• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Recap from Kaimin...hard to argue any of it

HookedonGriz

DONOR
http://www.montanakaimin.com/sports/sunday-school-griz-blow-big-lead-against-eastern/article_6ffb3b22-a14d-11e7-9ec9-33ccd3f6b587.html

The fact EWU knew what was going to happen, prepared for it and UM coaches didn't have anything new is a big sign of inadequacies.

Msn we've really fallen far. This is embarrassing. Stitt Semore and Haslam need canned asap.

Let's hope that Bobby will come back. Would be exciting to see what he could do with Gresch and a better O-line with the 22 freaking receivers we have.

Hawkeyebowhunter said:
Msn we've really fallen far. This is embarrassing. Stitt Semore and Haslam need canned asap.

Let's hope that Bobby will come back. Would be exciting to see what he could do with Gresch and a better O-line with the 22 freaking receivers we have.

If Bobby came back we'd probably win games, but I'm not so sure that it would be good for Jensen's development. He's played his whole career in the spread, switching to a pro set offense would take some adjustments, as well as possibly sacrificing some of his inherent strengths. Remember when JJ was forced into running Delaney's pro set? He performed well; but did it maximize his potential?

Boscoe said:
Hawkeyebowhunter said:

If Bobby came back we'd probably win games, but I'm not so sure that it would be good for Jensen's development. He's played his whole career in the spread, switching to a pro set offense would take some adjustments, as well as possibly sacrificing some of his inherent strengths. Remember when JJ was forced into running Delaney's pro set? He performed well; but did it maximize his potential?

I care more about wins than an individual's stats....so did Bobby

Stop it with the "Bobby" talk....He aint coming through the doors of the Adams Center any time soon.

PlayerRep said:
MTGRZ said:
Stop it with the "Bobby" talk....He aint coming through the doors of the Adams Center any time soon.

Why do you believe that to be the case?

The University would take a large step back in the public relations department. And that is HUGE in the rebuilding/rebranding of UM. Like it or not, many people around the state feel UM is/was unsafe. This was in large part due to perceived/real atmosphere of lawlessness created around Bobby's football team. Unfair to lump the entire UM athletic department in with those bad apples, but people saw it as a stain on UM. A stain that was in part due to Bobby's guys. In short, just poor PR.

MTGRZ said:
PlayerRep said:
MTGRZ said:

The University would take a large step back in the public relations department. And that is HUGE in the rebuilding/rebranding of UM. Like it or not, many people around the state feel UM is/was unsafe. This was in large part due to perceived/real atmosphere of lawlessness created around Bobby's football team. Unfair to lump the entire UM athletic department in with those bad apples, but people saw it as a stain on UM. A stain that was in part due to Bobby's guys. In short, just poor PR.
If betsy (doesn't deserve a capital) was in charge back then we wouldn't have had that pr problem. :roll: :mrgreen:

MTGRZ said:

Trav is doing a fine job, we don't need him to come through the doors of the Adams Center. We need him to come through the tunnel at WA Griz

MTGRZ said:
PlayerRep said:
MTGRZ said:

That crap was mostly fabricated by Gwen and the other nutjobs trying to unseat the football program. I went to school with some of the players that played for Bobby and was good friends with many of them. We had WAYYYY more good guys and a few bad guys that stained the whole program. For every quenton freeman we had a Marc Mariani, Colt Anderson, Chase Reynolds, Lex Hillard, Cole Bergquist etc and I don't think you could find any better role model than those 5 previously mentioned.

The_Real_Chief said:
MTGRZ said:
PlayerRep said:
MTGRZ said:

That crap was mostly fabricated by Gwen and the other nutjobs trying to unseat the football program. I went to school with some of the players that played for Bobby and was good friends with many of them. We had WAYYYY more good guys and a few bad guys that stained the whole program. For every quenton freeman we had a Marc Mariani, Colt Anderson, Chase Reynolds, Lex Hillard, Cole Bergquist etc and I don't think you could find any better role model than those 5 previously mentioned.

I don't disagree with you that the majority of players were stand-up guys. I also have personal stories that can confirm that the majority of Bobby's players were good guys. I was just saying that many people around the state have negative feelings towards the program from that time. I agree the Missoulian and Gwen did a lot of damage to the University. I don't believe it is fair to give the players, the team, the athletic department, and the University of Montana a bad name based the action of a few players; but the reality is that many people do give UM a bad name because of it.

fanofzoo said:
MTGRZ said:
PlayerRep said:
MTGRZ said:

If betsy (doesn't deserve a capital) was in charge back then we wouldn't have had that pr problem. :roll: :mrgreen:

I guess I'm not sure who (B)betsy is....?

Reading all the pregame threads it appeared a fair portion of posters ( and the majority of our tailgate prognosticators) thought we would lose and lose big. We didn't. If this was the final score but we never got the 18 point lead nobody would be bitching and calling for the coaches' heads. What I saw in this game and in others is that we simply do not have the speed or talent in the secondary to effectively defend a good passing attack once the pass rushers get gassed and can't put pressure on the QB. (I know, all secondaries have this problem). Has it gone unnoticed that no matter what Semore tries this secondary still gets eaten up by good qb-receiver combos once the qb has time to throw?

I do agree that, had everybody including the coaching staff realized this was going to happen and Gabe would quit making overthrows and have a lot more time to throw, a slowdown from the O would have been a great strategy. But if we didn't have the drop in the end zone, didn't have the ticky-tacky PO called on 13 on 4th down in the end zone, didn't have the throw off a back foot into double coverage for the pick, if 13 could tackle the receiver for a 6 yard gain instead of a TD on the next play, we would all be celebrating a victory. These are all player mistakes in execution, not coaching mistakes.

As for what could the DC do? Eastern's hurry up disrupted the DC's play calling and good for Eastern in recognizing this. I hope Semore can figure out how to get the calls in quicker or the Griz will see this the rest of the year. I don't recall a single CB blitz. A good sack or hit from the blindside at full speed gets in a QB's head so they start or continue rushing throws. I didn't see the aggressive calls we were lead to believe were his trademark.

blegriz said:
Stitt will get this thing figured out

Good Gravy, I hope that was a joke. What has he done in 2 & 1/3rd years that would make you believe he could figure this out???

MTGRZ said:
PlayerRep said:
MTGRZ said:

Hauck was at UM for 7 years? What lawlessness? The house burglary. What else? No sexual assault allegations. Either you or people in MT are just making this up. It isn't supported by the facts.

PlayerRep said:
MTGRZ said:
PlayerRep said:
MTGRZ said:

Hauck was at UM for 7 years? What lawlessness? The house burglary. What else? No sexual assault allegations. Either you or people in MT are just making this up. It isn't supported by the facts.

I've been saying this for years, for once i agree with PR.

PlayerRep said:
MTGRZ said:
PlayerRep said:
MTGRZ said:

No sexual assault allegations? Who do you think recruited the athletes who brought a slew of sexual assault and rape allegations/convictions? Do you remember Beau Donaldson? Jordan Johnson? The four players who were accused of a 2010 gang rape? What about Tru's assault? Jason Washington? Gerald Kemp?Jimmy Wilson ended up being justified, but still not a good look.

Like I have said many times before, I do not like widespread bashing of the players/football team/athletic department/University, but come on....We did have some issues. It is beyond time to own up to them. Once we do that, we can move on.

MTGRZ said:
PlayerRep said:
MTGRZ said:
PlayerRep said:

No sexual assault allegations? Who do you think recruited the athletes who brought a slew of sexual assault and rape allegations/convictions? Do you remember Beau Donaldson? Jordan Johnson? The four players who were accused of a 2010 gang rape? What about Tru's assault? Jason Washington? Gerald Kemp?Jimmy Wilson ended up being justified, but still not a good look.

Like I have said many times before, I do not like widespread bashing of the players/football team/athletic department/University, but come on....We did have some issues. It is beyond time to own up to them. Once we do that, we can move on.

I agree with both of you. Ultimately there was no "there" there. But the aura the hatchet pieces created is undeniable, and unfortunately that's a genie that can't be put back in the bottle.

Back