• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

GRIZ vs PSU Almost Moved to Missoula

GRIZFAN20

Saw an interesting tweet today from Riley (believe Skyline also tweeted it) that the PSU players voted to move the 9/30 game against the Griz from the alternate stadium in Hillsboro to Washington-Griz. That ultimately did not happen, but I found it surprising that Portland would vote to have to travel to Montana & give up a "home" game rather than play at the high school stadium.

Hopefully someone who currently has access to Twitter can post the tweet about this.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/VoiceoftheGriz/status/910560943238557696[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/SkylineSportsMT/status/910560655782010880[/tweet]

Weird, players and coaches like to play in front of people.

Maybe we could get Weber, Cal. Davis, Sac St., SUU & Idaho St to play all of their home games against the Griz at WGS.

Wonder who shut it down? Hillsboro is way far away from PSU. maybe they thought that they are already "away" and the crowd will be mostly Montana fans. They might as well go all the way. That way they can play on a field with facilities that don't suck.

Think about it too, if there's a visitor guarantee in conference they'd probably make more coming here than hosting in Hillsboro

That same time period in which they found out the venue needing to changed; was the right about when the announcement of their Head Coach's misconduct. Awkward time to ask for any special requests of the athletic dept.

Bertram said:
That same time period in which they found out the venue needing to changed; was the right about when the announcement of their Head Coach's misconduct. Awkward time to ask for any special requests of the athletic dept.

I missed this. What was the misconduct?

Back in the day, Dartmouth used to play Harvard and Yale on the road every year. They were big games with big attendance, as the stadiums were in or close to Boston and NYC and were bigger stadiums. We loved it. Dartmouth played Yale in Hanover NH for the 2d time ever (first was 1898) in my senior year. Close to 40,000 at Harvard, and 50,000 or 60,000 at the Yale Bowl.

"The NCAA deems Franklin Field (33rd Street at South Street, Philadelphia, Web site), which has staged University of Pennsylvania sports since 1895, as its oldest football stadium. The facility is believed to have hosted the most football games by any one collegiate team.

Harvard Stadium (95 N. Harvard St., Allston, Mass., Web site), opened in 1903, is the oldest permanent concrete structure in the country. I believe it was the first stadium built for football. Dartmouth was the first opponent in the stadium. Dartmouth won.

The Yale Bowl (276 Derby Ave., West Haven, Conn., Web site) hosted its first tilt, against Harvard, on Nov. 21, 1914.

Together they represent three of the four oldest Division I stadiums in the country; Bobby Dodd Stadium at Georgia Tech opened in 1913."

grzz said:
Bertram said:

Texts back and forth with a married woman on staff at PSU. Broke rules by not disclosing the relationship

Bertram said:
grzz said:
Bertram said:

Texts back and forth with a married woman on staff at PSU. Broke rules by not disclosing the relationship

Geee???? I wonder why he didn't disclose that???????? :silly: :silly:

Bertram said:
grzz said:
Bertram said:

I believe there were some strong allegations as well. The wife is married to a former Portland State football player who was a large booster. Note the word "was". He came out swinging with some pretty tough words about the program and how they lost all of his support

HookedonGriz said:
Bertram said:
grzz said:
Bertram said:

I believe there were some strong allegations as well. The wife is married to a former Portland State football player who was a large booster. Note the word "was". He came out swinging with some pretty tough words about the program and how they lost all of his support

It was dramatic enough to make the Oregonian, which largely doesn't care about PSU football. No harassment, as it was consentual both ways. Just supper shitty to a booster and his family. More of a PSU policy thing. Just made for good reading because is was very Kardashian-esque.

BWahlberg said:
Think about it too, if there's a visitor guarantee in conference they'd probably make more coming here than hosting in Hillsboro

As a kid I remember Michigan at Northwestern being moved back to Ann Arbor as there was substantially more money at Michigan

Here's an idea:

If any Big Sky program struggles with attendance and finances and they are scheduled to host Montana at their venue, UM should offer to move the game to Missoula. They'd get to treat it like a home game, take home a lot more revenue, and get to play in front of a large crowd. Plus, more "home games" for Montana. A win-win! :D

Here's the full podcast, you can fast forward to the last segment to hear Barnum break it down:

Big Sky Breakdown: Big Sky coaches' teleconference, Week 4 - http://skylinesportsmt.com/big-sky-teleconference-week-4/

In this episode, Colter Nuanez of Skyline Sports is joined by all 13 Big Sky Conference chime in to talk about the opening of league play on the Big Sky’s weekly coaches’ teleconference

Jay Hill, Weber State — 5:00

Dan Hawkins, UC Davis — 11:14

Demario Warren, Southern Utah — 17:42

Jerome Souers, Northern Arizona — 21:57

Rob Phenicie, Idaho State — 30:15

Bubba Schweigert, North Dakota — 37:16

Earnest Collins Jr., Northern Colorado — 46:32

Jeff Choate, Montana State — 55:44

Bob Stitt, Montana — 1:03:52

Jody Sears, Sac State — 1:11:30

Aaron Best, Eastern Washington — 1:18:50

Tim Walsh, Cal Poly — 1:30:48

Bruce Barnum, Portland State — 1:37:18

Bwaaahahahahahaha..... That was hilsrious, Barnum's comments, "If we would have moved it to WAGRIZ, I was going to have a meeting with the crowd beforehand and instruct them on when to cheer, because technically it would have been a home game for me." LOL

Back