• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

EWU game is a must win for Stitt

Gametime

I think this week's game is most important game of Coach Stitt's Montana career. EWU is UM's 2nd biggest rival but more important EWU has controlled the Big Sky for the past couple of years. Additionally, it's the biggest home game of the year which is also a night game with a lot of eyes on it. A win will go a long way to get a lot of the Stitt haters off his back and give the UM administrators a reprieve about a decision to retain or fire him; while a loss will only rally the haters and calls for his job. A win will create a lot of positive momentum heading into the heart of conference play; a loss will only create more stress on the coaches and team, and they will likely play tight. It is incredibly sad that Phillips went down when he was just really getting it, but that is the nature of the game and the rules football coaches live and die by.

I for one would love nothing more to see Stitt succeed and carry on. But he still has a lot to show me and many others. A win this weekend will help a ton, a loss might just bring out the real estate signs. Go Griz!!!

Wow, so many people on this site think riding the coaching carousel is a good thing. I bet Nebraska, Notre Dame, and a few others wish they hadn't. It is ridiculous to think one game is to decide the future of the football program at UM....

"but more important EWU has controlled the Big Sky for the past couple of years. " - Gametime

Try since 2010, little more than a couple. This isn't a must-win. We will be fine.

If ewu happened to give us a beat down then that might be an issue. Don't think that will happen and I think we get a w on Saturday. Should be a great game.

Pretty sure last years Scat game was most important to date. Not only was it state, a playoff bid depended on it. Wouldn't be quite as much negativity towards Stitt had we won that and a playoff game or two...or at least made a decent showing.

There is no conference game that Stitt has an excuse to lose this season. With or without Phillips.

Any loss from here till the playoffs is a failure, in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Given what has transpired on the field the last 2 years, IMO, this could be a must win game for Semore keeping his job. Having head coaching stability is paramount in a program and the way the D has played gives me more concern. All signs point to Jensen being a kid that can get it done. Will he be similar to DD, who knows but it will take time for a freshman. If the D struggles then the fire gets turned up under Semore and can/will Stitt make a change?

Stitt is 4-8 on the road since he came here. I don't have a lot of confidence in his ability to win out on the road. The next games after EWU are at PSU and at ISU. If you don't think this is a must win, then you better hope things change in a hurry. The Griz finish their road conference play at Weber and at MSU, all their road games this year are potential losses, no gimmees this year. This is not just a big game against EWU, it's a must win.

It may not be must-win, but it is a very important game. It was a big game before Phillips went down, but with EWU seeming not to be as good as they have been, it would not be a good sign for the rest of the Griz season if EWU can't be beaten in Missoula (again in what seems like a down year). With Phillips, I was confident of a win.

On the other hand, a nice showing by the Griz and Jensen would be a very good sign for the rest of the season.

The playoff selection committee may be choosing between UM or EWU at the end of the year for the last Big Sky team in. Must win!

..yes it a must win..Stitt has to start showing the Griz nation he's got the goods..a coach either has it or
not..if he's got it will keep him if not next man up!

grizghost said:
..yes it a must win..Stitt has to start showing the Griz nation he's got the goods..a coach either has it or
not..if he's got it will keep him if not next man up!

đź‘Ť

An 8-3 record, a win over the Cats, and a playoff win should guarantee Stitt's extension. A couple of playoff wins at least would be better!

But let's say we lose to EWU (maybe Jensen is on a steep learning curve) and still go 8-3. I don't see why this game should be labeled "must win"...

Griz Man said:
An 8-3 record, a win over the Cats, and a playoff win should guarantee Stitt's extension. A couple of playoff wins at least would be better!

But let's say we lose to EWU (maybe Jensen is on a steep learning curve) and still go 8-3. I don't see why this game should be labeled "must win"...

Griz were 1-4 on the road last year. Doubt they are going 4-0 or 3-1 this year. Must win!

Back