• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Dateline: Carbondale, Home of the Salukis

IdaGriz01

I know, it’s not really connected with football, but Southern Illinois University does expect to fill its stadium today as a prime viewing spot for the total eclipse. As it happens, Carbondale is very close to the point of greatest duration for the eclipse (2:38 for them). As the STATS.com clips says, NASA has deployed a major effort there. The Weather Channel also has a team on-site. They were on a bit ago and you could see marching band members in the background and they are already starting to fill up.
http://www.fcs.football/cfb/story.asp?i=20170819101531822786204&ref=rec&tm=&src=FCS

According to a map I found, you will be able to view some pretty high-percentage partials in much of western and southern Montana (92.1% in Missoula, 95.1% in Bozeman, 97.5% in Dillon, etc.)

So … I thought I’d start a thread here where people actually look in, rather than a more “appropriate” Forum.

We’re in the path of totally here in Idaho Falls and the leading edge is supposed to start in about a half hour. “Once in a lifetime” … so we’ll be out there with our eclipse glasses at the ready. Anybody else planning a viewing party?

We are all going to die!!! End of the world is near!

(oh wait...it's eclipse, not apocalypse, never mind)

Boss announced that we're closing from 10:30 to 1 so that folks can go home and watch the eclipse :thumb:

Down to about 40% occluded here .. half hour or so to totality. Temperature has already dropped some.

As I walked by the TV, the Weather Channel had gone back to Carbondale, where the crowd (not as big as I expected, BTW) had just cheered the first edge nip there.

WOW! ... just ... WOW!

Those of you further east who still have a chance ... get some eclipse glasses and get outside. Even a partial should be worth it.

IdaGriz01 said:
WOW! ... just ... WOW!

Those of you further east who still have a chance ... get some eclipse glasses and get outside. Even a partial should be worth it.

Were still waiting in Dallas

BadlandsGrizFan said:
IdaGriz01 said:
WOW! ... just ... WOW!

Were still waiting in Dallas
Peak time 1:08 pm local ... according one of the eclipse trackers.

...griz game for griz fan...
...like eclipse for a nerd...
...same excitement level...

... :rockon: ...

IdaGriz01 said:
First distinct nibble here in IF. Can hardly wait for totality!

You had it good over there! Over here in Nampa, we had it pretty solid as well

What a bust. It didn't even get dusky at its peak @ 93.7% area. The 1979 eclipse (I was in school at Hellgate) was way better. It actually got dark briefly for that one.

ordigger said:
What a bust. It didn't even get dusky at its peak @ 93.7% area. The 1979 eclipse (I was in school at Hellgate) was way better. It actually got dark briefly for that one.

Yep. I was a Senior at Sentinel and we all went outside and viewed it through homemade viewing glasses....

ordigger said:

I was a senior at Hellgate too. Watched it during welding class. It was overcast but the clouds thinned out enough to see it through them. The street lamps came on.

IdahoGrizFan said:
ordigger said:
I was a senior at Hellgate too. Watched it during welding class. It was overcast but the clouds thinned out enough to see it through them. The street lamps came on.
That's too bad. I thought a partial that high would be pretty good. But, thinking back to us going in and out, the difference between "close" and actual totality was pretty dramatic. Right up until near the end you had shadows, and then nothing but totality ... and the stars came out (actually, mostly the planet Venus, but there were others).

There have been, and will be, plenty of replays on TV, of course. And we've seen those, but they do not really capture the moment you feel live. BTW: The stadium at Carbondale fought with cloud cover (you could hear booing like it was a ball call by the ref :p ), but they apparently did pretty well despite that. Nashville got screwed by the clouds, but the crowds were still pretty excited.

Latest posts

Back