• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Another candidate

cmtgrizzly

I know everyone is waiting for Hauck to be announced as coach but just for a change I thought some might like some info on another reported candidate.

From NIU website- Kevin Kane

A familiar face at NIU as a member of the Huskie coaching staff from 2011-14, Kevin Kane returned to Northern Illinois University as defensive coordinator and linebackers coach on January 6, 2016 after spending the 2015 season coaching linebackers at his alma mater, the University of Kansas.

He will lead the NIU safeties in addiiton to his coordinator duties in 2017.

In his first season as defensive coordinator, the Huskies led the MAC in red zone defense, while senior linebackers Jamaal Payton and Sean Folliard tied for the team lead in tackles and led NIU in tackles for loss.

Kane helped construct the NIU defense while coaching the Huskie linebackers from 2012-14 after spending his initial season at NIU coaching the tight ends and fullbacks in 2011. Kane also coordinated the Huskies’ special teams his final two seasons. In all, he was a part of three MAC Championship teams in DeKalb and coached four players to All-MAC honors, including first team All-MAC linebacker Jamaal Bass.

Kane originally came to NIU as a member of former head coach Dave Doeren’s staff after working on the football staff at the University of Wisconsin from 2008-10. At UW, he was a graduate assistant for the 2008 and 2009 seasons before serving as the Quality Control Assistant for the Badger defense in 2010. He earned a master’s degree in education from Wisconsin in 2010.

Prior to going to Wisconsin, the Kansas City, Mo. native was a graduate assistant coach at his alma mater for two seasons. In 2007 he was part of the KU coaching staff that led the Jayhawks to the 2008 Orange Bowl Championship. Kane earned a bachelor of general studies in communication studies from KU in 2006.

As a Kansas linebacker tutored by former Huskies’ head coach Dave Doeren, Kane earned honorable mention All-Big 12 accolades from the Associated Press following both his junior and senior seasons and was a three-time Academic All-Big 12 honoree. He won KU’s Nolan Cromwell Award for Leadership following his junior year and served as a team captain as a senior. He also won a state championship as a high school junior at Rockhurst High School in Missouri.

He and his wife, Theresa, have two sons, Jack and Colin.

COACHING EXPERIENCE

2016 NIU (Defensive Coordinator/Linebackers)
2015 Kansas (Linebackers)
2011-14 NIU
Linebackers/Special Teams Coord. (2013-)
Linebackers (2012)
Tight Ends/Fullbacks (2011)
2008-10 Wisconsin
Quality Control (2010)
Graduate Assistant (2008-09)
2006-07 Kansas (Student Assistant)
POSTSEASON EXPERIENCE

2014 Boca Raton Bowl (NIU)
2013 Poinsettia Bowl (NIU)
2013 Orange Bowl (NIU)
2012 GoDaddy.com Bowl (NIU)
2011 Rose Bowl (Wisconsin)
2009 Champs Sports Bowl (Wisconsin)
2008 Champs Sports Bowl (Wisconsin)
2008 Orange Bowl (Kansas)
2005 Fort Worth Bowl (Kansas, Player)
2003 Tangerine Bowl (Kansas, Player)
PLAYING EXPERIENCE

2002-05 Kansas (Linebacker)
EDUCATION

College B.S., Kansas, 2006
M.S., Wisconsin, 2010
High School Rockhurst, 2002
PERSONAL

Birthdate Dec. 18, 1983
Birthplace Kansas City, Mo.
Hometown Kansas City, Mo.
Family Wife, Theresa, sons Jack (3) and Colin (1)

Was looking at this earlier. Watched an interview with him as well. Seems to really have a strong defensive mind

RayWill said:
Was looking at this earlier. Watched an interview with him as well. Seems to really have a strong defensive

Wouldnt mind a defensive coach. I will go look up some more on him.

RayWill said:
Was looking at this earlier. Watched an interview with him as well. Seems to really have a strong defensive mind

Personally, given the talent we have, it might not be a bad idea to look for an offensive minded coach just to make sure things don't go completely kaput in 2018.

Stop_HammerTime69 said:
RayWill said:

Personally, given the talent we have, it might not be a bad idea to look for an offensive minded coach just to make sure things don't go completely kaput in 2018.
Kind of where I was at. I don't think UM can withstand two to three years of changing an offensive scheme again.

RayWill said:
Stop_HammerTime69 said:
RayWill said:

Kind of where I was at. I don't think UM can withstand two to three years of changing an offensive scheme again.
Not sure why anyone thinks that looking at a defensive minded coach requires a scheme adjustment??? You all know we can run a spread offense while having a good defense...right???

RobGriz said:
RayWill said:
Stop_HammerTime69 said:
RayWill said:

Not sure why anyone thinks that looking at a defensive minded coach requires a scheme adjustment??? You all know we can run a spread offense while having a good defense...right???

Comes from a background of Pro Style and Ground and pound teams. Most likely would run what he is most familiar with.

RayWill said:
RobGriz said:
RayWill said:
Stop_HammerTime69 said:

Comes from a background of Pro Style and Ground and pound teams. Most likely would run what he is most familiar with.
Would be easy to run a transitional offense next year and as you get guys and transfers roll into what you want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

if it isnt Hauck (I dont think it will be) I really like what i see from Northern Illinois Defensive Coordinator Kevin Kane. Watch his interviews and study him a bit, he is a up and comer. NIU's Defense has been one of the top 10 in FBS this year only his 2nd year as a DC. I dont know much about him but what I have saw I really liked. Does anyone know if he has any Montana ties? For him to be named as a person of interest from the get go tells me he must have some sort of Montana connections. here is a link to when NIU beat Nebraska:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k36B4MRuStM

robbieswartz1 said:
if it isnt Hauck (I dont think it will be) I really like what i see from Northern Illinois Defensive Coordinator Kevin Kane. Watch his interviews and study him a bit, he is a up and comer. NIU's Defense has been one of the top 10 in FBS this year only his 2nd year as a DC. I dont know much about him but what I have saw I really liked. Does anyone know if he has any Montana ties? For him to be named as a person of interest from the get go tells me he must have some sort of Montana connections. here is a link to when NIU beat Nebraska:

Agree he is a very solid looking choice

robbieswartz1 said:

Like Kane, no real Montana ties, beating Nebraska meant something years ago. Good to see continued discussion on possible coaches on egriz but note it’s not coming from UM athletics or media....

RobGriz said:
RayWill said:
Stop_HammerTime69 said:
RayWill said:

Doesn't seem sometimes your face is in your palm alot around here on egriz
Do you think people proof read just a little or none at all .
Lol

TCCGRIZ said:
RobGriz said:
RayWill said:
Stop_HammerTime69 said:

Doesn't seems sometimes your face is in your palm alot around here on egriz
Do you think people proof read just a little or none at all .
Lol

:thumb:

He was mentored by Dave Doeren who was a member of Griz coaching staff, including 2001 I believe, so that may be the connection, just guessing and trying to connect the dots

Possible Montana tie I know for sure is Richard Hageman from Jordan, MT played and started coaching for Rob Ash at Montana State is Kevin Kane's G.A. and felt was pushed out at MSU by Choate and Co. Not sure if that has anything to do with him being rumored, but it is a Montana connection.
Note, Dave Doeren also played and then started coaching under Ash...

WyomingGrizFan said:
http://www.utahstateaggies.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/reeves_david00.html
This guy?

https://www.google.com/amp/billingsgazette.com/sports/college/reeves-resigns-as-rocky-football-coach/article_fc833658-7c8f-11de-add1-001cc4c03286.amp.html

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

grzz said:
WyomingGrizFan said:
http://www.utahstateaggies.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/reeves_david00.html
This guy?

https://www.google.com/amp/billingsgazette.com/sports/college/reeves-resigns-as-rocky-football-coach/article_fc833658-7c8f-11de-add1-001cc4c03286.amp.html

They're one and the same? I guess you're right. Forget it. I thought the one at Rocky spelled his names Reaves. Sorry about that.

Back