• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

2017 Simple Rating System

PlayerRep

Griz 30. EWU at 24. UNH, a playoff team, at 31. 3 ineligibles above the Griz.

1. James Madison
2. North Dakota St
3. South Dakota St
4. Southern Utah
5. Central Arkansas
6. Jacksonville St
7. Weber St
8. Yale
9. Western Illinois
10. Sam Houston St
11. Stony Brook
12. NC A&T
13. Samford
14. Kennesaw St
15. Furman
16. UNI
17. Wofford
18. South Dakota
19. McNeese
20. Elon
21. Delaware
22. Northern Arizona
23. Monmouth
24. Eastern Washington
25. Richmond
26. Youngstown St
27. Grambling
28. Nicholls St
29. Illinois St
30. Montana
31. New Hampshire
32. Sacramento St
33. Dartmouth
34. Columbia
35. Central Connecticut St
36. Austin Peay
37. Bethune-Cookman
38. Mercer
39. Southeastern Louisiana
40. San Diego
76. Lehigh

I would say we got screwed with them putting UNH in, but by all accounts EWU was easily the most screwed team here. They deserved to be in.

uofmman1122 said:
I would say we got screwed with them putting UNH in, but by all accounts EWU was easily the most screwed team here. They deserved to be in.

Maybe EWU was screwed, but outside of Furman, I think most other at-large selections either had more wins or beat another playoff team. EWU lacked any quality win.

So NAUs win over 29 was the defining win? MUCH more impressive than EWU win over 30 :roll: , the same 30 that beat NAU. So not only did the MVC get 5 in, they also were the reason NAU made it, it seems...

I think Nicholls St getting in is a head scratcher. They didn't best anyone and had a bad loss to end the season to a 5-5 team.

HelenaHandBasket said:
uofmman1122 said:

Maybe EWU was screwed, but outside of Furman, I think most other at-large selections either had more wins or beat another playoff team. EWU lacked any quality win.

What was NAUs quality win?

AZDoc said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
uofmman1122 said:

Supposedly Illinois St? They were ranked 11 when NAU beat them. I think EWU deserves to be in over NAU. I think both deserve to be in over Nicholls St

AZDoc said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
uofmman1122 said:

It would seem wins over the MVC carry more weight than wins over Montana. Still not sure EWU has a gripe about NAU getting in.

HelenaHandBasket said:
AZDoc said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
uofmman1122 said:

It would seem wins over the MVC carry more weight than wins over Montana. Still not sure EWU has a gripe about NAU getting in.

This gripe from the EWU board carries some weight IMO:

We lose by 18 at SUU, NAU loses by 28 at SUU. We beat Montana by 7 at Home, NAU loses by 2 to Montana at Home. We beat Portland State by 26 at home, they beat Portland State by 22 on the road. We beat Montana State at home by 12, NAU beat Montana State by 1 at home. We beat Sac State by 21 on the road, NAU beats Sac State by 20 at home. We were 4-1 against common opponents (PSU, Sac St,, UM, MSU, and SUU), and NAU was 3-2 with both us losing to SUU. and NAU also losing to Montana. We outscored the same 5 common opponents 228 - 170 (+58) and NAU outscores the same opponents 151 - 138 (+13), yet somehow they are in and we are out. Also consider we won 7 of our last nine so we were streaking in a positive direction while NAU lost 2 of their last 3. Just some things that make you go HMMM.

uofmman1122 said:
We screwed ourselves; we had our chance. Not up to it.

HookedonGriz said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
AZDoc said:
HelenaHandBasket said:

We lose by 18 at SUU, NAU loses by 28 at SUU. We beat Montana by 7 at Home, NAU loses by 2 to Montana at Home. We beat Portland State by 26 at home, they beat Portland State by 22 on the road. We beat Montana State at home by 12, NAU beat Montana State by 1 at home. We beat Sac State by 21 on the road, NAU beats Sac State by 20 at home. We were 4-1 against common opponents (PSU, Sac St,, UM, MSU, and SUU), and NAU was 3-2 with both us losing to SUU. and NAU also losing to Montana. We outscored the same 5 common opponents 228 - 170 (+58) and NAU outscores the same opponents 151 - 138 (+13), yet somehow they are in and we are out. Also consider we won 7 of our last nine so we were streaking in a positive direction while NAU lost 2 of their last 3. Just some things that make you go HMMM.

But they don't base the decision only on Conference games. NAU probably has the best win of the 2 teams. It is 2 7-4 teams that did not play, and it would seem NAU got more credit for what they accomplished. Bummer. And I still think NAU got credit for the Cookus factor against Montana.

kemajic said:
uofmman1122 said:
We screwed ourselves; we had our chance. Not up to it.
Oh, sure. No objection here.

But the bubble was extremely weak this year, and the committee made some really baffling choices.

HelenaHandBasket said:
HookedonGriz said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
AZDoc said:

But they don't base the decision only on Conference games. NAU probably has the best win of the 2 teams. It is 2 7-4 teams that did not play, and it would seem NAU got more credit for what they accomplished. Bummer. And I still think NAU got credit for the Cookus factor against Montana.

Totally hear what you're saying and you and I agree on a lot. But the committee always talks how they'll dive pretty deep and look at everything when it comes down to picking one team over another, especially in this instance where you're both in the big sky and both at 7-4. I would have thought common opponents and score differential and SOS would have been heavily weighed between these two, and my gut says then you pick EWU with all those factors. Instead it seemed the committee solely looked at one quality win that NAU had which EWU didn't and based entire decision on that.

uofmman1122 said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
grizfan95 said:
New Hampshire getting in was the joke of the whole thing.

Yet they still had a better win with the same record as EWU or Montana.
And two awful losses, including being shut out by 4-7 Albany yesterday.

But when you are talking bubble teams, they all have issues. It would seem with these teams, they gave more weight to number of wins and who you beat.

HelenaHandBasket said:
uofmman1122 said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
grizfan95 said:
New Hampshire getting in was the joke of the whole thing.

Yet they still had a better win with the same record as EWU or Montana.
And two awful losses, including being shut out by 4-7 Albany yesterday.

But when you are talking bubble teams, they all have issues. It would seem with these teams, they gave more weight to number of wins and who you beat.
Fair enough. Definitely seemed to be the case with NAU over EWU, as well.

It’s odd, I feel like the big sigh teams that got in have really good defenses. I also noticed the real high octane offenses are not in. I wonder if there is a correlation?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back