• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

UM Athletics seriously can't afford to get Band to Bozeman?

Brother Bear

http://www.kpax.com/story/36621962/budget-cuts-keeping-grizzly-marching-band-at-home
--------------
MISSOULA - It’s not a lack of enthusiasm, but a lack of money that could break a long-standing tradition for the Grizzly Marching Band.

Due to budget cuts in the University of Montana Athletic Department, the band will not be playing music in the annual Griz vs. Bobcats football game. Director of Athletic Bands Kevin Griggs said the annual trip for the marching band was eliminated due to the budget cuts.

“We love to support the team – especially in a big rivalry game like this one – and are saddened that we won’t be able to attend,” Griggs said. “As a band, we will continue to do our best to create an energetic atmosphere at the games.”

UM’s Director of Athletics Kent Haslam said the trip cost the Athletic Department roughly $25,000 for the 130 plus marching band members to attend the game. According to Haslam, the cost included buses, food, hotel rooms and tickets.
---------------

Those 130 and their band director give it their all at every home game. They are an important part of the Griz game day atmosphere and should be given a lot more credit than they get.

Man, this is all over some facebook threads too. Posters blaming the Washington Family (!), blaming football, blaming anyone they can... which is all dumb. Athletics has made it's own cuts despite being revenue positive but unfortunately with all of the cuts seen on campus they've presumably had to make some tough decisions, like this one, as well.

I believe there's a push to fundraise a day trip over for the band, hope it can work out.

BWahlberg said:
Man, this is all over some facebook threads too. Posters blaming the Washington Family (!), blaming football, blaming anyone they can... which is all dumb. Athletics has made it's own cuts despite being revenue positive but unfortunately with all of the cuts seen on campus they've presumably had to make some tough decisions, like this one, as well.

I believe there's a push to fundraise a day trip over for the band, hope it can work out.

Can you elaborate on the facebook threads???

Wow [emoji20] I’m ready to see some positive news coming out of the UM in regard to its overall health. It’s been sad watching my alma mater struggle these last few years. It’s nice that freshman enrollment went up, however, overall enrollment still dropped. I dont know what the underlying issues are but hopefully the new president can get things turned around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I gotta admit, and I'm probably in the minority,but at a price tag of 25k I can't really blame the UM for this decision. That's not a cheap trip and caught me by surprise that it would be that much.

Time for a Day Trip!

Hope this works out. I enjoy having both bands. Would be great if they could play some songs together. Love a blasting band. Thats college football.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Brother Bear said:
http://www.kpax.com/story/36621962/budget-cuts-keeping-grizzly-marching-band-at-home
--------------
MISSOULA - It’s not a lack of enthusiasm, but a lack of money that could break a long-standing tradition for the Grizzly Marching Band.

Due to budget cuts in the University of Montana Athletic Department, the band will not be playing music in the annual Griz vs. Bobcats football game. Director of Athletic Bands Kevin Griggs said the annual trip for the marching band was eliminated due to the budget cuts.

“We love to support the team – especially in a big rivalry game like this one – and are saddened that we won’t be able to attend,” Griggs said. “As a band, we will continue to do our best to create an energetic atmosphere at the games.”

UM’s Director of Athletics Kent Haslam said the trip cost the Athletic Department roughly $25,000 for the 130 plus marching band members to attend the game. According to Haslam, the cost included buses, food, hotel rooms and tickets.
---------------

Those 130 and their band director give it their all at every home game. They are an important part of the Griz game day atmosphere and should be given a lot more credit than they get.

Do they really need hotel rooms? its 3 hours away. the game will be over by 5... theres half the expense right there...

HookedonGriz said:
I gotta admit, and I'm probably in the minority,but at a price tag of 25k I can't really blame the UM for this decision. That's not a cheap trip and caught me by surprise that it would be that much.

Time for a Day Trip!

I had the exact same thought. 25k being saved is just smart in my opinion. I am sure the football team will remain motivated despite the band not making it to the game. I am more concerned for the Cat fans actually. Who the hell is going to play funeral music when the semi annual walk of shame occurs?

Copper Griz said:
HookedonGriz said:

Time for a Day Trip!

I had the exact same thought. 25k being saved is just smart in my opinion. I am sure the football team will remain motivated despite the band not making it to the game. I am more concerned for the Cat fans actually. Who the hell is going to play funeral music when the semi annual walk of shame occurs?

The last time the Cats beat us on their field was 2005

Copper Griz said:
HookedonGriz said:

Time for a Day Trip!

Who played the funeral music for the walk of shame last year?

Does it really cost $25,000 to take band to Bozeman? What about a day trip? What about kids paying for the own meals, or packing some food? What about a day trip for some, and hotel only for the kids who want to pay a bit for it or raise some money?

What about the athletic department kicking in a few thousand, some boosters putting up some (I would consider a $1,000), and the kids raising or paying the rest)?

Does UM not realize the negative publicity hit and possible negative impact on enrollment? This is not good for UM. "Why go to UM, their enrollment is down so much and continuing to go down, their budget cuts are steep and still occurring (they are cutting courses and profs), that they can't even afford to take their band to the Cat game.

I understand budget problems and budget cuts, but I think this will get so much attention that it will ultimately cost UM a lot more than $25,000 in lost enrollment.

I just can't imagine that there isn't a solution that would cost much less than $25,000.

Brother Bear said:

I'm actually surprised at how little it costs to get them all there for a couple of days. That's about $200 per student for a two-day trip.

PlayerRep said:
Does it really cost $25,000 to take band to Bozeman? What about a day trip? What about kids paying for the own meals, or packing some food? What about a day trip for some, and hotel only for the kids who want to pay a bit for it or raise some money?

What about the athletic department kicking in a few thousand, some boosters putting up some (I would consider a $1,000), and the kids raising or paying the rest)?

Does UM not realize the negative publicity hit and possible negative impact on enrollment? This is not good for UM. "Why go to UM, their enrollment is down so much and continuing to go down, their budget cuts are steep and still occurring (they are cutting courses and profs), that they can't even afford to take their band to the Cat game.

I understand budget problems and budget cuts, but I think this will get so much attention that it will ultimately cost UM a lot more than $25,000 in lost enrollment.

I just can't imagine that there isn't a solution that would cost much less than $25,000.

Yeah, I don't see why they cant get on a bus at 7am and make a day trip out of it.

25,000 to send the band to play a f@cking game? I say that as one who played in the marching band for a year while at UM, holy sh!t! Just buss them up the day of the game, give them a rice krispy treat, and bring them back after. We bandos don't need special treatment.

Ringneck said:
Brother Bear said:

I'm actually surprised at how little it costs to get them all there for a couple of days. That's about $200 per student for a two-day trip.

How can it possibly be $200 for a day trip? What is the cost of a bus, and how many do they need?

Look at the cost of the booster bus day trip from Missoula. It isn't $200 per person. "The cost of the Griz-Cat trip is $150 per person which covers transportation, snacks and beverages on the bus, and a game ticket." Note that boosters would pay full ticket prices. Assume the band would "pay" at the student price level. There's a $50 savings there.

Try to negotiate a better ticket price for band. It adds to the atmosphere.

http://www.gogriz.com/news/2017/10/3/gsa-limited-seating-for-the-booster-bus-to-bozeman-november-18.aspx?print=true

They don't need to charter a plane? Ha.

MTCowpoke said:
Copper Griz said:
HookedonGriz said:

Time for a Day Trip!

Who played the funeral music for the walk of shame last year?

Last 25 years worth of Brawl of The Wild. I rest my case

Somebody ucked up without looking at all options, like the day trip mentioned, and if they really did look at all the options and this is the call....well they are ucking up.

grizcountry420 said:
Copper Griz said:
HookedonGriz said:

Time for a Day Trip!

The last time the Cats beat us on their field was 2005

I am perfectly content if that trend were to continue

Ringneck said:
Brother Bear said:
Beat me to it. But even if you knock out the motel cost, say $60 per (assuming one night with shared rooms), that's $140 per for meals, tickets, the transportation fee, etc. Seems pretty cheap ... but when you throw 130 in as the "per," you get over $18,000.

Latest posts

Back