• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

The good and bad of Coach Stitt

HookedonGriz

DONOR
Let's keep this a legitimate, civil discussion. What are the positive things you like about Stitt? What are the negatives? Do the positives outweigh the negatives? Please list both the positives and negatives in your opinion. I'll start:

Positives:

- very happy with the type of kids/recruits he is bringing in. They seem to have a great work ethic, stay out of trouble, and focus on getting a diploma all while giving their heart and soul to a sport that doesn't always love them back
- I actually like the excitement in his offense. It's hard to say it isn't working when they are putting up 40 points and leading the big sky in total offense. He finally has his QB in Gresch who can run it at a high level (as Phillips was also doing) so it may only get better
- I like that he seems to really care about his players, as evidenced by holding Reese's hand when he was face down on the field (that was a cool deal, and no not all coaches are like that)
- I like that he realizes how big of a deal it is to Griz nation to get this program back on track and he feels strongly they have a great plan and are getting there. He seems to have a lot of confidence about that, which gives me hope.
- I really do like that he's innovative and has a good mind about the offense and what he wants to do
- I like the MT coaches and former Griz he has brought it. The Pride and Tradition is important and MT coaches and former players bleed it.

Negatives:

- not enough attention to special teams. When you can't find a kicker in D1 football who can boot it into the end zone that worries me. When the return guy is being tackled by 6 guys who are untouched, that worries me.
- lack of adjustments on both sides of the ball. Football is all about match ups and adjustments. I feel like the Griz have the talent to match up with anyone. We are not making the necessary in game adjustments to win games. In fact, it's led to a number of losses. When does that get fixed? Why isn't it already? He was pressed about this in the most recent presser.....sadly he had no answer which left me questioning what he can accomplish for the first time as a fan. I lost faith after that presser a bit. It didn't help him at all.
- sometimes he comes off "above the game" with a cocky arrogance that can rub the wrong way. I don't think it's always intentional but I would like to see him be more humble at times. It's gotten better over the last year or two

Where I stand:

I am holding out hope but losing it quickly for the first time. I think he can earn an extension and I'd support that, but a trip to the playoffs has to happen first. If the passing defense doesn't change soon (we are 123 out of 126 FCS teams) with some in game adjustments or overall change in scheme, I cannot support our DC staying on board. Sucks to say it but he may have to part ways with Semore at the end of the season just to keep his own job, as Griz Nation will demand some kind of change.

Good....grades, discipline some great recruits

Bad....
After last season he said would look at everything in program....special teams (and coordinator) still stink. Got rid of WR coach....had a new one who bolted. Defensive coordinator is still issue, but after the TG thing he might be too stubborn to change that position and admit it wasn't a good choice. Never got the DB issue solved through JC or dropdowns or recruits (poorest area success in his recruiting has left no depth)

My take....win cat game and make playoffs one more year extension, lose Cat and make playoffs must change DC and ST coaches but get a year. Lose to cats no playoffs, pack your bags

HookedonGriz said:
Let's keep this a legitimate, civil discussion. What are the positive things you like about Stitt? What are the negatives? Do the positives outweigh the negatives? Please list both the positives and negatives in your opinion. I'll start:

Positives:

- very happy with the type of kids/recruits he is bringing in. They seem to have a great work ethic, stay out of trouble, and focus on getting a diploma all while giving their heart and soul to a sport that doesn't always love them back
- I actually like the excitement in his offense. It's hard to say it isn't working when they are putting up 40 points and leading the big sky in total offense. He finally has his QB in Gresch who can run it at a high level (as Phillips was also doing) so it may only get better
- I like that he seems to really care about his players, as evidenced by holding Reese's hand when he was face down on the field (that was a cool deal, and no not all coaches are like that)
- I like that he realizes how big of a deal it is to Griz nation to get this program back on track and he feels strongly they have a great plan and are getting there. He seems to have a lot of confidence about that, which gives me hope.
- I really do like that he's innovative and has a good mind about the offense and what he wants to do
- I like the MT coaches and former Griz he has brought it. The Pride and Tradition is important and MT coaches and former players bleed it.

Negatives:

- not enough attention to special teams. When you can't find a kicker in D1 football who can boot it into the end zone that worries me. When the return guy is being tackled by 6 guys who are untouched, that worries me.
- lack of adjustments on both sides of the ball. Football is all about match ups and adjustments. I feel like the Griz have the talent to match up with anyone. We are not making the necessary in game adjustments to win games. In fact, it's led to a number of losses. When does that get fixed? Why isn't it already? He was pressed about this in the most recent presser.....sadly he had no answer which left me questioning what he can accomplish for the first time as a fan. I lost faith after that presser a bit. It didn't help him at all.
- sometimes he comes off "above the game" with a cocky arrogance that can rub the wrong way. I don't think it's always intentional but I would like to see him be more humble at times. It's gotten better over the last year or two

Where I stand:

I am holding out hope but losing it quickly for the first time. I think he can earn an extension and I'd support that, but a trip to the playoffs has to happen first. If the passing defense doesn't change soon (we are 123 out of 126 FCS teams) with some in game adjustments or overall change in scheme, I cannot support our DC staying on board. Sucks to say it but he may have to part ways with Semore at the end of the season just to keep his own job, as Griz Nation will demand some kind of change.

I could have written this one...But prolly wouldn't have done that good a job. You expressed my take on things exactly...... :clap:

I am all about giving Stitt another extension if we make the playoffs and beat state. I think our offense is going to continue to put up great numbers. Our defense needs some major help. Semore needs to make some serious adjustments and get the defense back to where it should be. If we can't get back to where we should be on defense Stitt is going to have to make some tough decisions for What to do with Semore.

It will be interesting to see if Stitt has the guts to make changes. Glenn fired Richards after 1 game! The D has been playing like this since last years meltdown so it is not like this effort is something new. I like most of the offensive philosophy but I think Stitt had the D2 mentality about running 100 plays and gassing opponents. This is D1 and he ran 96 plays against EWU and they ran 96 and the Griz were the ones gassed. I think the lack of depth at the D2 level gave way to tiring out defenses where teams have better athletes and depth in the FCS than he was used to. I like his recruiting so far but need to see better fundamentals and discipline from the D. IMO, if the D can't get going and nothing happens, Semore could cost Stitt his job.

Ursus1 said:
Good....grades, discipline some great recruits

Bad....
After last season he said would look at everything in program....special teams (and coordinator) still stink. Got rid of WR coach....had a new one who bolted. Defensive coordinator is still issue, but after the TG thing he might be too stubborn to change that position and admit it wasn't a good choice. Never got the DB issue solved through JC or dropdowns or recruits (poorest area success in his recruiting has left no depth)

My take....win cat game and make playoffs one more year extension, lose Cat and make playoffs must change DC and ST coaches but get a year. Lose to cats no playoffs, pack your bags

I agree with all of this...including the assessment at the end. Unfortunately, I believe right now he may be too stubborn to fire DC.

grizcountry420 said:
HookedonGriz said:
If the passing defense doesn't change soon (we are 123 out of 126 FCS teams)

Our defense is ranked 99th and that's still totally unacceptable. I remember bitching about being ranked in the 40's & 50's when Gregorak was D Coord. Man, would I love to see that on the sheets this year.

http://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fcs/current/team/22/p2

Sadly, if we were 40th, we'd probably be 3-1 right now. :oops: :oops:

bigkid said:
Have to admit that those are startling numbers. I knew it was bad but wow :shock:

We've played the two hardest teams we're going to face. I believe they'll improve. Probably never enough for our liking, but they'll get better.

Back