• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

PRESSURE!

ranco

Haslam and the new coach will be under extreme pressure next year, way more than Stitt was this year. Given the talent that returns, especially Jensen, Anything less than an 8-3 regular season will be a huge disappointment and an even better record will be expected by most.

It will be a difficult position for any coach to step into. If next season goes poorly, Haslam will be looking for a job.

I think setting an expectation of 8-3 with a brand new coach would be setting him up for failure. I'd love for that outcome to actually occur, but is that the expectation I will have? Definitely not. Its pretty hard to just flip a switch from one regime to another and immediately be successful in a new head coaches first season, let alone winning more that 8-9 games with a tough non-conference schedule and a competitive BSC that now include Idaho.

ranco said:
Haslam and the new coach will be under extreme pressure next year, way more than Stitt was this year. Given the talent that returns, especially Jensen, Anything less than an 8-3 regular season will be a huge disappointment and an even better record will be expected by most.

It will be a difficult position for any coach to step into. If next season goes poorly, Haslam will be looking for a job.

I see what you’re saying, but I think any future head coach/AD at UM is under pressure....especially concerning the football program. Beating Bozeman State, competing for a conference title, getting into the playoffs, and competing for NC every year is a standard. I understand that every year will not result in a championship of some kind, but competing for them should be commonplace.

The current roster has the talent for the right coach to step in and have a chance to be successful right away IMO. Time will tell...

Stitt went 21-14 here in 3 years...like a 7-4 average and he was shown the door. I think pressure here is well known. I doubt there has ever been an FCS coach with that type of production in his first 3 years shown the door.

ari gold said:
I think setting an expectation of 8-3 with a brand new coach would be setting him up for failure. I'd love for that outcome to actually occur, but is that the expectation I will have? Definitely not. Its pretty hard to just flip a switch from one regime to another and immediately be successful in a new head coaches first season, let alone winning more that 8-9 games with a tough non-conference schedule and a competitive BSC that now include Idaho.

BSC was competitive this year because there are a bunch of mediocre teams IMO. Not one of the teams in the BSC this year would have finished better than 3rd in the MVC.

Hawkeyebowhunter said:
ari gold said:

BSC was competitive this year because there are a bunch of mediocre teams IMO. Not one of the teams in the BSC this year would have finished better than 3rd in the MVC.
That's been pretty much true for the last five years with a couple of exceptions.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

ari gold said:

Not that I disagree with anything you said however, alot of posters have said all year long how a first year coach can be successful and how Hauck would win 10 games with this team. So yeah there will be very high expectations for the new coach and posters will bitch about him after a couple loses.

Mavman said:
ari gold said:

Not that I disagree with anything you said however, alot of posters have said all year long how a first year coach can be successful and how Hauck would win 10 games with this team. So yeah there will be very high expectations for the new coach and posters will bitch about him after a couple loses.

I don't think its unattainable, and wouldn't be surprised if a Hauck team came out and performed well but I would encourage people to no set the bar so high, because the odds are against that kind of season for a first year coach. Again, not saying it cant happen, but I don't expect it to.

ranco said:

Like I've posted before....It's more than wins at this point....we need intensity, and an understanding of the tradition at Montana (includes recruiting MT kids, beating state....) going forward. Stitt did not appear to have either of those. Whoever takes over will have a longer "leash" if he demonstrates both a greater intensity and a better appreciation for Montana football (rivalry with state, MT recruits, ties to boosters).

You all think Jensen will even stay? If a pro style offense coach comes in? I promise we will see some WRs leave. Let’s all pray for a coaching choice within a few days to minimize losses

mtgrizfankb said:
You all think Jensen will even stay? If a pro style offense coach comes in? I promise we will see some WRs leave. Let’s all pray for a coaching choice within a few days to minimize losses

Maybe a few more of those WR's that played safety or CB in HS can swap sides of the ball...seems to have worked out alright for Nash. :thumb:

mtgrizfankb said:
I do, we have receivers to burn now. Also, the best corner we ever had came here as a wr. Jensen is a good passer with room to grow and the ability to break the pocket. He’ll be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DuCharme said:
21-14 in three years is closer to a 7-5 avg. That’s one game over .500.
Bold statement, you really think people here understand how that works?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dupuyer griz said:
DuCharme said:
Obviously Hookedongriz didn't with his selective rounding to favor his point.

kemajic said:
dupuyer griz said:
DuCharme said:

7-4.6 then, is that better. Still doesn't change the point I was making that I bet there has never been another FCS coach shown the door with that type of production

ranco said:

Yep...because it was HIS idea to re-hire BH (possibly) and set the 2-3 year rebuilding train in motion again. The boosters/athletic directors can't have it both ways. It's hilarious on here people pointing to JMU or NDSU as the poster child of taking over a program and doing well immediately. NDSU hired internally and there was minimal changes. JMU had some significant FBS talent drop down, so much so that i think i read 1/3 of the starters (7/22 or 8/22 if I remember) were FBS players. Granted I think Stitt needed 1 more year, and I will cheer for the Griz next season, but THIS IS NOT ALABAMA OR LSU and some people need to realize that!

HookedonGriz said:
kemajic said:
dupuyer griz said:
DuCharme said:

7-4.6 then, is that better. Still doesn't change the point I was making that I bet there has never been another FCS coach shown the door with that type of production

i think that hubris got in the way, all started with the tee shirts. if you proclaim yourself a genius that sets up the fall. meet a big donor in spokane that felt that from year one.

Kent relieved pressure on himself. If he had kept Stitt and things went poorly next year he was probably out or at least under great pressure. People may hope a new coach can come in and take the torch from Stitt and jump on a new track and win big but that is not easy. Next year may be a little rough even if Hauck is the coach. Its just not that easy. I do think Hauck knows how to win and would be successful but it might not happen in year 1 or 2. I think Haslam bought himself some benefit of the doubt for next year.

cmtgrizzly said:
Kent relieved pressure on himself. If he had kept Stitt and things went poorly next year he was probably out or at least under great pressure. People may hope a new coach can come in and take the torch from Stitt and jump on a new track and win big but that is not easy. Next year may be a little rough even if Hauck is the coach. Its just not that easy. I do think Hauck knows how to win and would be successful but it might not happen in year 1 or 2. I think Haslam bought himself some benefit of the doubt for next year.

You might be right, but it is a bit controversial releasing a coach with a 7-4 record, with a potentially great freshman QB that he recruited. The expectation has to be that a new coach will do better, I know 90% of egriz will think so. If we don't do better and lose to the Cats, I think KH will be saddled with it and sent packing. The new coach might get another year or two.

Back