• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Coaching vs. Execution

putter

DONOR
Just an honest question.. Which was the worst? The 3rd down calls were horrible and there is no excuse to blitz in those situations. I went back and watched some of the first half and I noticed that there were quite a few plays where guys were out of position. You have to play your gaps and there were guys who were missing assignments and leaving gaps open. Not excusing Semore but the players also have to execute the game plan.

Who is responsible to get the players to do the assignmemts? Or if players won't, to replace them with ones that will execute. These fundamental mistakes have plagued the defense for 2 years. First was excused as young....then not playing as team trusting each other....wonder what they will say now?

putter said:
Just an honest question.. Which was the worst? The 3rd down calls were horrible and there is no excuse to blitz in those situations. I went back and watched some of the first half and I noticed that there were quite a few plays where guys were out of position. You have to play your gaps and there were guys who were missing assignments and leaving gaps open. Not excusing Semore but the players also have to execute the game plan.
So, you have to ask if the scheme is sound. IMO, if players are out of position occasionally than you can blame the kids, but when it consistently occurs over and over? That’s a scheme issue. Again, just my $.02

Ursus1 said:
Who is responsible to get the players to do the assignmemts? Or if players won't, to replace them with ones that will execute. These fundamental mistakes have plagued the defense for 2 years. First was excused as young....then not playing as team trusting each other....wonder what they will say now?

They’ll say the staff needs 10-12 years to “get their guys”

I know some people won't like this, and I have stated it before, but execution from the safety position has been a big issue all season.

HelenaHandBasket said:
I know some people won't like this, and I have stated it before, but execution from the safety position has been a big issue all season.

I agree with you, no doubt. Poor angles, poor coverage, poor tackling. Lucky we didn’t play an 0-27 Poly team...that’d been a disaster for them

Guys weren't out of position. That suggests that were lined up wrong. The game plan was good. The one play call mistake mistake was sending the house in 3rd and forever which resulted in a 70 TD untouched up the middle when all they needed to do was prevent a 1st down and they would have forced a punt.
As far as the game plan, it was sound. I know what it was.the D line was to play man up, take on the Oline straight up, don't shoot gaps and don't create open lanes and let the LB's clean up. For the most part that is what the Dline did. There were missed assignments by the second level. Not many but it only takes a few. As the game went on you could see that the interior guys started to shoot gaps which opened lanes which didn't happen in the 1st half.
Playing defense against MSU is no different than playing a triple option team. You have to stay with your assignments. MSU ran the ball 56 times. Miss assignments on a half dozen run plays and that's all it takes.
Definitely execution over coaching. The coaches didn't drop drive killing wide open passes in the 1st half. They didn't throw an interception at the worst possible time. They didn't miss assignments. They didn't call the phantom pass interference on MSU's first score, they didn't call the a fumble on a clear forward pass and they didn't not call a clear pass interference on their final offensive play.
Hats off to MSU. They had a game plan they stuck with. They ran the ball and they burned the clock. Murray played as well as he will ever play.
We stopped ourselves more than they stopped us.

PSLGriz said:
Guys weren't out of position. That suggests that were lined up wrong. The game plan was good. The one play call mistake mistake was sending the house in 3rd and forever which resulted in a 70 TD untouched up the middle when all they needed to do was prevent a 1st down and they would have forced a punt.
As far as the game plan, it was sound. I know what it was.the D line was to play man up, take on the Oline straight up, don't shoot gaps and don't create open lanes and let the LB's clean up. For the most part that is what the Dline did. There were missed assignments by the second level. Not many but it only takes a few. As the game went on you could see that the interior guys started to shoot gaps which opened lanes which didn't happen in the 1st half.
Playing defense against MSU is no different than playing a triple option team. You have to stay with your assignments. MSU ran the ball 56 times. Miss assignments on a half dozen run plays and that's all it takes.
Definitely execution over coaching. The coaches didn't drop drive killing wide open passes in the 1st half. They didn't throw an interception at the worst possible time. They didn't miss assignments. They didn't call the phantom pass interference on MSU's first score, they didn't call the a fumble on a clear forward pass and they didn't not call a clear pass interference on their final offensive play.
Hats off to MSU. They had a game plan they stuck with. They ran the ball and they burned the clock. Murray played as well as he will ever play.
OMG, hard to believe anyone is either that naïve or so invested in the coaching staff. Execution is the main product of coaching. Most coaching staffs can stop a QB draw when it keeps coming, especially against a one dimensional QB that you can overload. When he reads pressure he draws. Real complicated.

HelenaHandBasket said:
ATLCAT said:
Missing Ty Gregorak like a mutha fracker now, huh? Lol

Not really, I am for better.

What is your dislike of TG based on? What don't you like? Do you know him? Who told you these things?

I have always liked TG, and have known him since he came to UM. My wife likes him. We like how he coaches. We like his passion. Virtually all of his players love him. My wife and I ran into one of his NFL guys last night, and he spoke very highly of TG. He was many very good friends in Missoula and Griz nation, many of him top supporters of the program. He seems to have taken a weak Cat D and made it into a good, and yesterday a very good, D. Most Cat fans seems to like and appreciate him. My impression is that Choate likes and gets along with him. Last summer, I talked to a Cat player from Missoula, and he said that the Cats won the game last year because of TG and that he is a very good coach.

Please don't both to bring up in the Boulder strip club incident, because the tape showed that he wasn't in the club and hotel video and workers show/say he wasn't seen carrying anything into the hotel. Yes, when he was in his early 20's, he went out on the town and drank at times. Most of that was not evident by the time he came back to Missoula the second time. He is hardly the first young UM coach to go out and drink too much.

Don't what happened on the long 3d and long, but commented on it immediately in the game thread.

Safeties were supposed to have contain several times but didn't, especially on speed options. Assume that resulted more from execution than scheme, but suppose it could have been caused in part by a new wrinkle put in by Cats. Cats have the essence of the triple option in their playbook, and have used it at times this season. They probe with it, to see what may work, and then use it more. On one play, a safety was in perfect position to make the tackle or force the play inside, but let the runner get outside. In the first half, there were 2 or 3 plays where there was no one seeming to be in contain or to have the pitch man. Many of you have noted the same thing.

kemajic said:
PSLGriz said:
OMG, hard to believe anyone is either that naïve or so invested in the coaching staff. Execution is the main product of coaching. Most coaching staffs can stop a QB draw when it keeps coming, especially against a one dimensional QB that you can overload. When he reads pressure he draws. Real complicated.
Since you are so vocal on the situation, what is your solution? Please provide a realistic name, not just bs like "we need a new coach" or "Chip Kelly is available". How many years are you willing to give your coach to win the Big Sky, what happens if he loses to the cats or doesnt make the playoffs? We all would love for the Griz to return to dominance and hope your guy can get it done.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

PlayerRep said:
Don't what happened on the long 3d and long, but commented on it immediately in the game thread.

Safeties were supposed to have contain several times but didn't, especially on speed options. Assume that resulted more from execution than scheme, but suppose it could have been caused in part by a new wrinkle put in by Cats. Cats have the essence of the triple option in their playbook, and have used it at times this season. They probe with it, to see what may work, and then use it more. On one play, a safety was in perfect position to make the tackle or force the play inside, but let the runner get outside. In the first half, there were 2 or 3 plays where there was no one seeming to be in contain or to have the pitch man. Many of you have noted the same thing.

So dare I say coaching from...the secondary coach???

With TG Griz would have won....without they lost. Not saying he is the best, but a Hell of a lot better than "Semore cat losses"

And PR is correct, players loved to play for him and would run through a wall for him.

grizfnz said:
kemajic said:
PSLGriz said:
Since you are so vocal on the situation, what is your solution? Please provide a realistic name, not just bs like "we need a new coach" or "Chip Kelly is available". How many years are you willing to give your coach to win the Big Sky, what happens if he loses to the cats or doesnt make the playoffs? We all would love for the Griz to return to dominance and hope your guy can get it done.
Don't have a guy; just the fortitude to go for change when you can tell what you have is not going to get it done. I trust Haslam would not make the same mistake the second time. He has to have the balls to do it, though. Fear of change is not a virtue.

Ursus1 said:
With TG Griz would have won....without they lost. Not saying he is the best, but a Hell of a lot better than "Semore cat losses"

And PR is correct, players loved to play for him and would run through a wall for him.

Motivation was always Gregorak's biggest strength.

I think Ty is a very good defensive coach. Schematically, I feel his system is the perfect fit to defend stitt’s offense: play 2 deep, disguise coverages, get pressure from front 4, very few but effective/timely blitzes, force teams to drive length of field and execute in red zone.

I can’t speak to Ty the person, or about what happened in 2015, but there’s no doubt he has a solid plan for Stitt

Back