• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

EWU scrimmage

Paytonlives

Staff member
Offense struggles....
12 series. 78 plays. 3 field goals and 4 interceptions.

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2017/aug/19/defense-dominates-eastern-washington-scrimmage/?amp-content=amp

Spokesman review..

It didn’t help that the offensive line was still a work in progress following the departure of starting left tackle Nick Ellison. Right tackle Chris Schlichting took most of the first-team reps on Saturday, but Best said the depth chart hasn’t been finalized.

Ellison left the team for "personal reasons" four days ago

I've been saying all along with their personal changes and coaching changes their brutal schedule could leave them 0-3 coming to Missoula

Nah. Ask any EWU fan....things are FIIIIIIIINNNNNNEEEEE.....not a beat missed. Backup WR's were better than the two currently in the NFL. New coach is just Baldwin reincarnated....no problemo....

And their gameplay is to rest the starters next scrimmage and play the younger guys. EWU is staring 0-4 in the face right now with how they have looked so far. 2-2 is a long way away. However we all know EWU has the talent to be 3-1 too, so if they somehow flip that switch then maybe they will be able to be the EWU they expected. We will see. I have a very very hard time thinking they are going to be a top tier BSC defense.

AZGrizFan said:
Nah. Ask any EWU fan....things are FIIIIIIIINNNNNNEEEEE.....not a beat missed. Backup WR's were better than the two currently in the NFL. New coach is just Baldwin reincarnated....no problemo....

It's funny but that is exactly their attitude. You don't graduate 3 different 1000 yard receivers who all end up in NFL camps and then not miss a beat with the new guys. It's impossible. Unless their new receivers are all 1000 yard receivers who are going to the NFL, then there will absolutely 100% be a drop off. It's not rocket science.

Yeah, we learned that last year. You just don't lose 3 starters and replace them right away. Granted, they may have some new talent there but, come on, Kupp is "all world". How do you not miss his route running and ball skills? I think Gabe and Co. will struggle this year.

HookedonGriz said:
AZGrizFan said:

It's funny but that is exactly their attitude. You don't graduate 3 different 1000 yard receivers who all end up in NFL camps and then not miss a beat with the new guys. It's impossible. Unless their new receivers are all 1000 yard receivers who are going to the NFL, then there will absolutely 100% be a drop off. It's not rocket science.

There will likely be drop off. With that said, a few years ago, the GRIZ sent 2 lb's to the NFL, and 1 LB to CFL from the same class. Their replacements played well. So let's not under estimate them. They also have proven to be a QB and WR factory the last decade. I feel, they will start slow. The GRIZ are fortunate to get them early in the schedule. We shall see.

AZGrizFan said:

It was until recently, may still be among some. From what I hear fall camp has been kind of dysfunctional so far... I saw them last spring. They looked like they were not missing a beat. From the sounds of it though the coach tried to implement a new offensive scheme coming into fall camp and it threw a monkey wrench into everything.

mtgrizrule said:
HookedonGriz said:
AZGrizFan said:

There will likely be drop off. With that said, a few years ago, the GRIZ sent 2 lb's to the NFL, and 1 LB to CFL from the same class. Their replacements played well. So let's not under estimate them. They also have proven to be a QB and WR factory the last decade. I feel, they will start slow. The GRIZ are fortunate to get them early in the schedule. We shall see.

Good post. No doubt they don't have another cooper kupp on the roster this season but I wouldn't bet against them having another Bourne/Kaufman/ shaq hill level player waiting in the ranks. I'm sure there's plenty of talent on that team, we'll just have to see what it equates to as a team with the new coaching staff.

George Ferguson said:
Only think I'm hearing is the usual "backup is better than the starter". Some fans are thinking Barrier will supplant Gage lol

That's how gage got the job. Don't see that happening though.

NONE of those guys have been in the spotlight.They've ALL had the luxury of watching Kupp get ALL the attention and the got to clean up with single coverage....that ain't gonna be the case now....I guess time will tell, but this report doesn't surprise me one bit. I've been saying it since Baldwin departed....he got while the getting was good...

It would seem both EWU and MSU have such overly high powered defenses that their high powered offenses were shut down.

HookedonGriz said:
AZGrizFan said:

Eastern lost Kaufman, Edwards, and Herd after 2012, all were all american, 1000 yard receivers, the very next year eastern played in the semi's and lost on a last minute TD to go to the chipper....things will be just fine at EWU

marceagfan5 said:
HookedonGriz said:
AZGrizFan said:

Eastern lost Kaufman, Edwards, and Herd after 2012, all were all american, 1000 yard receivers, the very next year eastern played in the semi's and lost on a last minute TD to go to the chipper....things will be just fine at EWU

Do you truly believe with all of your heart and soul that there will be no drop off in wide receiver offensive production this year? If you say yes you are claiming there are three NFL caliber 1000 yard receivers waiting in the wings

HookedonGriz said:
marceagfan5 said:
HookedonGriz said:
AZGrizFan said:

Do you truly believe with all of your heart and soul that there will be no drop off in wide receiver offensive production this year? If you say yes you are claiming there are three NFL caliber 1000 yard receivers waiting in the wings
The way they've recruited over the past five years, I wouldn't doubt they have some NFL talent waiting in the wings... To me the bigger problem is coaching staff turnover, the loss of BB is going to kill the eagles this year.

*Also as any man would know, FINE is a woman's term that means everything is NOT FINE.

Back