• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Bob Stitt has Earned a New Contract

AllWeatherFan

DONOR
Regardless of what happens against MSU, I believe Bob Stitt has earned a new contract from the University of Montana. Kent Haslam should go ahead and announce his vote of confidence in this coaching staff.

Stitt's offense is effective, productive and fun to watch. Gresch Jensen has demonstrated how it's supposed to work. Matt Robinson will be waiting in the wings. It's hard to believe how many talented underclassmen Stitt has recruited.

The defense was a concern, but is trending in a very positive direction.

Time for Mr. Haslam to end the suspense and put his best foot forward with a long-term deal.

AllWeatherFan said:
Regardless of what happens against MSU, I believe Bob Stitt has earned a new contract from the University of Montana. Kent Haslam should go ahead and announce his vote of confidence in this coaching staff.

Stitt's offense is effective, productive and fun to watch. Gresch Jensen has demonstrated how it's supposed to work. Matt Robinson will be waiting in the wings. It's hard to believe how many talented underclassmen Stitt has recruited.

Time for Mr. Haslam to end the suspense and put his best foot forward with a long-term deal.
The MSU game is pivotal. Lose it and it is back-to-back losses to underwater MSU teams. Very tough to take. No playoffs for the back-to-back years. Tough to take. Erosion of the brand. Tough decision for the AD, not a slam dunk. No automatic successor. Win it; get into the playoffs, no decision. Long term? The longest term allowed by the BOR is 3 years. A one year extension is not out of the question. BH operated on 7 one year contracts; didn't seem to impair his recruiting or team performance.

I think he’s almost locked up a 1-year deal, but depending on the results this Saturday, that could unravel if the team just gets crushed.

If we somehow win two playoff games, he’ll have a three-year extension guaranteed.

My view is that a contract now combined with a Cat game loss and not making playoffs, would cause Haslam to be run out of town. Why take the risk. He could quietly give that message now, without offering or announcing, I suppose. Not sure why that would be a good idea at this point either. The coaches don’t need a vote of confidence at this point of season. Can’t imagine Stitt would be planning to take a new job now, and decide to stay because he got a contract this week as opposed to next week. The coaches must know that Stitt won’t be fired if Griz beat Cats and (presumably) make playoffs.

I absolutely want stability for this program. Some semblance of "this is our coach, he'll be here for a while, and we're confident in that, and he'll get us to where we want to be, even if there's a couple road bumps on the way."

That being said, a win over hapless Northern Colorado doesn't exactly say to me, "he's earned a new contract." At least not yet. There's still the one game you have to win as a Montana head coach left on the schedule. I can't say its do or die time, but it is definitely the point where find out if "he's our guy" or "Sometimes, shit happens, and I'm willing to give it another year, but changes have to be made."

As I recall - many thought 7-4 would get the extension...

I think he's earned it. I'd extend him for three years. I have no clue how contracts are structured, but I would not allow a buyout of any kind. I'd also add some incentives for improved defense and special teams. There is ZERO reason they can't lead the league in offense AND defense.

If the Griz lose this weekend....

...they won't lose.

kemajic said:
AllWeatherFan said:

The MSU game is pivotal. Lose it and it is back-to-back losses to underwater MSU teams. Very tough to take. No playoffs for the back-to-back years. Tough to take. Erosion of the brand. Tough decision for the AD, not a slam dunk. No automatic successor. Win it; get into the playoffs, no decision. Long term? The longest term allowed by the BOR is 3 years. A one year extension is not out of the question. BH operated on 7 one year contracts; didn't seem to impair his recruiting or team performance.

BOR didn’t allow 3 year contracts when BH was coach until maybe the very end of his career here

..Stitt has to beat the Cats and be in the playoffs in my mind to have a renewed contract..we are
still not a top rated team nationally and really don't get much respect..l remember how we used to
get mad when we weren't in the top 5...how things have changed!

I posted something similar over on maroon blood trying to gauge whether or not the Griz have already exceeded expectations. It wasn't as much about a contract extension but I was curious if folks see this year as a success. Here's the post...

So this board seems a bit more critical of the Griz each year than over on Egriz, fair or not. What I'm wondering is do folks here feel the Griz have already exceeded expectations for the year?

I remember seeing a lot of 6-5 and 5-6 type predictions over here. Couple that with the coaches and media picking the Griz to finish 6th this year. So simple question.....have the Griz already exceeded expectations?

I'll go first....I predicted a 8-3 type season but will admit after last season I was being quite hopeful in that prediction. I've been happy with what I've seen from this team and its coaches. I've seen improvements over last year and a team that won't quit (opposite of last year). I've seen some good adjustments from the coaches that have led to wins. It's not perfect and it could still be better, but hats off to this year's very young Griz football team.

Agreed. This team has gotten better as the season has progressed...we ARE trending upward. Unlike the team to the East.

He has got to finish the regular season with a solid road victory.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Personally I am all for extending him regardless of this weekend. 3 years if he wins this weekend and somewhat playoff success. I would give him 1-2 if he loses this week depending on how badly.

It is no secret that our team is trending in the right direction. All without our starting QB and now we're rolling with a freshman QB that was supposed to be the backup and he's looking poised to be the future and break some career records here.

I think changing coaches now would be devastating. No need for another rebuilding phase. We are finally reaping the rewards of the last one. The arrow on the Griz is very green and has no indication of slowing down unless we make drastic changes.

Eriul said:
Personally I am all for extending him regardless of this weekend. 3 years if he wins this weekend and somewhat playoff success. I would give him 1-2 if he loses this week depending on how badly.

It is no secret that our team is trending in the right direction. All without our starting QB and now we're rolling with a freshman QB that was supposed to be the backup and he's looking poised to be the future and break some career records here.

I think changing coaches now would be devastating. No need for another rebuilding phase. We are finally reaping the rewards of the last one. The arrow on the Griz is very green and has no indication of slowing down unless we make drastic changes.

Agreed.

Eriul said:

Agree 100% :clap: :thumb: :clap:

I think considering what this team has done this year an extension is already deserved however I want the Griz to beat the cats and get to the playoffs and that’s still ahead of them to hopefully accomplish. Let’s see how the next few weeks play out and revisit it.

Anyone who cannot see the sharp upward trend line of this team either:

(a) has an agenda
or
(b) never played the game.

Kent’s got the pen ready.

EverettGriz said:
Anyone who cannot see the sharp upward tend line of this team either:

(a) has an agenda
or
(b) never played the game.

Kent’s got the pen ready.

:thumb:

And the 2018 / 2019 teams are going to be loaded with the same dudes. Big things ahead

Back