• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

"Swagger" is the Stupidest Goal Ever

AllWeatherFan

DONOR
I was disappointed to read that Kent Haslam said: "I do think we need to get that toughness back, that swagger."

Look, I like and respect Kent, but there are plenty of successful coaches out there who are humble, calm, focused, strict, prepared, grounded, disciplined...and who love to win, but couldn't give a shit about "swagger."

John Wooden, for example. Perhaps the most successful college coach in history, in any sport.

Do you think Johnny W would have tolerated, much less encouraged, his players out there strutting around and acting like idiots? I think not. In fact, I think he would have sat their cocky asses on the bench.

Swagger is a style, not a goal. But there are coaches who are extremely successful who have a different style. Let's allow for that possibility. We don't need any more cocky blowhards in positions of leadership in this world.

I think he was referring to confidence, when speaking of swagger. Up until the last 5-6 years the Griz took the field with confidence, confident they would win even when down late. That confidence seems to have been lost. That's different than be cocky.

AllWeatherFan said:
I was disappointed to read that Kent Haslam said: "I do think we need to get that toughness back, that swagger."

Look, I like and respect Kent, but there are plenty of successful coaches out there who are humble, calm, focused, strict, prepared, grounded, disciplined...and who love to win, but couldn't give a shit about "swagger."

John Wooden, for example. Perhaps the most successful college coach in history, in any sport.

Do you think Johnny W would have tolerated, much less encouraged, his players out there strutting around and acting like idiots? I think not. In fact, I think he would have sat their cocky asses on the bench.

Swagger is a style, not a goal. But there are coaches who are extremely successful who have a different style. Let's allow for that possibility. We don't need any more cocky blowhards in positions of leadership in this world.

i see and respect what your saying. There are plenty of great coaches that are more reserved and calm. But it also seems in those instances, they let their football team express that killer instinct for them and had no need to follow suit.. These past two seasons I did not see anything that resembled a killer instinct or toughness from this team. And i don't think it's the players fault.

That’s not a goal, it’s a statement. Goals are measurable. You know like make it to the playoffs or beat the cats or win a championship...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That’s not a goal, it’s a statement. Goals are measurable. You know like make it to the playoffs or beat the cats or win a championship...

The dictionary defines it as: "to conduct oneself in an arrogant or superciliously pompous manner; especially: to walk with an air of overbearing self-confidence."

You want that?

Swagger is just a modern day word for confidence, even though the two words should be not used interchangeably because the definition of swagger indicates arrogance as well.

I have an goal every day to be as swaggerish as possible. I was told the ladies like that sort of thing...kind of like the long ball.

ranco said:
I think he was referring to confidence, when speaking of swagger. Up until the last 5-6 years the Griz took the field with confidence, confident they would win even when down late. That confidence seems to have been lost. That's different than be cocky.

Agree. He was talking about confidence I believe, and I think as much talent as the Griz have had the last few years, the team often seemed flat even for the big games.

AllWeatherFan said:

I agree with you, All Weather unless he meant confidence as mentioned by Ranco.

AllWeatherFan said:
The dictionary defines it as: "to conduct oneself in an arrogant or superciliously pompous manner; especially: to walk with an air of overbearing self-confidence."

You want that?
Yes

It is when you run out on the field knowing you're going to kick the other team's ass. And the other team knows it too.....

AllWeatherFan said:

This thread is just confirms what we have been missing and why we got our asses kicked Saturday.
Talk about stupid

Maybe I don't use the term right. Montana as long as I can recall, has always had what I would call swagger. I like it when UNI has it. Not in an arrogant way. More like a bad ass/confident demeanor to the whole team. I mean that in a good way. Like saying those navy seals are real bad ass. If you have met a seal you know what I mean. Ha, now that I think about it, maybe it is a bit of arrogance also. What ever you call it, Montana always looked like they were ready to punch the other team in the mouth so to speak. Not so much this year in the couple games I saw. Part of the culture change, puff/fluff/stuff maybe? Also from my perspective coming to your stadium is seeming less intimidating. Can't even say why. Just a feeling. Feeling like we can beat you guys there next year. I used to hate having to play you guys in the playoffs. Still glad you are out this year. lol.

I think some people have this ass backwards; you don't have swagger and confidence and then you win, you win and that gives you swagger/confidence. Swagger before winning doesn't make you a winner, it makes you Brian Bosworth, or Tony Mandrich, or Lavar Ball. Winning gives you the confidence/swagger; Larry Bird, Deion Sanders, Ray Lewis.

SaskGriz said:
I think some people have this ass backwards; you don't have swagger and confidence and then you win, you win and that gives you swagger/confidence. Swagger before winning doesn't make you a winner, it makes you Brian Bosworth, or Tony Mandrich, or Lavar Ball. Winning gives you the confidence/swagger; Larry Bird, Deion Sanders, Ray Lewis.

Right on. :thumb:

Miami has swagger. Miami is smug and arrogant. Oregon had that a few years ago but lost it under Helfrich. And I enjoy that, so long as it's not my program. It's fun to watch, and creates an interesting storyline and "villains," if you will, in college football.

Now, Alabama, Ohio State and hell, even Washington has confidence, but it's a different type of confidence. It's that "business as usual" style. It's that "I know what the rankings say, but I do not care" kind of confidence. "Been there, done that."

There's a difference between "swagger" and "knowing you will beat who's in front of you."

AllWeatherFan is absolutely right that swagger is a dumb goal.

Wooden? Dan Gable won 15 titles, c'mon man.
I will just leave this here.
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvvaPtuQFSo[/youtube]

Back