• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Once again, Montana preparing backup QB to start

Colter_Nuanez56

Once again, Montana preparing backup QB to start
http://skylinesportsmt.com/once-again-montana-preparing-backup-qb-to-start/

Is it just me or is this offense harder on QB's than normal? I know injuries are part of the game but the number of injured QB's in the last two years seems high.

Blgs Griz Fan said:
Is it just me or is this offense harder on QB's than normal? I know injuries are part of the game but the number of injured QB's in the last two years seems high.

Might not be the offense, but the offensive line. This was a freak injury that happened on a standard drop back. Offensive line got beat so Phillips stepped up to scramble and, unfortunately, got tackled from behind.

Blgs Griz Fan said:

No more or less than any other type of offense.

BDizzle said:
Blgs Griz Fan said:

Might not be the offense, but the offensive line. This was a freak injury that happened on a standard drop back. Offensive line got beat so Phillips stepped up to scramble and, unfortunately, got tackled from behind.

Yes, it looked like the pass protection broke down in several places on that play, and there must have been a blitz, but hasn't the first team o-line only given up one sack this season so far?

This quote is why I am so excited for Gresch.

“He has some stuff hidden in his brain that he’s been thinking about for a long time,” Stitt said on Monday. “There was one time Saturday that we’ve been trying to check it for four years and he goes in and checks it for a touchdown. Coming out on our own 1-yard line, most guys are just going to hand it off but he checks to a slant and go and then didn’t go for the first read, came off to the wheel rout (to Samori Toure for an 80-yard gain). That’s just not something that is normal for a freshman in his first game with serious reps. He’s different with his preparation. The confidence is there.

I think the biggest concern is if and when the freshmen mistakes come. And will he rise to the obvious potential and translate it to results. I believe he will, but only time will tell.

get'em_griz said:
Blgs Griz Fan said:

Wrong. :coffee:

get'em_griz said:
poorgriz said:
get'em_griz said:
Blgs Griz Fan said:

You're right.

We should run the spread option...that will protect our QB much more.......I remember quite a few QBs getting hurt from all different styles as griz players. It has NOTHING to do with the style of play.

poorgriz said:
get'em_griz said:
Blgs Griz Fan said:

Right, an offense like MSU's where the QB takes off and runs every other snap is much less hazardous.

In fact I just went back and looked at all the "glory days" of hauck offenses and almost every single year we had a backup with 6+ games played and over 100 passes attempted. Due to Injuries. It happens y'all

What happened to Reese was freakishly bad luck, that all. Lots of QBs play their entire career without a major injury, let alone something like that. Yes, injuries are a part of the game and lots of backups get a lot of playing time because of it. Contrast that to the DD days when the Griz had the game locked down early in the 3rd quarter and DD sat out a big chunk of many games -- and still accumulated amazing stats. The backups got a lot of quality playing time. I have often wondered what numbers he might have put up if he had played complete games?

grzz said:
This quote is why I am so excited for Gresch.

“He has some stuff hidden in his brain that he’s been thinking about for a long time,” Stitt said on Monday. “There was one time Saturday that we’ve been trying to check it for four years and he goes in and checks it for a touchdown. Coming out on our own 1-yard line, most guys are just going to hand it off but he checks to a slant and go and then didn’t go for the first read, came off to the wheel rout (to Samori Toure for an 80-yard gain). That’s just not something that is normal for a freshman in his first game with serious reps. He’s different with his preparation. The confidence is there.

I think the biggest concern is if and when the freshmen mistakes come. And will he rise to the obvious potential and translate it to results. I believe he will, but only time will tell.

Agree on both points. The checks comment made me think of Craig Ochs, who was given free reign and apparently did a super job most of the time.

Not sure why, don't care to speculate, although in two years two QB with broken legs and prior to that never seen a broken leg since Donavan, however I stand to be corrected.

Grisly Fan said:
What happened to Reese was freakishly bad luck, that all. Lots of QBs play their entire career without a major injury, let alone something like that. Yes, injuries are a part of the game and lots of backups get a lot of playing time because of it. Contrast that to the DD days when the Griz had the game locked down early in the 3rd quarter and DD sat out a big chunk of many games -- and still accumulated amazing stats. The backups got a lot of quality playing time. I have often wondered what numbers he might have put up if he had played complete games?

DD missed significant time his Junior year due to a very bad ankle sprain against Boise in Boise. Many think it kept us from the championship game that year. He was not the same the rest of the year. Wilberger saw significant time.

spsyk said:
Not sure why, don't care to speculate, although in two years two QB with broken legs and prior to that never seen a broken leg since Donavan, however I stand to be corrected.

I know why. It's because of Stitt's offense. Look at everything that has happened since Stitt took over: Missed the playoffs; broken legs; a loss to the Cats; Calhoun got tackled in the backfield; hurricanes in the Atlantic; earthquake in Mexico; my neighbor painted his house orange; our QBs have thrown multiple picks; bad smoke in MSO; and Stitt has allowed Kim Jong Un to run amok. It's the Stitt offense. Players would never get hurt if we had a different coach. Stinks.

CDAGRIZ said:
spsyk said:

I know why. It's because of Stitt's offense. Look at everything that has happened since Stitt took over: Missed the playoffs; broken legs; a loss to the Cats; Calhoun got tackled in the backfield; hurricanes in the Atlantic; earthquake in Mexico; my neighbor painted his house orange; our QBs have thrown multiple picks; bad smoke in MSO; and Stitt has allowed Kim Jong Un to run amok. It's the Stitt offense. Players would never get hurt if we had a different coach. Stinks.

Finally a poster who understands the game.

CDAGRIZ said:
spsyk said:

Don't forget fully sedated anal bleaching. This wasn't going on when Delaney was at the helm!

Ursa Major said:
CDAGRIZ said:
spsyk said:

Don't forget fully sedated anal bleaching. This wasn't going on when Delaney was at the helm!

Cam Chu has retained counsel (I'm not at liberty to say who), but I will say that a security camera, or "ChuCam", shows a very lucid Ursa requesting a very specific service and demanding a name brand rather than the well bleach. I will also say, regardless of the level of alleged sedation during said incident, Mick would not stand for it. It's a Stitt thing for sure.

Back