• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Not A “Brawl” - It’s the Griz-Cat Game

goatcreekgriz

This may sound petty, but the “Brawl of the Wild” moniker was made up by the lousy Lee Newspapers (to my recollection) and then Town Pump piled on. Then it took off. I find this name annoying.

Growing up, it was Cat-Griz. The Bozeman Daily Comical got it right today. But perhaps it should be Griz-Cat instead. I would even prefer the short-lived “Montana Power Classic” over calling it the “Brawl of the Wild” because I hate the crummy Lee Newspapers.

With this pettiness off my chest, FTC. Looking forward to victory in Griz-Cat game.

CatzWillRise said:
I've always like the Brawl of the Wild. A bit cheesy perhaps but I think it fits.

Don't know why I keep agreeing with you, but I do like the Brawl of the Wild name. It kinda has a Jack London-ish sound to it.

Stop_HammerTime69 said:
CatzWillRise said:
I've always like the Brawl of the Wild. A bit cheesy perhaps but I think it fits.

Don't know why I keep agreeing with you, but I do like the Brawl of the Wild name. It kinda has a Jack London-ish sound to it.

I'm just an agreeable guy.

goatcreekgriz said:
This may sound petty, but the “Brawl of the Wild” moniker was made up by the lousy Lee Newspapers (to my recollection) and then Town Pump piled on. Then it took off. I find this name annoying.

Growing up, it was Cat-Griz. The Bozeman Daily Comical got it right today. But perhaps it should be Griz-Cat instead. I would even prefer the short-lived “Montana Power Classic” over calling it the “Brawl of the Wild” because I hate the crummy Lee Newspapers.

With this pettiness off my chest, FTC. Looking forward to victory in Griz-Cat game.
Brawl is bush. Griz Playoff Tune-Up is more fitting.

Personally, I LOVE "Brawl of The Wild"........ IMHO it is more unique and "Montanaish" than any other rivalry game name I have ever heard, anywhere.

kemajic said:
goatcreekgriz said:

Brawl is bush.
I know for a fact that Tim Bush insisted on calling it the Griz-Cat game.

I've always called it Cat-Griz, perhaps because I lived in Three Forks until 8th grade. I know Griz fans say that the dominant school should be listed first. I prefer to think of it as "Ladies first".

Iowagriz said:
I've always called it Cat-Griz, perhaps because I lived in Three Forks until 8th grade. I know Griz fans say that the dominant school should be listed first. I prefer to think of it as "Ladies first".

Cat-Griz is a hard habit to break, but I defer to Tim Bush.

FTC.

Brawl of the Wild is good to great branding. Call it whatever you want, but until you’re making money on it, it just colloquialism today.

bgbigdog said:
Brawl of the Wild is good to great branding. Call it whatever you want, but until you’re making money on it, it just colloquialism today.
Not disagreeing that it’s good branding, but we’re not cattle.

FTC.

goatcreekgriz said:

Please don't pussify the brawl , our genius fucking coach has done that for us enough
Also FTC

I really like the "Brawl of the Wild" rivalry name. A lot of big rivalries have unique names that people know of.

Apple Cup (Washington vs Washington State)
Brawl of the Wild (Montana vs Montana State)
Civil War (Oregon vs Oregon State)
Holy War (BYU vs Utah)
Iron Bowl (Alabama vs Auburn)
Red River Shootout (Texas vs Oklahoma)

The name(Brawl of the Wild) came about for two reasons. The game itself, and the Brawl that took place in the middle of DornBlazer Field after the game. Smoke bomb, Fire Hoses, Cow manure, and lots of fists flying. Not to mention The Stockman's, and the oxford, and the train station escapades. The infirmary on campus also had a waiting line. Go Griz

Back