• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Bottom line

nzone

We have lost the last 5-6 conference games and the team does not seem to trend any differently. I wanted to say we beat the bottom dwellers but this program seems to be heading to the basement. One has to ask the question is it the talent on the field or the coaching of that talent? In my humble opinion it's a little of both with it leaning more toward coaching. Haslem has to determine if this is acceptable or not. It seems that most fans seem to move to the unacceptable side of the equation. I'm afraid if it continues people will become uninterested in Griz Football if it hasn't already started.

Last night was a total melt down......

Look at all the comments about the first two games attendance. Things like 22,000 for the opener? Where are all the Griz fans? You can blame it on the competition but I think you are seeing the beginnings of Griz nation pushing back against very high ticket prices and falling off the national radar as a football FCS power.

I understand what putter is saying. I have four tickets and bring family and friends from Great Falls every game. Even travel to some road games. We enjoy the whole game experience. However, the party years are long gone and the road seems to get longer each year. Especially when you have all those miles to rethink the frustration of a meltdown. We have had many of those trips the last couple of years. It is expensive to purchase tickets and travel, eat etc.

I love the Griz and have a house full of Griz memorabilia to show for it. My vehicles have to be the right colors with the Griz plates even personalized. However, the slide into mediocrity with all the advantages that UM have has made me question how many more years I will continue to make the efforts when I can sit in my recliner and shut off the game when the meltdowns occur. We had fans sitting behind us who said they traveled six hours to come to the game and have six hours home. They were not happy to say the least.

The next two games are going to open some eyes. The question is, will it be because of the optimistic promise of the future or the realization that we are in dire straights as to where this program is right now.

grizfan47 said:
I understand what putter is saying. I have four tickets and bring family and friends from Great Falls every game. Even travel to some road games. We enjoy the whole game experience. However, the party years are long gone and the road seems to get longer each year. Especially when you have all those miles to rethink the frustration of a meltdown. We have had many of those trips the last couple of years. It is expensive to purchase tickets and travel, eat etc.

I love the Griz and have a house full of Griz memorabilia to show for it. My vehicles have to be the right colors with the Griz plates even personalized. However, the slide into mediocrity with all the advantages that UM have has made me question how many more years I will continue to make the efforts when I can sit in my recliner and shut off the game when the meltdowns occur. We had fans sitting behind us who said they traveled six hours to come to the game and have six hours home. They were not happy to say the least.

The next two games are going to open some eyes. The question is, will it be because of the optimistic promise of the future or the realization that we are in dire straights as to where this program is right now.
This sums up where I'm at precisely. Just a few years ago I was making bi weekly and sometimes weekly trips of 700 miles to watch Montana. Now, not sure if I'm coming to one this season

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

putter said:
Look at all the comments about the first two games attendance. Things like 22,000 for the opener? Where are all the Griz fans? You can blame it on the competition but I think you are seeing the beginnings of Griz nation pushing back against very high ticket prices and falling off the national radar as a football FCS power.

Perhaps. Attendance seems to have gotten a bit weaker (or worse). 23,160 for first game. 22,228 for second game. Almost 26,000 yesterday.

hm.grwn.grizfan said:
grizfan47 said:

This sums up where I'm at precisely. Just a few years ago I was making bi weekly and sometimes weekly trips of 700 miles to watch Montana. Now, not sure if I'm coming to one this season

We live in Missoula and my wife skipped the first two games. Just not as high of a priority as it used to be. Still is for me. But, I can see why people wouldn't drive a long way and spend a lot of money for every game. It was different when the team was winning almost every game and every game was important for playoff seeding.

PlayerRep said:
hm.grwn.grizfan said:
grizfan47 said:

We live in Missoula and my wife skipped the first two games. Just not as high of a priority as it used to be. Still is for me. But, I can see why people wouldn't drive a long way and spend a lot of money for every game. It was different when the team was winning almost every game and every game was important for playoff seeding.

"Bottom Line" as the subject says, fans will flock to watch a winner no matter the level of play. Mediocre teams will draw decent fans and the local loyal followers and parents. Griz nation is made up of fans from around our huge state. Many of us have been fans since the 80s and 90s but now we are aging. Will the younger fans still flock from around the state to a mid-Big Sky Conference game. And, as I stated in another thread; it is not the loss of one game but about the way this team is losing (meltdown). I don't think most Griz fans are so fickle as to think we will win every game. But we do expect to not give up 42 points in a half.

grizfan47 said:

From Great Falls also, you took the words right out if my mouth.

A fan base that feels entitled to a victory because of how far they traveled isn't a fan base at all.

AZGrizFan said:
A fan base that feels entitled to a victory because of how far they traveled isn't a fan base at all.

How about a fan base that wants to put some very talented kids in the position to win .
Not look like an idiot with the deer in the headlight look on his face when shit starts going south .
Stitt may be some offensive genius and have plenty of praise from all over the country from his peers but he is no head coach

AZ, you missed my point or maybe I didn't state it very well. I/we have endured many losses over the last 25 years. And I have always been a fan. It is not the loss, it the way we lose. Meltdowns and excuses are getting a little thin. If this had been a shootout I would not say a word. I am seriously starting to question the Stitt system and coaching. Is it the coaching or the lack of talent? We had the same kids playing the second half as we did the second. All teams deal with injuries and I have read that EWU's line was in tatters this game. 42 points in a half is a travesty. It has nothing to do with entitlement.

AZGrizFan said:

I don't think it is being entitled to a victory. I remember OOC tickets being $15, now they are $35 with homecoming and the Cats being $60 or more. E-Griz alone raised about $250K for the Champions Center so fans have stepped up and have ownership in the success of this program and these fans like a winning program. I remember losing to Delaware in '93 and fans were upset but they were energized because Montana was starting to become a constant playoff program and relavant on the national scene. We have now done a 180 and are non-ranked and a middle of the pack Big Sky program yet paying for an NDSU type of program. This will always cause discontent.

grizfan47 said:
AZ, you missed my point or maybe I didn't state it very well. I/we have endured many losses over the last 25 years. And I have always been a fan. It is not the loss, it the way we lose. Meltdowns and excuses are getting a little thin. If this had been a shootout I would not say a word. I am seriously starting to question the Stitt system and coaching. Is it the coaching or the lack of talent? We had the same kids playing the second half as we did the second. All teams deal with injuries and I have read that EWU's line was in tatters this game. 42 points in a half is a travesty. It has nothing to do with entitlement.

Why does it matter HOW we lose? Either you're a fan or you're not a fan. But complaining about the travel and feeling like you're not willing to do it because suddenly winning isn't "assured" like it was during the BH years smacks of being a fair weather fan. At the end of the day, only YOU know if that assessment fits you or not.

putter said:
AZGrizFan said:

I don't think it is being entitled to a victory. I remember OOC tickets being $15, now they are $35 with homecoming and the Cats being $60 or more. E-Griz alone raised about $250K for the Champions Center so fans have stepped up and have ownership in the success of this program and these fans like a winning program. I remember losing to Delaware in '93 and fans were upset but they were energized because Montana was starting to become a constant playoff program and relavant on the national scene. We have now done a 180 and are non-ranked and a middle of the pack Big Sky program yet paying for an NDSU type of program. This will always cause discontent.

I like a winning program too. I donate thousands of dollars specifically to the athletic department and its facilities each year (yes, through the eGriz drive that Brint set up) and I don't even have the OPTION of buying season tickets. I root from afar and am jealous for those who are able to make it to every game--no matter the cost (thats also why I don't get misssing the entire 3rd quarter to do something you can do 365 days a year).

Money doesn't guarantee winning. Facilities don't guarantee winning. Prior years of winning doesn't guarantee winning. Before people are ready to throw out the baby with the bath water I'd only ask they wait to see how the season plays out. One game does not a season make.

By the way: I DO make the long trek to Lubbock, TX each weekend for the Tech home games. 394 miles each way. Rain or shine. Win or lose. And I sit in the stand and don't miss a play. My season tickets (2 seats w/parking) cost over $1900 for 6 games. I haven't missed a home game in three years. Have also attended games in Dallas (twice) and Houston (once). Last year we were 4-7 and this year the stadium is still filled to capacity. FANS. And I don't hear anybody bitch about how far they drive.

AZGrizFan said:
putter said:
AZGrizFan said:

I like a winning program too. I donate thousands of dollars specifically to the athletic department and its facilities each year (yes, through the eGriz drive that Brint set up) and I don't even have the OPTION of buying season tickets. I root from afar and am jealous for those who are able to make it to every game--no matter the cost (thats also why I don't get misssing the entire 3rd quarter to do something you can do 365 days a year).

Money doesn't guarantee winning. Facilities don't guarantee winning. Prior years of winning doesn't guarantee winning. Before people are ready to throw out the baby with the bath water I'd only ask they wait to see how the season plays out. One game does not a season make.

By the way: I DO make the long trek to Lubbock, TX each weekend for the Tech home games. 394 miles each way. Rain or shine. Win or lose. And I sit in the stand and don't miss a play. My season tickets (2 seats w/parking) cost over $1900 for 6 games. I haven't missed a home game in three years. Have also attended games in Dallas (twice) and Houston (once). Last year we were 4-7 and this year the stadium is still filled to capacity. FANS. And I don't hear anybody bitch about how far they drive.

I totally agree. I would add that the outreach efforts to those of us who live in other parts of the country are nill. Sometimes, it is even hard to get a radio broadcast. I'm not sure, flying across country to Missoula, the hotel costs, etc. are worth it when a team, any team, gives up 42 points in the second half. I am a Griz fan, 5th generation Montanan who lives elsewhere for lots of reasons, some of them health related but last season's poor showing and this poor showing along with the UW game, and wins against basically Div 2 schools, and it is hard to understand. On the other hand, when I was at UM, even scoring was a big deal. Winning was an afterthought because of the wild antics in the student section of the old Dornblaser. Is that where UM is headed/

AZGrizFan said:
putter said:
AZGrizFan said:

It’s a mystery to me why everyone doesn’t emulate a paragon like you. If everyone would only devote so much time and money to idiotic trivialities like sports, the world would be so much better. But won’t it ruin it for you when some guy takes a knee during the anthem and intoduces something of substance? I just don’t think you’ll be able to handle such an intrusion into your tiny world.

So AZ, I ask this question with no smack intended. Are you saying to be a true fan one has to have apathy? You can't be disappointed to pay $1900 for a 4-7 program? I don't think people are fully deserting the Griz, just disappointed at how the program had fallen. Fans of all types vote with their pocketbooks just like Main Hall took advantage of the growing popularity and success of Griz football and continued to raise prices.

putter said:

You hit the nail on the head.

My family has not and will not be attending any games this season. This on the field product is not worth paying for and it is not about the costs involved.

Coach said:
putter said:

You hit the nail on the head.

My family has not and will not be attending any games this season. This on the field product is not worth paying for and it is not about the costs involved.

Agree...Hopefully Haslam has a brain and he will see it too.

Back