• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Opinions on Hurry Up ...

hilinegrizfan

It came up in another thread and I thought maybe it deserved its own conversation...

Is there a point in a game when we should slow it down? I understand it is our bread and butter, but up by 2 TD's in the 3rd quarter with 2 minutes left... should we try running some time off the clock, close out the 3rd with a 2 TD lead? Or keep attacking with the hurry up? At what point do you adjust your offensive strategy in regards to the lead you have, and to give your D a break? I understand there was still a lot of football left, but maybe having the ball and up by 2 TD's to start the 4th could have a positive impact... I'd like to hear your thoughts.

Funny, but I bet all those guys that hated it when Bobby used to do that are going to chime in about how that's exactly what Stitt should've done in 3...2...1....

There's a time and a place. When you have the defense on their heels, when you have momentum, when you are down it is useful. When you have a big lead, your defense is tired, and the defensive coaches need time to adjust it is not useful. Being a good head coach is looking at all aspects and not hanging your defense out to dry with a hurry up 3 play set that gives them 4 minutes on the sideline with their coaches and to get a quick rest. That's why teams have a HEAD coach and 3 coordinators. The Head Coach should look out for best interest of all 3 phases, ours does not.

grizd said:
There's a time and a place. When you have the defense on their heels, when you have momentum, when you are down it is useful. When you have a big lead, your defense is tired, and the defensive coaches need time to adjust it is not useful. Being a good head coach is looking at all aspects and not hanging your defense out to dry with a hurry up 3 play set that gives them 4 minutes on the sideline with their coaches and to get a quick rest. That's why teams have a HEAD coach and 3 coordinators. The Head Coach should look out for best interest of all 3 phases, ours does not.

It this point I'm not even sure he's aware of the other 2 parts of the game

Heres what I want to know, If the defense is "tiring out" why isn't the Offense they are facing doing the same? Couldn't the issue be one of depth and inability to "substitute" Changing the offensive scheme doesn't seem to make sense, not when it working (40+ points is working usually)

Call it strange but is there is a possibility that Stitt wanted to run up the score and make a statement?

hilinegrizfan said:
It came up in another thread and I thought maybe it deserved its own conversation...

Is there a point in a game when we should slow it down? I understand it is our bread and butter, but up by 2 TD's in the 3rd quarter with 2 minutes left... should we try running some time off the clock, close out the 3rd with a 2 TD lead? Or keep attacking with the hurry up? At what point do you adjust your offensive strategy in regards to the lead you have, and to give your D a break? I understand there was still a lot of football left, but maybe having the ball and up by 2 TD's to start the 4th could have a positive impact... I'd like to hear your thoughts.

EWU pretty successfully wrecked us with a hurry up in the 2nd half.

It's about execution IMO.

BWahlberg said:
hilinegrizfan said:

Exactly. EWU outstitted Stitt.

Execution is always a possibility and can always be said in a loss. "We didn't win because we didn't execute". Sure that is true. However putting players in position to make execution possible/more likely is absolutely and 100% the single most important and primary job of the coaches. After EWU marched down the field with short passes to the edge and dumps to the running backs once and then again and again somewhere in there someone needs to say we will accept anything but that. How to change that is the DCs job. If we are already in the best scheme to do that then great, trinitrotoluene and whoever else wants to come up with other unprovable theories like the players we have just arent good enough or we dont have enough of them maybe right. My question would be were we using an appropriate strategy to stop what they were doing? Listening to Gubrud he sure didnt think so.

I kind of have to laugh at this. At halftime, I heard almost everyone stating that the Griz had to keep the pedal down. After the game, people want to ask the question, "Should they have slowed it down?"

I've always wondered if its possible to toggle between a fast-tempo and a clock-control type of offense. I have seen a lot of up-temp teams try to hold onto leads by slowing it down, ultimately to lose their big lead, or even the game because they couldn't execute both styles of offense. I'm not convinced you can be both offenses.

If you are going to run 90 plays a game, your defense needs to be able to play the same game. You better plan on rotating 20-22 guys regularly on defense to keep them fresh. Chip Kelly's Oregon teams did this very well.

HelenaHandBasket said:
I kind of have to laugh at this. At halftime, I heard almost everyone stating that the Griz had to keep the pedal down. After the game, people want to ask the question, "Should they have slowed it down?"

I think the assumption was that passes would be caught.

HelenaHandBasket said:

Exactly the comment I was going to use. If this, then that...truth is, Griz had that game and lost, for whatever reason everyone wants to use. If they catch that TD pass, 31-13 is a bit more demoralizing than 27-14, so maybe things change...maybe they don't. I also think that there is no reason to stop scoring or doing what's working. True the offense needs to take what they give, but maybe the Freshman shouldn't have tried the 4th and 5th deep ball. Maybe this is where some learning needs to happen as well. Grind the clock a little within the offense that's been working. 3-5 ypc for Calhoun and Lee on first or second down makes for easier conversions. He will learn. It's not all on Stitt, being HC or not. It's all a learning process and I think with Philips we win that game for the little things that our Freshman doesn't quite get.
I for one actually like the screens, when they work, for the exact reasons Stitt uses them...gasses the defense over time and it's like a run play. Certainly worked against our Griz defense. In reality, my season guess was 8-3...I figured this was going to be a loss. Still possible, heck even can still do better. Portland State is the next game up...I for one am upset, but will scream for them to win this week.

BWahlberg said:
hilinegrizfan said:

They got into a really good rhythm and executed their offense perfect in the 2nd half. They were hiking the ball while we were looking at the sidelines to see what the call on defense was going to be. They caught us a bunch of times doing that.

HelenaHandBasket said:

Bob’s gonna be Bob. He’s invested too much in that to do something else. And he was right in believing that Gube wasn’t going to keep missing like the first half.

BWahlberg said:
hilinegrizfan said:

Here's my question: Does Stitt's offensive scheme depend on hurry up? Will it not work if run like normal? How much of his success depends on having guys out of position or gassed? Why can't the offense itself stand on it's own without something gimmicky like a hurry-up aspect?

HelenaHandBasket said:

Well, hindsight always is a perfect 20/20. :thumb: :thumb:

AZGrizFan said:
BWahlberg said:
hilinegrizfan said:

Here's my question: Does Stitt's offensive scheme depend on hurry up? Will it not work if run like normal? How much of his success depends on having guys out of position or gassed? Why can't the offense itself stand on it's own without something gimmicky like a hurry-up aspect?

Well I'd say considering they actually very rarely this year have run the hurry up I'd say no it's not dependent on it. I only think right now they use hurry up for situational stuff like 3rd and shorts or close to go in the goal.

RobGriz said:
Funny, but I bet all those guys that hated it when Bobby used to do that are going to chime in about how that's exactly what Stitt should've done in 3...2...1....

BH would do that with a 3 point lead.

fanofzoo said:
RobGriz said:

BH would do that with a 3 point lead.
LOL! True enough

BWahlberg said:
AZGrizFan said:
BWahlberg said:
hilinegrizfan said:

Well I'd say considering they actually very rarely this year have run the hurry up I'd say no it's not dependent on it. I only think right now they use hurry up for situational stuff like 3rd and shorts or close to go in the goal.

96 plays for both teams. WEWU certainly looked like they were trying to play fast to see if the could gain advantage by having the defense out of position & or gassed. So the Griz weren’t trying to do the same?

Stitt wouldn’t call what they do “hurry up” as much as it’s playing fast. It’s semantics. It sure looks fast or hurry up-like in comparison to what teams like UNDSU do.

Latest posts

Back