• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Coaching Search Starts

Paytonlives

Staff member
So far its been reported that :

Bobby Hauck (San Diego State- Special Teams)
Brent Pease (Unattached)
Kevin Kane (N. Illinois- Def Coordinator)

Lets try to keep this to coaches that have applied or have contacted UM

cmtgrizzly said:
I know everyone is waiting for Hauck to be announced as coach but just for a change I thought some might like some info on another reported candidate.

From NIU website- Kevin Kane

A familiar face at NIU as a member of the Huskie coaching staff from 2011-14, Kevin Kane returned to Northern Illinois University as defensive coordinator and linebackers coach on January 6, 2016 after spending the 2015 season coaching linebackers at his alma mater, the University of Kansas.

He will lead the NIU safeties in addiiton to his coordinator duties in 2017.

In his first season as defensive coordinator, the Huskies led the MAC in red zone defense, while senior linebackers Jamaal Payton and Sean Folliard tied for the team lead in tackles and led NIU in tackles for loss.

Kane helped construct the NIU defense while coaching the Huskie linebackers from 2012-14 after spending his initial season at NIU coaching the tight ends and fullbacks in 2011. Kane also coordinated the Huskies’ special teams his final two seasons. In all, he was a part of three MAC Championship teams in DeKalb and coached four players to All-MAC honors, including first team All-MAC linebacker Jamaal Bass.

Kane originally came to NIU as a member of former head coach Dave Doeren’s staff after working on the football staff at the University of Wisconsin from 2008-10. At UW, he was a graduate assistant for the 2008 and 2009 seasons before serving as the Quality Control Assistant for the Badger defense in 2010. He earned a master’s degree in education from Wisconsin in 2010.

Prior to going to Wisconsin, the Kansas City, Mo. native was a graduate assistant coach at his alma mater for two seasons. In 2007 he was part of the KU coaching staff that led the Jayhawks to the 2008 Orange Bowl Championship. Kane earned a bachelor of general studies in communication studies from KU in 2006.

As a Kansas linebacker tutored by former Huskies’ head coach Dave Doeren, Kane earned honorable mention All-Big 12 accolades from the Associated Press following both his junior and senior seasons and was a three-time Academic All-Big 12 honoree. He won KU’s Nolan Cromwell Award for Leadership following his junior year and served as a team captain as a senior. He also won a state championship as a high school junior at Rockhurst High School in Missouri.

He and his wife, Theresa, have two sons, Jack and Colin.

COACHING EXPERIENCE

2016 NIU (Defensive Coordinator/Linebackers)
2015 Kansas (Linebackers)
2011-14 NIU
Linebackers/Special Teams Coord. (2013-)
Linebackers (2012)
Tight Ends/Fullbacks (2011)
2008-10 Wisconsin
Quality Control (2010)
Graduate Assistant (2008-09)
2006-07 Kansas (Student Assistant)
POSTSEASON EXPERIENCE

2014 Boca Raton Bowl (NIU)
2013 Poinsettia Bowl (NIU)
2013 Orange Bowl (NIU)
2012 GoDaddy.com Bowl (NIU)
2011 Rose Bowl (Wisconsin)
2009 Champs Sports Bowl (Wisconsin)
2008 Champs Sports Bowl (Wisconsin)
2008 Orange Bowl (Kansas)
2005 Fort Worth Bowl (Kansas, Player)
2003 Tangerine Bowl (Kansas, Player)
PLAYING EXPERIENCE

2002-05 Kansas (Linebacker)
EDUCATION

College B.S., Kansas, 2006
M.S., Wisconsin, 2010
High School Rockhurst, 2002
PERSONAL

Birthdate Dec. 18, 1983
Birthplace Kansas City, Mo.
Hometown Kansas City, Mo.
Family Wife, Theresa, sons Jack (3) and Colin (1)

I like the idea of a younger coach...but Kaine (34) may be a bit too young to handle a program with this level of expectations.

I vote home grown. Hauck’s learning curve is flat. He will win and will win quickly. No on the job training just get er done! Don’t mess this up Haslem.

I would have liked to see how Stitt would do next year, minus at Semore and Niekamp for starters. I also wanted to see Bobby back when after Mick retired. We will never know how Hauck would have done had he been chosen instead of Stitt at that time, and we will never know how Stitt would have done if he was still our HC next year.

With that said, if Haslam really let Stitt go without already knowing who his replacement would most certainly be he isn't an AD I have any faith in.

I would be floored if this "coach search" charade goes on for very long. I would say Kent knew which direction he was going Saturday night. Just gotta ink it and make it official.

nzone said:
I vote home grown. Hauck’s learning curve is flat. He will win and will win quickly. No on the job training just get er done! Don’t mess this up Haslem.

My gut would be he hires Hauck. He had the opertunity to do that 3 years ago and went with Stitt. We'll, that didn't work, so my guess is he goes with Hauck this time. Just my gut.

signedbewildered said:
I would have liked to see how Stitt would do next year, minus at Semore and Niekamp for starters. I also wanted to see Bobby back when after Mick retired. We will never know how Hauck would have done had he been chosen instead of Stitt at that time, and we will never know how Stitt would have done if he was still our HC next year.

With that said, if Haslam really let Stitt go without already knowing who his replacement would most certainly be he isn't an AD I have any faith in.

I would be floored if this "coach search" charade goes on for very long. I would say Kent knew which direction he was going Saturday night. Just gotta ink it and make it official.

That would be my guess also...

Hauck makes 350k. Get real unless AD and Griz Athletics cough up$$$. Bobby H will be next SD Coach when Long retires.

AD fires Head Coach to save his own job. Bad deal this was done without a plan.

nzone said:

I agree that Hauck probably makes the most sense at this point as it makes for a smoother transition and he is a known successful quantity at this level. However just in case the ink isnt dry and for some reason Hauck doesnt sign on this guy might be alright. He has dealt with offenses that leave the D on the field alot. Of course he may completely change the O if selected.

Excerpts from the Chicago tribune-

Mike HelfgotContact Reporter
Chicago Tribune

.... No. 35 national ranking is inflated by an offense that plays fast and hasn't consistently stayed on the field.

The Huskies' 3.61 yards allowed per play, which ranks seventh in the nation, is the more telling statistic.

True the money is bigger in SD. But it will go further here. There are also family ties to consider. The comfort of home could easily make up for the $100k ish he would be missing out on. I wouldn’t rule him out.

One would think that Kent knows he's got to get this right or he may not weather the next storm either. If Hauck would come back it would be the smart and safest hire. Haucks record speaks for its self and be honest. Griz football has been on a slide since he left. I also think the new incoming president may be someone Hauck could work with. Bottom line, Kent can't afford another experiment, go with past success provide he wants it. Would love to see that 2009 excitement back, remember the app st game?

Proud of AD Haslam for stepping up to the plate now finish it! "HIRE" Bobby Hauck ASAP before it's to late!!!

Recognize the AD has a protocol he has to abide by. Official search, interview minority candidates, etc. He could have his man and it could still take some time.

Dark Horse, Mike Lynch Syracuse OC is interested he started as walk-on griz and GA for Dennehy. One of the best people on the planet. Great coach passionate players coach. He would take the pay cut and come back.

Xgriz96 said:
Dark Horse, Mike Lynch Syracuse OC is interested he started as walk-on griz and GA for Dennehy. One of the best people on the planet. Great coach passionate players coach. He would take the pay cut and come back.

Do you know if he is an active candidate for the job. Has he contacted UM or vice versa?

Don’t think he is on Haslems radar yet. Spoke to him today and we are trying to get Haslem to talk to him. Although, he doesn’t have any real booster support yet we will see.

Xgriz96 said:
Don’t think he is on Haslems radar yet. Spoke to him today and we are trying to get Haslem to talk to him. Although, he doesn’t have any real booster support yet we will see.

In all seriousness, Mike Lynch intrigues me. IF he could bring the nastiness back to Missoula. His offensive schemes seem similar to Stitt’s. It could be a more seamless transfer. Also, his Montana ties are a big plus as well. Lots of ifs, but interesting nonetheless.

Hauck is history, forget about him. Do you know what he allowed in the locker room of his (our Griz) team? You Don't want to know. I will not share (disgusting). The same happened in Neavada

kemajic said:
Recognize the AD has a protocol he has to abide by. Official search, interview minority candidates, etc. He could have his man and it could still take some time.

Thank you for bringing some sanity to this. Funny how so many people don't know how any of this works but are quick to make judgements and proclamations.

MTGRZ said:
kemajic said:

Thank you for bringing some sanity to this. Funny how so many people don't know how any of this works but are quick to make judgements and proclamations.

:lol: look closely, just under there Griz Banner, you’ll find that this is the mission statement of the board.

Back