• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

2nd scrimmage wrap-up

BWahlberg

DONOR
Happy Saturday Griz Nation, the 2nd and final (public) scrimmage is in the books and it’s looking like the Griz are settling in on offense and some questions have been answered. It was a beautiful morning, not a lot of smoke today, sun shining, and mid-70’s. There was a typical sized crowd for a scrimmage there, 500 – 600 people and at the end of the day there were some emphatic cheers and good excitement for that this team can do.

Today the true 1st team played more than 1 collective series and in all of their possessions they got into the red zone, scored two TDs, and went 1-2 on fieldgoals. The 1-B offense with Phillips still at the helm had two 3 and outs but also had two good drives and scored a TD and had a made fieldgoal.

The big takeaways

- Reese Phillips is QB1. He ran away with it today. His first series he was 3 for 4 converting 3rd downs, and on the one they didn’t convert they got it on 4th down. Phillips ran well, threw better, and had full command of the offense. The mix of running plays, augmented with Calhoun at RB for a better stretch, resulted in steady drives that the defense couldn’t fully shut down. Phillips and Curran must be telepathically connected, they were dialed in together with just 1 exception late. Phillips most impressive TD was probably a deep shot to Simis. Off his back heel, with pressure he dropped a perfect pass to Simis in the back of the endzone. Phillips was able to run the hurry up when needed, and call out protection changes to blitzes.

- This was maybe some of the best pass protection I’ve seen in years. With Ralston mostly holding down 1st team RT the 1st team offensive line did it’s job well. Yes there were some sacks, it wasn’t perfect, but Phillips was given time to make reads and scan the field. Furthermore when not blitzed the OL multiple times would wall-off the D-line allowing Phillips to take off for good running gains. I think our 1st team OL is set Reese/Villanueva/Sprunk/Luke/Ralston.

- The running game, with help from mobile QBs, is more diverse and getting better results. I’d have to check the stats but I think a handful of 3rd downs were converted on running plays. Some great use of option plays, a shovel pass (!), and some option-pitches. However the running game up the middle is still lacking. Credit the D-line as they appear to be a stout run blocking group, however I’m going to guess if you take out the long QB runs, the YPC for our running backs overall isn’t that stellar. It’s the biggest area of still needed improvement from the offense IMO.

- I have no idea who the backup QB is. Neither Jensen nor Hill put themselves in a solid backup spot I don’t think. Hill still showed inconsistency, you could again hear Stitt’s frustration with “pace” from him, and I’d bet on film study he took off running more than he should have. Jensen had another “play it safe” scrimmage but was plagued with some drops and the 2nd team OL not helping with the running game much.

- Josh Buss is a freakin’ animal. 3 TFLs in 2 series, twice on Jerry Louie McGee. The guy once again was a disruptive force whenever the ball was near. Beyond him James Banks, Dante Olson, and especially Shayne Cochran had very nice days. Cochran had a few TFLs himself and a near pick.

- It was good to see a little more for Randy Rodriguez today. I’ve been waiting to see a 3rd option at DE that can sub in for Favoroso and Schye as needed rise up, and I think Randy is going to be the guy. He had a few good stops in the running game and some pressure plays on the QB.

- Eric Williams time into his craft this off-season is paying off. As I was told and saw online, Williams went to some specific camps over the summer. Today he showed off what he can do. He smashed two booming 50+ yard punts (also had a 35 yard wobbler). Then later had two rugby-style punts. One was fair caught at the, the other bounced at the 2 and was touched down at the 4. Good kickoffs too. This guy went from a spring camp walk on (I think) at WR to a really steady option at punter.

- 2nd team OL shows it’s inexperience at times for sure but it’s one of the better 2nd team OLs I’ve seen in a looooong time. In years past the 2nd team OL would get wrecked by the 2nd team defense and the QBs would have a hell of a time getting plays off. This group of younger guys which I think goes Beaver/Hart/Meyer/Scott/Jackson is the very near future as we have 4 seniors on this year’s OL, and I’m thinking we’re in good shape for the years ahead.

- Running back #2… Tre Favors seemed to help his case today, Green had another decent day. Lee didn’t have as many touches, and neither did McCombs. I’m a little unsure where we are at this spot.

- Just a few catches given up by Ryan McKinley. His side of the field didn’t get beat deep, didn’t allow a TD, and just gave up a handful of shorter/medium-ish come back grabs. Cowans side was the more picked on side, but this is great experience for him. Sanders coming back should cement that corner position. What’ll be interesting is the nickel DB. Right now I’m seeing more of Epperly there, wonder if Cowans will move in there or if Ep will keep it?

- One turnover today, a ball Hill probably shouldn’t have thrown. Dareon Nash covering Brennan Corbin, had safety help so he stayed inside and picked the comeback throw.

- Where Monday’s scrimmage it looked pretty vanilla on offense and defense, we saw a lot more use of different sets, using motion, pulling a guard to block (yep), and blitz packages. The coaching staff is rolling it out and the offense clicked well today. Defense didn’t get the pressure I’d assume they wanted, but what was interesting was the zone defense didn’t give up deep shots… but did allow 6 to 8 yard catches a little too much, and that’s what cost them eventually.

----------------

Biggest concerns coming out of this scrimmage (in no specific order)

- Two missed fielgoals, both were over 40 yards and had the distance. Purdy was wide left, Semenza hit the right upright

- Limited QB pressure from the 4 man pass rush

- Not a lot of running back traction running “inbetween the tackles”

- Too many short/medium routes for easy catches

- Still a few costly drops by WRs, much better than Monday but I recall at least 2 were drive killers, both by 2nd team WRs.

- More false starts today, I think a few O-line and one on the RB. New snap counts are still fooling starters on offense, need to be cleaned up.

-------------------

What appears to be developing is two rotations of skill players for Phillips. I tweeted this, the 1-A set is the guys we’ve really grown to know. Curran, JLM, Horner, Calhoun, Calhoun. The 1-B set looks ot be Corbin/Toure, McLaughlin, Simis, Akem, Favors/Green/Lee. Akem will rotate with 1-A for Curran, and it appears Toure holds the edge on Corbin and lines up all over the field, he just looks a little too “raw” at times with a false start or a drop. Today on a 3rd conversion he stutter stepped and the timing of the route lead to a 3 and out. Corbin doesn’t seem to have Toure’s speed, but seems a little bit more confident in his play, however sometimes drops get him too.

It was a fun morning, I’m excited for what these Griz can do. Have a good weekend everyone!

Go Griz!

Everyone should follow the link and check Rainey's videos, he captured a lot of great stuff:

https://twitter.com/ShaunRainey

A few good ones (and there's quite a few more)

[tweet]https://twitter.com/ShaunRainey/status/898920668544212992[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/ShaunRainey/status/898921228609531904[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/ShaunRainey/status/898922338455965697[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/ShaunRainey/status/898926113602256896[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/ShaunRainey/status/898926393374801922[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/ShaunRainey/status/898927861024739329[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/ShaunRainey/status/898928175673090048[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/ShaunRainey/status/898929591158534146[/tweet]

Glad to hear the offense is starting to find themselves. A name I haven't heard much of lately is cy sirmon, how has he looked out there?

Thanks Brint. I'm curious if the kicking woes continue, is Stitt more inclined to move back to his 4th down go for it philosophy - especially if he has more confidence in his qb and offensive line.

ordigger said:
Thanks Brint. I'm curious if the kicking woes continue, is Stitt more inclined to move back to his 4th down go for it philosophy - especially if he has more confidence in his qb and offensive line.
I'm going to venture a guess between the 50 and the defenses 30 if it's anywhere 5 yards or short we'll go for it

BWahlberg said:
Phillips and Curran must be telepathically connected, they were dialed in together with just 1 exception late.

They spend a lot of time together, being that they are roommates.

Thanks for the great report!

How dare this offense improve and get my hopes up! I was totally prepared for a 5 or 6 win season! Good to see Reece play so well, keep it up Griz! :thumb:

On a whim we went over this morning then visited some friends. Looking good today.
Phillips sealed #1 in my book, good decisions throws a good ball and stayed cool under pressure. That touchdown to Simis was clutch.
Run blocking on the inside is lacking. Oline did a great job at Pass Pro but run blocking needs work.

Would of liked to see more pressure from the D. Overall a more diverse scheme on D but there was some missed opportunities where pressure could of broke some things up. Secondary is much improved over last year, JOSH BUSS! He is gonna go down as one of the Griz all time greats by time he graduates.

In person it was clear there is some real talent at every position. The run game needs to come into focus though. If they stay one dimensional there are some smart DC out there that will peg them by seasons end. Overall I am excited. Team looks like a complete team, you could tell that they really get along well and were having fun. I have been in the camp of heavy doubt about this season. Still have some but think this looks like the best team Stitt has put together. I am cautiously optimistic for this season. 7-4 or 8-3 seems likely.

What an improvement from last week, which BTW was better at this stage of the game than previous years........Couple more weeks until practice game to open the season so I can't wait to see what that team looks like!!!!

Nick Puckett covered the scrimmage for us today from Missoula.

Phillips named starter, offense rolls in final Griz scrimmage
http://skylinesportsmt.com/phillips-named-starter-offense-rolls-in-scrimmage/

Back