• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Decisions like this lead to less money for band and UM

PlayerRep

What is the journalism dean thinking? This is hugely damaging to UM. Bad press and leads to even more budget cuts. Academics, band, athletics.

"A University of Montana benefactor is re-evaluating future giving to the School of Journalism after the dean declined to host a conservative writer as its annual Cole lecturer.

Donor Maria Cole was married to the late Wall Street Journal reporter for whom the Jeff Cole Legacy Fund is named, and has given more than $1.2 million over the last 15 years to the School of Journalism.

The last nine years, Cole has sponsored the Jeff Cole Distinguished Lecture, inviting former colleagues of her husband to speak. She wanted the 10th anniversary to be different and decided to create an event that would spark civil discourse."

http://missoulian.com/news/local/university-of-montana-school-of-journalism-rejects-conservative-cole-lecturer/article_f4b8740d-5588-5915-9ead-a862f605ff98.html#tncms-source=home-featured

You think the University should let someone that writes hate speech speak so that they can keep recieving donations? Faculty and administrators have the responsibility of being the gate keepers for higher discourse.

Hate speech: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hate_speech

Mike Adams' excerpt from your article: “LGBTQIA Resource Center,”...“veritable alphabet soup of liberal victim-hood.”...“For the record, I had to … ask her the meaning of ‘A,’"..."I thought it might stand for androgyny or, perhaps, something to do with the buttocks. We already have the feminists reclaiming the c-word in 'The Vagina Monologues.'"

grizpsych said:
You think the University should let someone that writes hate speech speak so that they can keep recieving donations? Faculty and administrators have the responsibility of being the gate keepers for higher discourse.

Mike Adams' excerpt from your article: “LGBTQIA Resource Center,”...“veritable alphabet soup of liberal victim-hood.”...“For the record, I had to … ask her the meaning of ‘A,’"..."I thought it might stand for androgyny or, perhaps, something to do with the buttocks. We already have the feminists reclaiming the c-word in 'The Vagina Monologues.'"

Yes, I believe in the First Amendment and Free Speech. I believe debate and discussion are very important in our country, and especially on university campuses.

See link to article regarding the views of the president of the Univ of Chicago. NY Times: "America's Best University President".

I also believe universities and UM need funding, especially UM. If UM continues to overemphasize climate change, environmental, etc., it is not going to thrive or even survive. If no one wants to listen to this guy, then no one will attend.

"Several years ago Robert Zimmer was asked by an audience in China why the University of Chicago was associated with so many winners of the Nobel Prize — 90 in all, counting this month’s win by the behavioral economist Richard Thaler. Zimmer, the university’s president since 2006, answered that the key was a campus culture committed to “discourse, argument and lack of deference.”

“Our commitment to academic freedom,” he wrote, “means that we do not support so-called ‘trigger warnings,’ we do not cancel invited speakers because their topics might prove controversial, and we do not condone the creation of intellectual ‘safe spaces’ where individuals can retreat from ideas and perspectives at odds with their own.”

The letter attracted national attention, with cheering from the right and caviling on the left. But its intellectual foundation had been laid earlier, with a 2015 report from a faculty committee, convened by Zimmer, on free expression. Central to the committee’s findings: the aim of education is to make people think, not spare them from discomfort.

“Concerns about civility and mutual respect,” the committee wrote, “can never be used as a justification for closing off discussion of ideas, however offensive or disagreeable those ideas may be to some members of our community.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/20/opinion/robert-zimmer-chicago-speech.html

The university has stated that he may speak on campus, but not as a sponsored speaker of the School of Journalism. Indeed, I see the School of Journalism standing up for their ethics here. Journalists are supposed to present the fact in an unbiased manner. Mike Adams, and his Rich Crony are trying to push a belief based agenda onto the school. Kudos for them letting it not happen.

I'll just leave this quote by Mike Adams: "...all ideas are not equal. Some are more dangerous than others."

Giving exposure to ignorance and bigotry only strengthens our resolve to eliminate hatred. What's the saying...Better to remain silent and thought to be a fool then speak and remove all doubt. For a Journalism Dean to prohibit free speech because he doesn't agree is inexcusable. I'm with PR and President Stearns all the way on this one.

I’ve worked with Larry quite closely. If he turned down money in anyway it’s gonna be for a hella good reason. Larry is a good guy but he is definitely greedy

grizpsych said:
The university has stated that he may speak on campus, but not as a sponsored speaker of the School of Journalism. Indeed, I see the School of Journalism standing up for their ethics here. Journalists are supposed to present the fact in an unbiased manner. Mike Adams, and his Rich Crony are trying to push a belief based agenda onto the school. Kudos for them letting it not happen.

I'll just leave this quote by Mike Adams: "...all ideas are not equal. Some are more dangerous than others."

Well, if he said that, it looks like the two of you agree on that. Did he also say that ideas he didn't agree with shouldn't be expressed?

Being UNC-Wilmington faculty member of the year seems like some people like him, at least back when he was selected those 2 years.

My view is that the liberals and radicals who push your view end up giving a bigger stage to people like Lewis. Had this not occurred, he probably would have come on gone from Missoula with little or no notice. Now it's a bigger issue with lots of press and attention. And perhaps a big loss of funds for UM, which is already starving for funds.

Again, UM is in such a bad position regarding funding, that it just can't chase off money like this.

PlayerRep said:
grizpsych said:

Well, if he said that, it looks like the two of you agree on that. Did he also say that ideas he didn't agree with shouldn't be expressed?

Being UNC-Wilmington faculty member of the year seems like some people like him, at least back when he was selected those 2 years.

My view is that the liberals and radicals who push your view end up giving a bigger stage to people like Lewis. Had this not occurred, he probably would have come on gone from Missoula with little or no notice. Now it's a bigger issue with lots of press and attention. And perhaps a big loss of funds for UM, which is already starving for funds.

Again, UM is in such a bad position regarding funding, that it just can't chase off money like this.

I don't like the terms liberal and radical. I am not real big on Conservative radicals either. I believe that is the problem we have in todays society. Label, assume, biased reporting, accusations, etc. My personal view is they should have let him speak. I may not agree with his perspectives, but to silence dissent is foolhardy.

grizpsych said:

Hate speech. Puhleaze.

Copper Griz said:
PlayerRep said:
grizpsych said:

I don't like the terms liberal and radical. I am not real big on Conservative radicals either. I believe that is the problem we have in todays society. Label, assume, biased reporting, accusations, etc. My personal view is they should have let him speak. I may not agree with his perspectives, but to silence dissent is foolhardy.
He is free to speak at the UM. But, it won't be sponsored by Journalism.

grizpsych said:
Copper Griz said:
PlayerRep said:
grizpsych said:

He is free to speak at the UM. But, it won't be sponsored by Journalism.

You are right GPsych. My biggest issue is restricting him because of his views. That is my main problem with "Journalism". I just don't see much of it with the main stream media. I would have preferred they let him speak and the profs use it as a teaching opportunity. I am a "liberal" and I think this country needs an overhaul when it comes to journalism. Report - I do not need an opinion and biased reporting from Fox or CNN. Just give me the news and the facts.

Of all schools for the dean not to allow someone to speak, Journalism. Jeez, that's one of the big things wrong in our country now, and part of what is propelling the Trump movement. Mainstream media is so one-sided, biased, and liberal. This is clear to many including the Trump supporters.

So, the dean is teaching the UM Journalism students that it is okay to stifle free speech and discourse, if you don't agree with it.

What's wrong with just reporting the facts and news, in an as unbiased manner as possible, and letting the readers decide for themselves. What put some much opinion and slant in articles, do misleading/slanted headlines, and select and neglect articles/subjects based on the media's agenda or views?

The dean has harmed the university and is fund-raising efforts, in my view. At least, it looks like the band has figured out how to finance one more trip to Bozeman.

I don't know if what this guy says is or isn't "hate speech", but there is no hate speech exception to the First Amendment.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/volokh-conspiracy/wp/2017/06/19/supreme-court-unanimously-reaffirms-there-is-no-hate-speech-exception-to-the-first-amendment/?utm_term=.35acf0203446

A letter the speaker wrote to Pres. Stearns:

https://townhall.com/columnists/mikeadams/2017/10/19/grizzly-bigotry-at-the-university-of-montana-n2396889

A funny comment in the Comments section of that link:

"If you want someone to talk about free speech "without running the risk of offending someone", you don't understand free speech."

Note that the UM dean was at NPR a long time. I like NPR generally, but think the dean was probably there too long.

PhxGriz said:
grizpsych said:

Hate speech. Puhleaze.
Hate speech = Doesn't fit my narrative

PlayerRep said:

https://townhall.com/columnists/mikeadams/2017/10/19/grizzly-bigotry-at-the-university-of-montana-n2396889

"If you want someone to talk about free speech "without running the risk of offending someone", you don't understand free speech."

Note that the UM dean was at NPR a long time. I like NPR generally, but think the dean was probably there too long.

So is he banned from speaking on campus? I thought it was just the j school event.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wbtfg said:
PlayerRep said:

So is he banned from speaking on campus? I thought it was just the j school event.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

he wasn't banned from speaking on campus. i strongly disagree with the dean's decision, but instead of truly using logic to refute it, adams is claiming to be 'banned from campus' and playing the victim card.

I sure hope none of you complaining are one in the same as those that felt the NFL players had no right to take a knee in the so-called "Brock Coyle" thread. I guess I could go check but that seems like a lot of work. Freedom to express ones self works both ways.

It sounds to me like the dean of the J School is scheduling out of a position of fear. We all saw the backlash many schools have felt for having conservative guest speakers and students threatening faculty over the violation of “safe space.” This has happened at Cal, Yale, Evergreen, the list goes on and on. There is a trend in this country that the Dean is being cowardly in addressing, the PC culture. Not to say that Trumpism is the right course, but we as a society have gotten so polarized with our views that we look at opposing political views as being “racist” or “sexist” or “bigoted.”

Many on the left have gone so far left that they have become the very thing they rail against. Some are offering “race specific housing” in order to foster the idea of providing for underrepresented communities. That’s right. Segregation. This is being done at UCSD and proposed at University of Chicago.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/education/sd-me-ucsd-diverse-20160926-story,amp.html

http://hpherald.com/2017/05/19/u-c-students-release-demands-response-discriminatory-acts-campus/

This full circle includes silencing the people that you don’t agree with. The speakers term “cultural marxism” is not that far off.

It’s ultimately a cop-out and a disservice to the students at UM. Not exposing them to different points of view is a disservice to them and leaves them ill-equipped to think openly and freely, without bias, and to weigh the merits (or the opposite) of an argument rather than be influenced by personal bias. In this instance, the J-School is teaching that personal bias has a place in reporting.

I am by no means conservative and not particularly liberal. I just believe in common sense.

Back