• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Upset Guesses (Oct 21)

Where are the upsets?

• [16] Samford (4-2) at [5] Wofford (6-0)

Votes: 12 23.5%
  • [24] Illinois State (4-2) vs [4] USD (6-0)

Votes: 8 15.7%
  • [10] W Illinois (5-1) at [2] NDSU (6-0)

Votes: 13 25.5%
  • E Illinois (5-2) vs [3] Jacksonville St (5-1)

Votes: 5 9.8%
  • Delaware (4-2) vs [11] Richmond (4-2)

Votes: 23 45.1%
  • Alcorn St (5-2) at [17] Grambling (5-1)

Votes: 14 27.5%
  • Northern Iowa (3-3) vs [9] YSU (3-3)

Votes: 18 35.3%

• Total voters

IdaGriz01

Let's try to do better :) .

On October 21, we have three matchups between ranked teams. The good news is, quite a few of the other games feature an unranked opponent that has a pretty good record ... like Eastern Illinois (5-2) at home against #3 Jacksonville State (5-1). Of course, we also have two 3-3 teams matched up. If Youngstown really is "the best three-loss team in the country," then perhaps an upset is not so likely ... but we'll see.

As usual, underdog on the left, two choices allowed, and you can change your vote.

Tough one. I went Richmond and Wofford lose, although doubt any do this week. That whole conference with Grambling sucks, so that could be another. Air McNair won't be playing for Alcorn...haven't seen them with a winning record since those days.

AZDoc said:
Tough one. I went Richmond and Wofford lose, although doubt any do this week. That whole conference with Grambling sucks, so that could be another. Air McNair won't be playing for Alcorn...haven't seen them with a winning record since those days.
I too picked an upset of Richmond, but I went with UNI over Youngstown. My reasoning: YSU almost pulled the upset at home (Soooo close) and are likely to be totally bummed. They meet a team that's coming off a decisive road win against a top-10 opponent. And UNI is always tough at home anyway, so I think things line up pretty well for them to pull another upset. Either way, "the season is on the line," because the loser will have 4 losses.

The best senerio for UM is:
Samford
Ill State
W. Ill
Delaware and
N Iowa
ALL LOSE!!!!! Need to make some of those 2 AND 3 L teams 3 and 4 L's

[16] Samford (4-2) at [5] Wofford (6-0)
[24] Illinois State (4-2) vs [4] USD (6-0)
[10] W Illinois (5-1) at [2] NDSU (6-0)
E Illinois (5-2) vs [3] Jacksonville St (5-1)
Delaware (4-2) vs [11] Richmond (4-2)
Alcorn St (5-2) at [17] Grambling (5-1)
Northern Iowa (3-3) vs [9] YSU (3-3)

AZDoc said:

Isn't Grambling still out of the playoffs because of the "bowl" game?

Paytonlives said:
AZDoc said:

Ahhh...yes. Forgot about that.

AZDoc said:
Paytonlives said:
AZDoc said:
Not quite, but it's a technical (and extremely unlikely) distinction.

As I recall, the SWAC is still allowed an at-large bid. In the SWAC, the division champions play in the the conference championship game -- which takes them out of the FCS playoffs. But it's not out of the question that one division could have two good teams -- and the division's #2 would be allowed to accept an at-large playoff bid. In reality, I cannot ever recall the SWAC having two really competitive teams, much less three. So it's a distinction that really makes no difference.

The MEAC is a bit different, of course, since they do not run a championship game. But the season champion plays in the MEAC-SWAC "Celebration Bowl," which keeps them out of the playoffs. But the conference can still get an at-large bid ... which it did last year when when NC Central lost to Grambling, 10-9 (whoopee!), while NC A&T was getting clocked by Richmond, 39-10, in the first round of the FCS playoffs.

IdaGriz01 said:
AZDoc said:
Paytonlives said:
AZDoc said:
Not quite, but it's a technical (and extremely unlikely) distinction.

As I recall, the SWAC is still allowed an at-large bid. In the SWAC, the division champions play in the the conference championship game -- which takes them out of the FCS playoffs. But it's not out of the question that one division could have two good teams -- and the division's #2 would be allowed to accept an at-large playoff bid. In reality, I cannot ever recall the SWAC having two really competitive teams, much less three. So it's a distinction that really makes no difference.

The MEAC is a bit different, of course, since they do not run a championship game. But the season champion plays in the MEAC-SWAC "Celebration Bowl," which keeps them out of the playoffs. But the conference can still get an at-large bid ... which it did last year when when NC Central lost to Grambling, 10-9 (whoopee!), while NC A&T was getting clocked by Richmond, 39-10, in the first round of the FCS playoffs.

Again, yes, that is correct. If I remember, it'd been a long time since that had happened if at all. Didn't someone bring that up last year at playoff time? I forget. Too busy talking about AC separations, when in fact I have no idea what his injury is. Was just guessing based on replay and how he was holding his arm.

My perfect scenario would be for us to win out, have Northern Iowa win this weekend and back into the playoffs, and have them travel to us in the second round so we can kick their asses again. I love watching the griz beat northern Iowa a lot. 😀

AZDoc said:
... If I remember, it'd been a long time since that had happened if at all. Didn't someone bring that up last year at playoff time? I forget. Too busy talking about AC separations, when in fact I have no idea what his injury is. Was just guessing based on replay and how he was holding his arm.
The MEAC did get a playoff bid last year, when NC A&T got pounded. But that's the only bid they've received since they signed on for the Celebration Bowl. If NC Central (#25 in the STATS poll) knocks off NC A&T (currently #12) for the MEAC championship, then A&T will again be in the conversation for a playoff bid. But they too have a lot of football remaining.

(Bump ... need more votes.)

C'mon! Last week YSU almost pulled off the top-selected upset. At least we (including yours truly) got the second-most-voted upset. Let's go for a #1 this week.

biga75 said:
Samford over Wofford and UNI over Pelini's Penguins ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
With you on UNI, and thought about Samford ... but decided not to vote against the home team.

Interesting spread of votes so far this week. I'm a bit surprised that as many as five voters think Illinois State can beat South Dakota. Of course, I-State is at home, so that counts for something :) .

One right so far: Northern Iowa over YSU, 19-14.
My other choice (Richmond at Delaware) is currently tied 28-28, with not much time left. Delaware does have the ball.

But it looks like we'll have to put up with Illinois State in the rankings some more ... they're currently leading #4 USD 34-21, with a bit over 4 min to go.

IdaGriz01 said:
My other choice (Richmond at Delaware) is currently tied 28-28, with not much time left. Delaware does have the ball.

But it looks like we'll have to put up with Illinois State in the rankings some more ... they're currently leading #4 USD 34-21, with a bit over 4 min to go.

Chalk up the upset here too. Interesting day.

signedbewildered said:
IdaGriz01 said:

Chalk up the upset here too. Interesting day.
Delaware game into OT.

IdaGriz01 said:

Well, Delaware did pull it out in OT, so I got both my picks this week. Overall, four of the seven pairings in the poll went to the underdog: Samford, Illinois State, Delaware and Northern Iowa. Pretty amazing.

Back