• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Krak's Latest News

NorthEndZoneDan

DONOR
Dillon Kato updated this story less than an hour ago, not sure if everyone has seen it or not.
This is rich, I'm still laughing. Paoli has just nailed it perfectly.
http://missoulian.com/news/local/attorney-asks-for-krakauer-s-records-request-to-be-tossed/article_f21f6213-2a1b-50f7-835d-945d87c4704a.html?utm_content=buffer2ad9d&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=LEEDCC
Paoli has asked the judge to toss Krak's petition because Krak has illegally obtained the documents.

"The attorney representing a University of Montana student whose overturned expulsion is the subject of a records request by Jon Krakauer claims the bestselling author already acquired the documents illegally and is using the court system to "launder" them.
Krakauer's attorney says his client doesn't have any documents about the former student that are not a part of public records.

In early September Missoula attorney David Paoli — who represented former University of Montana quarterback Jordan Johnson during a 2013 rape trial that saw Johnson acquitted — filed a pair of motions in Lewis and Clark County District Court, asking for the judge to force Krakauer to turn over any documents he already possesses and reveal their sources.

Paoli also asked that the court toss out Krakauer’s petition to have the Commissioner of Higher Education release documents about how it handled the expulsion of Paoli’s client — a UM student, identified only as John Doe, who was accused of raping another student.

In 2012, following multiple campus proceedings, the unidentified UM student accused of rape — in a case whose allegations were identical to those in the eventual criminal case filed against Johnson — was expelled. That expulsion was upheld by then-President Royce Engstrom, but later overturned when the student appealed to the Commissioner of Higher Education, Clayton Christian.

Krakauer sued to find out how Christian dealt with the case.

A 2014 order by a District Court judge in Helena told Christian’s office to let the author review the documents he wanted to see, but the Commissioner’s Office appealed the ruling. In 2016, the Montana Supreme Court sent the case back to the District Court for an in camera — that is, private — review of the documents to determine which, if any, should be released.

The John Doe whose UM expulsion and reinstatement is at the center of Krakauer’s request has been allowed to act as an intervenor in the case, and is represented by Paoli — Johnson’s defense attorney in the criminal case. While Paoli only terms his client as Doe, Krakauer’s court filings have specifically referenced him as being Johnson.

In his court motions earlier this month, Paoli said that in interviews, Krakauer has repeatedly claimed to have records and documents that he himself has stated he “shouldn’t possess,” with Paoli claiming that these records, which he believes are about his client, were “obtained improperly or illegally.”

“The court should require Krakauer to provide it with all the ill-gotten fruit from his poisonous harvest of student records,” Paoli wrote.

He is also requesting that Krakauer tell the judge, as well as the Commissioner of Higher Education’s office and Paoli and his client, where he got the records.

Paoli wrote in a supporting brief that Montana’s Media Confidentiality Act, which protects journalists from being forced to divulge information or sources of information gathered as part of their work, does not cover book authors.

“Really, Krakauer isn’t asking for the records. He already has them. What he is looking to the District Court for is a ‘get out of jail free card,’” Paoli wrote. “Here, Krakauer obtained documents by illegitimate — i.e. illegal — means and is trying to use this Court to launder the documents.”

Paoli is also asking the court to dismiss Krakauer’s petition for the documents to be reviewed entirely, saying Krakauer broke federal education privacy laws by gaining access to documents without a court order or subpoena.

“Petitioner’s hands are not just unclean, they are filthy with the ‘thousands and thousands of pages’ of records he should not possess.”

In a court filing replying to Paoli’s requests, Helena attorney Mike Meloy — who represents Krakauer — said the only documents the author has about Johnson were either released by a federal court or a part of the U.S. Department of Justice’s investigation report.

“He has never obtained any of Mr. Johnson’s student records, other than those that were filed by his attorney in federal court and ultimately made public by that court,” Meloy wrote.

Meloy wrote that Krakauer is interested in how Johnson’s expulsion was overturned after it was upheld by Engstrom.

“From that point forward, the disposition by University officials of Doe’s student status is secret,” Meloy said. “Any argument that his request for records was motivated by an ulterior motive or somehow brought in bad faith is therefore wholly misplaced.”

Meloy wrote that Paoli’s request that Krakauer “disgorge” any documents he already has was made without citing any legal authority for the court to make such an order, adding that he doesn’t believe any such authority exists.

“Any allegations to the contrary by Intervenor are based on pure suspicion and speculation, both of which have been discredited by Krakauer’s sworn testimony.”

A little premature with the laughing, there. Paoli makes a request on which there has been no action and which may not even be answered in his favor, and you're getting the tingle up your leg? Hold your fire, buddy ... not quite time to let the wad fly, yet.

Fat Bruno said:
A little premature with the laughing, there. Paoli makes a request on which there has been no action and which may not even be answered in his favor, and you're getting the tingle up your leg? Hold your fire, buddy ... not quite time to let the wad fly, yet.

and its a great stunt. its on par with the stunt with the enlarged photo of the locomotive engine. Dont underestimate Paoli.

This is not a pitch to a jury. The judge on this case is thoughtful and diligent. Argument on a motion needs support with evidence. I'm not faulting the stunt, just not convinced it will work.

My blood boils every time I hear that krak-heads name. It's time to tie him up and let the football team use him as a tackling dummie.

I read the article earlier. My favorite line was "both have been discredited by Krakaurs sworn testimony" or however it read.

Now THAT.....Is laughable. He always tells the whole truth and nothing but. No stretching, no omitting.....gag

goatcreekgriz said:
This is not a pitch to a jury. The judge on this case is thoughtful and diligent. Argument on a motion needs support with evidence. I'm not faulting the stunt, just not convinced it will work.

Well, I'm no big city lawyer, but I would think "stunt" might be the incorrect term here. "Advocacy within the rules in an adversarial system for which someone is willing to pay" might be a better term.

Paoli's motion is based multiple quotes from Krakauer. Krak repeatedly says he has docs and info that he shouldn't have. Either Krak or his lawyer, or both, are lying, is my view. See below. Check out the last quote. You make the call.

"Krakauer's boasts and claims to possess records that he "should not have" and which he accomplished legally include:

"I didn't just interview a lot of people. I tried to interview the rapist. I interviewed victims. I interviewed cops off the record. I got a lot of records that I wasn't supposed to have. Montana has a very good Press Shield Law so I couldn't do that legally."

"Instead, he chased written records and audio recordings, and he got them. The information, he said, is a lot more valuable than the mayor and police chief saying, "Trust us, we're on this."

"I got a lot of documents that I'm not supposed to have," Krakauer said.

"I, for the most part, did not have cooperation of any law enforcement. I relied on records that I'm not supposed to have. I relied on documents."

"But I had thousands and thousands of pages of trial transcripts, hearing transcripts. I had recordings."

"I have all these audio recordings of university investigations and police interviews. I'm not supposed to have this stuff, and I can't say how I got it, and its so much more valuable."

CDAGRIZ said:
goatcreekgriz said:

Well, I'm no big city lawyer, but I would think "stunt" might be the incorrect term here. "Advocacy within the rules in an adversarial system for which someone is willing to pay" might be a better term.
Stunts can serve long-term goals, and every good advocate has at least one long-term goal. Maybe the goal is to ultimately expose a "leaker" and, if so, this could work. Not sure how that would help a "willing to pay" client but I could also be totally wrong about the goal(s).

goatcreekgriz said:
CDAGRIZ said:
goatcreekgriz said:

Stunts can serve long-term goals, and every good advocate has at least one long-term goal. Maybe the goal is to ultimately expose a "leaker" and, if so, this could work. Not sure how that would help a "willing to pay" client but I could also be totally wrong about the goal(s).

Uh, yeah. Not mutually exclusive.

PlayerRep said:
Paoli's motion is based multiple quotes from Krakauer. Krak repeatedly says he has docs and info that he shouldn't have. Either Krak or his lawyer, or both, are lying, is my view. See below. Check out the last quote. You make the call.

"Krakauer's boasts and claims to possess records that he "should not have" and which he accomplished legally include:

"I didn't just interview a lot of people. I tried to interview the rapist. I interviewed victims. I interviewed cops off the record. I got a lot of records that I wasn't supposed to have. Montana has a very good Press Shield Law so I couldn't do that legally."

"Instead, he chased written records and audio recordings, and he got them. The information, he said, is a lot more valuable than the mayor and police chief saying, "Trust us, we're on this."

"I, for the most part, did not have cooperation of any law enforcement. I relied on records that I'm not supposed to have. I relied on documents."

"But I had thousands and thousands of pages of trial transcripts, hearing transcripts. I had recordings."

"I have all these audio recordings of university investigations and police interviews. I'm not supposed to have this stuff, and I can't say how I got it, and its so much more valuable."
I thought the issue before the Court was whether Clay Christian's files should be released, not what Krak may have obtained by stealth and may be protected by the media privilege. Maybe one of DP's goals is to force a deposition of Krak. That one would not be dull and I suspect the video would make the rounds.

PlayerRep said:

Can you say florio, you know qwen baby, ok maybe not.

All I know is that I love this sentence....how poetic...

“The court should require Krakauer to provide it with all the ill-gotten fruit from his poisonous harvest of student records,” Paoli wrote.

There has been some question why Krak would pursue the court case to deem the documents public records, when he apparently already has them. My speculation is that if the documents were deemed a public record it would immediately immunize Krakauer from a libel suit. If he has obtained the records illegally and knew they were not a public record, he could be very exposed to a libel prosection (and potentially big bucks) if he published them.

My question about this whole proceeding is why is Jordan Johnson, through Paoli, getting involved in this case (at some considerable expense I would guess). The case is primarily between the Commissioner of Higher Education and Krakauer---- so what interest does Jordan Johnson now have in the outcome. As I understand it, he settled his claim with the university system, and has long since severed his relationship with the university as a student. Anyone care to speculate??

It's probably relevant to mention that I am an attorney, so tend to look at legal proceedings a little differently than the average layman--- though I am not making any claim to being up to speed in the areas of Montana law relevant to this proceeding.

I think you said it in your first paragraph--Paoli is setting up the libel/def case. Who knows but I love seeing crackwhore squirm

Back