teams deserve consideration, but the best and most dominating Montana high school team that I have seen is the Butte High team of 1977. A previous poster noted that Butte had 14 first team all state players that year and their defense gave up just 20 points during the entire season including the playoffs. What he did not mention is that nine players from that team went on to play for the Griz and Cats on scholarship. The Cat players included Barry Sullivan who started at QB for three plus years. Si Timberman started at FB. Jim Anderson was an All American DB and Mike Carle started at wide receiver. Burle Thompson and Dave Carriger also played. For the Griz, Curt McElroy was a four year starter at middle linebacker and was first team all Big Sky. John Kovacich and Reed Madison started at DB. A number of other players went on to play in the Frontier Conference.

Ferriter on the Cats is a butte central grad

Mousegriz said:

Hey! Butte High School has a winning record over both the Cats and Griz...can't forget that factoid. Carry on.

Back