• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Bodnar is the choice

NorthEndZoneDan

DONOR
Missoula Independent is tweeting that Seth Bodnar is the next U of M president. not sure I know how to post the tweet here.
https://twitter.com/Missoula_Indy/status/915350723696529409

NorthEndZoneDan said:
Missoula Independent is tweeting that Seth Bodnar is the next U of M president. not sure I know how to post the tweet here.
https://twitter.com/Missoula_Indy/status/915350723696529409
Just received an email it’s been confirmed. Seth Bodnar is the new president of UM

Holy shit I didn't think The U would get it right. They hit it out of the park. Here's the background on him. He's leaving a 20+ million dollar job to raise a family in Missoula. Tells me everything about this guy.

Seth Bodnar appears to be an unorthodox candidate to serve as president of the University of Montana.

He's a senior executive at General Electric, not president or provost at another campus. And he doesn't have a doctoral degree.

But the Rhodes Scholar's resume shows examples of formidable leadership and academic strength, including the following:

Two master's degrees from the University of Oxford in England
First in class for overall performance at the U.S. Military Academy in West Point
Class valedictorian in academics at West Point
Evaluated as "brilliant" and "one of the most gifted and talented officers among all ranks in multi-national forces, Iraq" for his assignment under Generals David Petraeus and Raymond Odierno
Promoted one year early to rank of major, an advancement achieved by fewer than 10 percent of U.S. Army officers
Bodnar is one of four finalists for president at UM, and the job for him would represent a nosedive in potential earnings: In 2016, a report from the Associated Press and Equilar counted median compensation for S&P 500 CEOs at $10.8 million and recorded total compensation for the head of GE at $26.8 million.

The leaders of Montana's flagship earned $316,819 in base salary, according to a survey of 2015-2016 compensation by the Chronicle of Higher Education. Deferred compensation bumps up the total, but it's a sliver compared to pay in the private industry.

Bodnar, though, said he isn't in it for the money. And at least some community members are already excited about the prospect of an energetic and tested leader at the helm of UM, although some faculty members have also expressed concern about his credentials.

Bodnar's wife, Chelsea Elander, is a Rhodes Scholar and Missoula native, and Bodnar said he wants to bring his family here and lead UM, an institution he sees as the backbone of the community.

"Life for me isn't about how large your bank account is, but how large your impact in your service to others is," he said. "I'm first and foremost driven by a strong sense of service. And I firmly believe in the power of higher education to transform lives and community."

He added, "My parents were both educators, and they instilled a sense of service in me. And I went to West Point where the mission of that institution is to build leaders of character for a lifetime of service to the nation."

These days, the tenure of university presidents is around seven years, but Bodnar — whose references include Petraeus and GE Chair Jeffrey Immelt —said if he earns the privilege of leading UM, he's interested in staying for the next 20 years, or as long as he remains effective.

"This for me is not a step on an academic career ladder," said Bodnar. "It's a destination and a place that I want to work and a place where I want to raise my family. It's a big personal investment."

Can't wait for him to make professors drop and give him 20 for failing to keep their offices clean. "What's that on the floor? PICK IT UP, SCUM BAG!"

This is the best possible choice and I'm jacked for my alma mater! And I second Gametime's letter to the new President.

Dear Seth,

Football is the straw that stirs the drink.

Griz Nation

Seth Bodnar, former GE executive, Rhodes Scholar, 1st in his class at West Point. I didn’t think the BOR had the balls to go outside academia.
What does this mean for Grizzlies athletics?

[emoji106][emoji106][emoji106][emoji106][emoji106][emoji106][emoji106][emoji106][emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Never thought it could/would happen! Some wise people just made my day!! This is the opportunity for OUR university to thrive. Congratulations, Seth Bodnar!

Good for athletics, I would think. Great guy. Young. Played baseball at West Point. Has been to one or more Griz games, since his wife grew up in Missoula. Probably already knows Shannon Cate Schweyen played for the Lady Griz.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/umontana/status/915351262639439872[/tweet]

Ballsy move - welcome. :thumb: :clap:

HookedonGriz said:
Seth Bodnar appears to be an unorthodox candidate to serve as president of the University of Montana.
Two master's degrees from the University of Oxford in England
First in class for overall performance at the U.S. Military Academy in West Point
Class valedictorian in academics at West Point
Evaluated as "brilliant" and "one of the most gifted and talented officers among all ranks in multi-national forces, Iraq" for his assignment under Generals David Petraeus and Raymond Odierno
Promoted one year early to rank of major, an advancement achieved by fewer than 10 percent of U.S. Army officers.

... although some faculty members have also expressed concern about his credentials.

Bodnar's wife, Chelsea Elander, is a Rhodes Scholar ...
What bullshit!
So he doesn't have a Ph.D. ... is that what's bothering you bunky?
Or is it that he's never had to deal with an academic bureaucracy?

Point one: As one who has one, I can tell you that a Ph.D. is often not much more than a "union card" for snobs. Have met way too many unqualified Ph.D.s and too many smart, highly (self-)educated successful people to see that degree as a be-all and end-all.

Point two: Bureaucracies are all pretty much alike, whether in the military or in big business. Get over it.

Back