• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

I miss Mick

If the new guy is ever able to announce a long playoff run, I think opinions may change. I truly believe much of Mick's lore is tied to the quality level of teams he announced. Not taking anything away from his ability, the Griz teams he covered simply added to the overall environment.

...we all do...
...riley is doing a nice job...
...even has a little "touchdown montana...

...ftc...

The thing I wish Riley would develop is painting the scene more. Mick was great for his descriptions. Examples:

Just before Cat-Griz kickoff one year I remember him saying,"For all those hunters out there, skirt up the hideout, push that radio antenna as high as it will go and take another sip of the whiskey for me."

Or after the '08 SDSU comeback, "If you had told me a half hour ago this was gonna happen I would have asked you what was in that bowl?!"

It's those descriptions that make it unique and personal.

Silvertip said:
Riley just doesn't have the voice or delivery for a college PBP guy... not even FCS.

Pretty harsh 'Tip. He's just in his second year and getting better and better each game. Probably not a single true Griz fan that doesn't miss Mick immensely but we do have to move on and appreciate Riley's commitment.

I must also admit that Riley has grown on me. At 1st I couldn't stand him to be honest, mostly because I loved the way Mick called the games! Now I think he is pretty good and appreciate how involved he is trying to be with the program. Who knows if he sticks with it for as long as Mick did maybe a new generation of Griz fans (if they exist) will talk about Riley the way we talk about Mick.

Latest posts

Back