• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

With Southern Utah/NAU emergence, is Weber must win to make playoffs?

I.M.O.#90-C.C.

DONOR
With Griz loss to EWU and Eagles should finish 8-3 or 7-4....and NAU and Southern Utah both having wins against ranked MIssouri Valley teams/other ranked teams and looking to likely finish 8-3 or 7-4....If Griz lose this weekend against Weber are they out of playoffs? Could a 7-4 (even 8-3 of somehow finishing strong) Griz team...as they would probably be 5th in Conference make the playoffs? I thought they could lose to Weber and recover...not sure now. What am I missing?

I.M.O.#90-C.C. said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/jon_kasper/status/922528114663497728[/tweet]

As of now, sure. Those numbers will change quite a bit over the next 4 games with some teams playing up and others playing down.

HookedonGriz said:
I.M.O.#90-C.C. said:

As of now, sure. Those numbers will change quite a bit over the next 4 games with some teams playing up and others playing down.

Strength of schedule...not as important as the strength of the US Dollar.

Certainly can't lose to both Weber and NAU and expect any love. We would finish the year without a quality win, even if 7-4.

7-4 Griz team will be left out of playoffs. If the Big Sky has several teams tie for division lead at 7-4, which I can't see happening, the Griz will be home for Thanksgiving eating turkey. The only way this Griz team is to make the playoffs is with at 8-3 record.

It would be nice to have the selection criteria available, but it is as easily found these days. (Post it here if you can).

Hero Sports post this in an article last fall: Strength of schedule, Division I wins, FBS wins, and ranked wins have all been selection criteria in the past.

Dave Bartoo, a data analyst, consultant and founder of www.cfbmatrix.com, said it is misguided to emphasize strength of schedule because calculating it accurately is not possible, no matter how it's done. "A lot of people want to believe that strength of schedule is a valid stat for separating teams," he said. "It's not the best one or the worst one. They are all about a coin flip." There are not enough data points in college football to make a good sample size to study strength of schedule because teams play so few games and the best teams rarely play each other, Bartoo said.

oGriz said:
It would be nice to have the selection criteria available, but it is as easily found these days. (Post it here if you can).

Hero Sports post this in an article last fall: Strength of schedule, Division I wins, FBS wins, and ranked wins have all been selection criteria in the past.

Dave Bartoo, a data analyst, consultant and founder of www.cfbmatrix.com, said it is misguided to emphasize strength of schedule because calculating it accurately is not possible, no matter how it's done. "A lot of people want to believe that strength of schedule is a valid stat for separating teams," he said. "It's not the best one or the worst one. They are all about a coin flip." There are not enough data points in college football to make a good sample size to study strength of schedule because teams play so few games and the best teams rarely play each other, Bartoo said.

A few years ago the NCAA implemented the simple rating system (SRS) that supposedly captures all of the things you mentioned above. Here is a link to that with the latest grades. They have UM at 29. This isn't all that factors into a playoff choice but it is a big part:

http://www.ncaa.com/rankings/football/fcs/simple-ratings-system

EDIT: Scratch that that is from last year and it is not updated for this year

I.M.O.#90-C.C. said:

NAU's strength of schedule will go up with games against SUU, UM, Sac still left.

Of course, playing better teams increases chances of losses, as well.

dbackjon said:
I.M.O.#90-C.C. said:

NAU's strength of schedule will go up with games against SUU, UM, Sac still left.

Yeah, I'd agree with that. However, one thing I'm not clear on is whether this is measuring our overall schedule or just the games we've played.

If it's the latter, NAU, Weber, and our own strength of schedule will increase dramatically over the coming weeks.

If it doesn't, well, then we have every right to call horseshit, because the Big Sky is not a G5 to the rest of the FCS' Power 5.

Stop_HammerTime69 said:
dbackjon said:
I.M.O.#90-C.C. said:

Yeah, I'd agree with that. However, one thing I'm not clear on is whether this is measuring our overall schedule or just the games we've played.

If it's the latter, NAU, Weber, and our own strength of schedule will increase dramatically over the coming weeks.

If it doesn't, well, then we have every right to call horseshit, because the Big Sky is not a G5 to the rest of the FCS' Power 5.

This is through games played and doesn’t consider future opponents.

Stop_HammerTime69 said:
dbackjon said:
I.M.O.#90-C.C. said:

Games played. And remember that the Griz SOS is anchored by two of the worst teams in FCS (Savannah State and Valpo)

It is a must win because any loss at this point will make the rest of the season a must win. This is true for the top 4 teams.

oGriz said:

I think this post got lost in the discussion... a 8-3 Griz team is definitely in. A 7-4 Griz team is less likely, but I still like their chances.

GrizMusician said:
a 8-3 Griz team is definitely in. A 7-4 Griz team is less likely, but I still like their chances.
7-4 with wins over Valpo, Sav. St., PSU, ISU, UND, UNC, & MSU? Not a quality win in the bunch. I personally don't think that team should be in the playoffs and I don't like their chances in spite of the $$$ advantage UM provides. A win over either Weber or NAU changes that. This team needs to continue to peak to be relevant and worthy of playoff consideration.

Back