• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Post Game: The tale of two halves

BWahlberg

DONOR
Ok Griz Nation, it’s the next day and there’s plenty of assessment of what happened and what went wrong for the Griz last night. We really did see two Griz teams, the first half team had it going and was doing most all things right. The second half team though... well we all know the end result. I’ve seen suggestions of scheme, fatigue, fans, tackling, drops, poor adjustments, and more and I think really a little bit of everything most likely contributed to one of the most deflating collapses we’ve seen from the Griz in quite a while.

As always I wanted to share some thoughts and takeaways.

- If this is the start of the Gresch Jensen era we’re in great hands. He skillfully moved the offense and didn’t look like an RS Frosh much with some great touch on his passes and some gutsy decisions. His mobility showed up too which forced the EWU defense to always keep an eye on him and keep passing lanes open. It wasn’t all great of course, he was behind WRs occasionally and would rush throws when stepping up in the pocket sometimes that lead to some skipped passes. His INT was a youthful mistake, just trying to force a pass into double coverage to avoid a sack. I’m sure in film they’ll go over that he should’ve just thrown the pass away or take the sack there.

- Dropped passes aren’t the sole thing to pin this loss on, and I don’t think anyone is doing that, but boy it was probably the biggest factor in failures with efficiency on the offense. There were a few drops, some tough contested passes, one by Curran early but they rebounded from that, the 4th down pass to JLM that was in his hands and knocked out. But the drops greatly compounded in the 2nd half and as it’s been said on here already, the two tougher contested passes to Akem and then the wide open drop by LT swung in the 3rd could have broken EWU’s back. Any of those get hauled in and it’s 31-13 with just a little over a quarter to play.

- The improvements to the O-line through solid coaching by Germer and conditioning by Nicholson showed up again. Gresch was sacked just twice and rushed a few other times, but the OL otherwise protected well. Run blocking wasn’t bad either. I was a little frustrated that while the OL was getting a the minimum 2-3 yards per most inside carry that late in the game on 4th and 2 it was opted to throw a slow developing screen pass that wound up being a turnover on downs. Rely on the guys that are doing the work and get that push for another first.

- As suggested to me by another fan after the game it seems like maybe EWU used the 1st half to feel out what the Griz would show them and then they’d counter-punch in the 2nd half. If that’s the case it worked damn well. The Griz defense especially couldn’t seem to find an answer to what EWU threw at them in the 2nd half. Hurry up and quick screens to counter a softer cushion in coverage and no man pressing the slot WR turned into gain after gain after gain. It’s a double-edged sword though, last year the Griz went man most of the time and took those short routes away but then got beat deep over the top way too much. This year they’ve adjusted to account for that but last night those shorter routes and the hurry up offense seemed to stun the D and no adjustment or recovery was made for it.

- Tucker Schye had himself yet another ballgame. 3 sacks, 4.5 TFLs, and another FF and recovery. I have no idea if he can keep this pace all season but if so he’s shaping up to be one of the most feared DE’s in the conference. I was worried teams would key in on him and totally take him out of the game, but with the need to also watch Buss and now with Rodriguez emerging you’d think Tucker’s opportunities are going to continue. Kidder passing down #37 to Tucker seems to have been a great decision.

- I really like the Simis wildcat series and it resulted in a TD. I’d really like to see that come out more than once a game. Additionally Makena can throw it as we all know, so if we can get some sets where he passes it too… man, that could be a fun portion of the offense to develop.

- Rough game at times for Josh Sandry, juked a few times and then a real costly PI on a 4th down pass where the pass was overthrown to the point where he probably didn’t need to pull the WR’s jersey. He’s a young guy and I don’t think this shakes my confidence in him… he’ll learn and rebound from it.

- I was really liking what I saw from the rush defense through most of the game and the RZ defense in the first half at least. EWU made a few trips into the RZ and wound up only being able to attempt fieldgoals. Unfortunately that unraveled as the game went on. It felt like things were working well overall and then suddenly with EWU’s opening 3rd quarter drive it wasn’t.

- Alijah Lee had a great game, I’d posted last week that each week he gets better and better, and last night was no exception. We’ve got a good 1-2 punch with Lee and Calhoun and I wouldn’t be surprised if we start to see even more of Lee on 1st and 2nd down situations when a guy like him with a faster burst than Calhoun can add some more yards. Calhoun got a little dinged up again but keeps showing he’s a good power back and a downhill runner but still hasn’t been able to break through much and burst out into the open field like Lee does. It’s fine though, as long as we’ve got the two it’s a great mix.

- Brandon Purdy still hasn’t missed a PAT or fieldgoal. Awesome

- I thought Ryan McKinley had a good game breaking up passes and sticking on his guy. Some fans around me were a little frustrated with him though in situations where he wouldn’t very aggressively get after WRs that had just made a catch. He stuck to his cover well and had some key breakups through the game. Markell Sanders also was good when EWU attacked downfield, a very nice pick to end a drive where EWU was threatening to put some points up.

- I’m not sure what the kickoff return blocking scheme was but every time Toure got to the 20 yard line he faced 5 to 6 totally unblocked EWU players. Someone posted that Toure “played scared” back there… I disagree, I think he just was tired of getting destroyed by a group of white jerseys that were flying at him full speed and unblocked. That was a punishment he took last night. Not sure what the breakdown was but that needs to be analyzed on film.

- Safety is now paper thin depending on the health of Evan Epperly who went out late. Mick Delaney appeared to suffer a pretty major injury based on seeing him in street clothes, on crutches, and with his whole leg in a brace, and then Ep hits the wall funny and appeared to also hurt his leg. Sandry re-aggravated his ankle injury too, Strong still has that club on. That puts us down to very few fully healthy safeties.

- On the injury front I’m really hoping that some of the others seen last night weren’t too bad. Calhoun and Curran both didn’t return, and I think as evidenced by some dropped passes by less experienced players Curran was missed out there in the 3rd/4th quarter. Buss got hurt but came back. I think we had a few OL guys looking pretty banged up late as well.

--------------------

OK Griz Nation – where do we go from here? The Griz hit the road for a pivotal 2 game stretch that promises to test the hell out of them and while it’s still early to talk about “must win” you feel that sentiment creeping in. And while we’re all pissed and fuming today, believe me, so are the players and so is the coaching staff.

We’ve seen Griz teams lose in bad/frustrating fashions before and we’ve seen two outcomes. The first is that the team rallies to each other, builds from it, and gets better. The second is essentially the opposite and they continue to lose focus and things just get worse. I have faith that these guys can rebound and get things back on track. Don’t give up on these guys Griz Nation! They need your support!

Go Griz!

I only watched the 2nd half, but what I saw reminded me of the Prukop led MSU teams. Play fast, Put up a ton of points, but defense is gassed in the 2nd half and can't stop anyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wbtfg said:
I only watched the 2nd half, but what I saw reminded me of the Prukop led MSU teams. Play fast, Put up a ton of points, but defense is gassed in the 2nd half and can't stop anyone.

Seemed that way, when EWU went to the hurry up there were many times the DL wasn't even lined up and I think we had 1 or 2 substitution fouls.

wbtfg said:

Hey Einstein, both teams played exactly 45 offensive snaps in the 1st half. Defense got gassed because offense stalled and couldn't sustain a single drive until late in the 3rd quarter.

All fluff stats on offense. Who really gives 2 [emoji90]what the offense does against the most inept defense in the conference outside of ours? Where does griznation go from here? I think there's enough stitt data now to make a fairly accurate prediction.

hm.grwn.grizfan said:
All fluff stats on offense. Who really gives 2 [emoji90]what the offense does against the most inept defense in the conference outside of ours? Where does griznation go from here? I think there's enough stitt data now to make a fairly accurate prediction.

Well I for one liked that we put 41 points up on offense, didn't see that too much in meaningful games last season. Defensively though... saw a Skyline tweet that EWU scored 35 points in 17 minutes... that's real bad.

AZGrizFan said:
wbtfg said:

Hey Einstein, both teams played exactly 45 offensive snaps in the 1st half. Defense got gassed because offense stalled and couldn't sustain a single drive until late in the 3rd quarter.

Like I said, I only watched 2nd half. Griz D was gassed.

Who we got for true freshman safeties? In case they need to burn a red-shirt. One other play that I think started it all for EWU in the 3rd Q was when they had 3rd & 21, and GG ran for 22 yards. A stop there, and they don't score - and Griz maintain momentum.

wbtfg said:
AZGrizFan said:
wbtfg said:

Like I said, I only watched 2nd half. Griz D was gassed.

Both teams ended up with 96 plays if I recall correctly.

I'll never give up on our guys, I'm with them no matter what. It just seems like the same crap, again and again and again with no, or very little improvement or change.

I sure picked a bad week to stop drinking.

GO GRIZ!

BWahlberg said:
hm.grwn.grizfan said:

Well I for one liked that we put 41 points up on offense, didn't see that too much in meaningful games last season. Defensively though... saw a Skyline tweet that EWU scored 35 points in 17 minutes... that's real bad.
Yes. Very very bad.

A few thoughts.

The Griz couldn't defend the swing passes to the sidelines. The EWU receivers, or some of them, are good blockers, but UM needed to make more of those plays. From the upper deck, I could hear the Griz coaches screaming in the second half, for the secondary to read quicker and come up faster. Don't think this was only for the swing passes.

Gabrud wasn't always on with his longer passes, but he sure was good at moving and scrambling, and then finding the open receiver. Did this time and time again. Thank good the south end zone back line was not 18 inches longer.

The sequence before and after Jensen's pick was just a killer. Think I read that EWU scored 14 in 27 seconds.

The plays weren't coming in fast enough for the D to get set up. Were slow getting in position multiple times. EWU took advantage of us at times with their super hurry-up. Too many missed tackles, especially in space. Those usually aren't easy tackles, but we needed to do better.

The conference needs to do something about EWU constantly faking injuries to slow down the Griz O. Happened multiple times. After being down for a bit, the players would get up and walk off and not even go to the trainers or training table. I wonder if any of them didn't come back in the game right away. Total BS.

Giving up the long kickoff return to start the second half was a bad way to start the half, and led to EWU getting off to a good start with a TD.

As Brint noted, the KO return game was pretty weak. Either EWU's coverage was super, or our guys weren't blocking. I would have put in JLM for KO's later in the game.

FG's and extra points continue to be perfect.

We needed Williams to get off some 50 plus yard punts. Didn't happen. 6 for 35.5 with a long of 40..

Nice game by the backers, especially Buss. Strahm played well, but he would have been better and more up to game speed and condition, if he had played more this season. AS I thought would occur, Strahm started the second series and played the rest of the game.

Thought our D seemed to tire a bit. 96 plays by both teams.

Note sure I would have gone for it on 4th down, I think the first time we did it. We were ahead. Why not pin EWU pack, and give the defense a better start.

EWU is better than I thought, as is Gabrud. The top EWU receivers had 18 and 13 receptions.
Longest pass given up was 50. The two top receivers' longs were only 28 and 27.

Griz run defense continued to be terrific.

Didn't like seeing one of the frosh receivers slide with feet forward to avoid a hit, and then not picking up an easy first down. We got the first down on the next play, fortunately.

Lee ran very well, and his TD was excellent.

Very good crowd. Nice night for football. Not as cold as I thought it might be.

I certainly won't give up on the team or the coaches, but it looks like every game will be a battle. Jensen will improve. As Brint noticed, safety depth is a problem. By the way, I thought Delaney got hurt celebrating the KO coverage, or whatever play it was, when he jumped and pushed his teammate who must have made the tackle, and then must have come down wrong.

Brint,
Been a frequent reader and appreciate your Post Game Reports. Many Griz fans truly appreciate the time you spend on them.

Why no mention of defensive scheme? Or the amount of passing yards given up?

What are your thoughts on the defensive scheme?

I don't think Sandry has been healthy all year long. Those nagging injuries only become more of an issue later in the game. EWU was aware of that and responded accordingly. Safety depth is something that may plague us all year.

PlayerRep said:
A few thoughts.

Note sure I would have gone for it on 4th down, I think the first time we did it. We were ahead. Why not pin EWU pack, and give the defense a better start.

This really bothered me. The River Boat Gambling mentality hurt us last night. The other thing that pissed me off was passing with two yards to go on fourth down - on the second to last series. Run the damn ball with authority and get the first down. Sometimes you have to play smash mouth football.

Sam A. Blitz said:
I don't think Sandry has been healthy all year long. Those nagging injuries only become more of an issue later in the game. EWU was aware of that and responded accordingly. Safety depth is something that may plague us all year.

Good point, he got hurt early against Valpo and has been up and down since. The problem is with Delaney presumably out and Ep an unknown right now I don't know if they can rest him for a week or two.

Glad EWU's first long pass down the middle of field to the north was overthrown, as the receiver was a few steps in the open.

Thanks Brint for your post game break down. The drive back to the flathead was not much fun. I know some guys put the blame on one area or another but I think there is plenty to go around. I too thought Gresh for the most part played pretty good and have been damn good had several easy catches been made which could have blown the game wide open so to blame him is wrong. He did make a few bad throws but so did EWU's QB.
My guess is the team went in at the half just having made a great last second TD and having held the Eagles to such few points that we just need to stay the course but EWU changed and we did not and we seemed to refuse to as the game when on. "MOMENTUM", highly under rated. No doubt it was evident as the 3rd qt went on. Coaching, player execution, defensive fatigue you name it its a mix of all.
Now going on the road, ouch. Griz really need the next two in the win column, maybe Stitt even more.
I was amazed that JLM was kept in check almost the entire game. We needed him to light the fire and switch momentum.

We’ve seen Griz teams lose in bad/frustrating fashions before and we’ve seen two outcomes. The first is that the team rallies to each other, builds from it, and gets better. The second is essentially the opposite and they continue to lose focus and things just get worse. I have faith that these guys can rebound and get things back on track. Don’t give up on these guys Griz Nation! They need your support!

That punch in the mouth thrown by NAU in week seven last season arrived a few games early. Guess we’ll see if things have actually changed.

The conference needs to do something about EWU constantly faking injuries to slow down the Griz O. Happened multiple times. After being down for a bit, the players would get up and walk off and not even go to the trainers or training table. I wonder if any of them didn't come back in the game right away. Total BS.

This should be relatively easy to document and send to the conference powers that be. And if nothing is done, what's good for the goose...

Back