• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

QB competition

They get a chance every single day. Phillips is the leader, but it's not over, and neither Jensen or Hill would tell you they're not getting a fair shake. Go watch practice and see for yourself.

So are the quarterbacks so mediocre that we are still looking for someone to take charge and have that "it" factor or are they that talented Stitt and company can't get one to excel above the others.
How good are these guys?

nzone said:
So are the quarterbacks so mediocre that we are still looking for someone to take charge and have that "it" factor or are they that talented Stitt and company can't get one to excel above the others.
How good are these guys?
I think Phillips and Hill could start. That's the issue. We also still have 2.5 weeks to game time.

I think it will take until actual games to make a final determination on "the" starter. Phillips knows the offense the best, but seems to be a turnover machine. Hill is by far the most athletic, but has the least amount of time with the offense. Jensen is right behind Hill in athleticism, but is still young and inconsistent. IMO, Hill has the "gamer" attitude that I want in a QB. I don't care about technique or how it "looks" or what class you are. Who will step up in the pocket and take one on the chin to complete a pass(then get up and talk shit to the defensive player that hit him)? Who will scramble and make a play when the play breaks down? Who will play with the attitude that they are the best player on the field and lead the team? Again, IMO, that is Hill right now and I believe Jensen is right behind him and will be that player in years to come.

I believe 100% Stitt will give Reese the start in the first game. He has all but said so and all indications of reps and his interviews are showing this. It is Reese's job to lose at this point.

However, I don't believe Stitt will be completely hitched to just one QB (finally) and will go "next man up" mode the minute the starter is not meeting expectations. So if Reese dominates Valparaiso and has a good showing at Washington, then he's the guy. If not, I can see Jensen or Hill getting the ball quickly and holding on to it as long as they produce. It's actually a good problem to have.

Grizzly96 said:
I think it will take until actual games to make a final determination on "the" starter. Phillips knows the offense the best, but seems to be a turnover machine. Hill by far the most athletic, but the least amount of time with the offense. Jensen is right behind Hill in athleticism, but is still young and inconsistent. IMO, Hill has the "gamer" attitude that I want in a QB. I don't care about technique or how it "looks" or what class you are. Who will step up in the pocket and take one on the chin to complete a pass(then get up and talk shit to the defensive player that hit him)? Who will scramble and make a play when the play breaks down? Who will play with the attitude that they are the best player on the field and lead the team? Again, IMO, that is Hill right now and I believe Jensen is right behind him and will be that player in years to come.
Well said :thumb:

Grizzly96 said:
I think it will take until actual games to make a final determination on "the" starter. Phillips knows the offense the best, but seems to be a turnover machine. Hill is by far the most athletic, but has the least amount of time with the offense. Jensen is right behind Hill in athleticism, but is still young and inconsistent. IMO, Hill has the "gamer" attitude that I want in a QB. I don't care about technique or how it "looks" or what class you are. Who will step up in the pocket and take one on the chin to complete a pass(then get up and talk shit to the defensive player that hit him)? Who will scramble and make a play when the play breaks down? Who will play with the attitude that they are the best player on the field and lead the team? Again, IMO, that is Hill right now and I believe Jensen is right behind him and will be that player in years to come.

this is well said.....i am one of the fans and booster that wants to see jensen and hill get quality game time reps just like phillips.....stitt imo settles into who is his man before all the facts are in...just my opinion....i do know when a play goes wrong hill can make things happen vs. the other two...and we have not had that since j.j. .... go griz !

krammer said:
Grizzly96 said:

this is well said.....i am one of the fans and booster that wants to see jensen and hill get quality game time reps just like phillips.....stitt imo settles into who is his man before all the facts are in...just my opinion....i do know when a play goes wrong hill can make things happen vs. the other two...and we have not had that since j.j. .... go griz !

I'm not trying to stick up for Phillips here, but one I'd say is this- All three quarterbacks actually have pretty good wheels, I would agree that Hill is the most athletic, probably not by much. In the last scrimmage it was the first time I saw Phillips with some of the 2's. In my opinion he was better with the 2's than the other two. As fans, we only get a small glimpse of what the coaches see, we don't set and study film, etc.

1972 said:
krammer said:
Grizzly96 said:

I'm not trying to stick up for Phillips here, but one I'd say is this- All three quarterbacks actually have pretty good wheels, I would agree that Hill is the most athletic, probably not by much. In the last scrimmage it was the first time I saw Phillips with some of the 2's. In my opinion he was better with the 2's than the other two. As fans, we only get a small glimpse of what the coaches see, we don't set and study film, etc.

good points and fair....

1972 said:
krammer said:
Grizzly96 said:

I also have a feeling that he will not keep QB1 in if he has 3 TO in the first half. I'd guess that he's learned a bit, the players are all solid and give the team a bit of a different way to win.

krammer said:
Grizzly96 said:

Phillips can 100% make plays with his feet but he does not break the pocket as early as hill does. Hill relies on his feet too much and Stitt gets on him for that. Phillips is overall the most rounded QB we have in the system. Hill should be great by end of year or next year but this year is phillips to lose. He is going to take more risks but that is also what everyone on here begged for last year, so we can't have it both ways

George Ferguson said:
They get a chance every single day. Phillips is the leader, but it's not over, and neither Jensen or Hill would tell you they're not getting a fair shake. Go watch practice and see for yourself.

i respect your insight but i don't really know what jensen or hill would say in the "dead of night", sort of speak and neither do you .....i can not watch the practices (closed and distance),,,however i did watch the spring game in person,,,, so give me some space to be a fan,,,i do know what i saw that day. regarding leadership, that is something that must be earned and is not something given......it may take a couple more weeks to know who has earned that title.

krammer said:
George Ferguson said:

i respect your insight but i don't really know what jensen or hill would say in the "dead of night", sort of speak and neither do you .....i can not watch the practices (closed and distance),,,however i did watch the spring game in person,,,, so give me some space to be a fan,,,i do know what i saw that day. regarding leadership, that is something that must be earned and is not something given......it may take a couple more weeks to know who has earned that title.

I know you haven't as you mentioned but if you talked to the WRs or even just listen to their interviews. Reese is the leader. Reese is "the guy" to them and he allows them go make plays and the WRs love that. I have 0 doubt that Reese will start. HIll I think is a really good player and not a drop off if Reese goes down, but Reese has the leg up and it would take a real bad week for him to lose the job. Hill will be a great QB next year and Jensen...is gonna be in the same spot hill is next year. very talented but someone who is just as talented and more experienced in front of him.

mtgrizfankb said:
krammer said:
George Ferguson said:

I know you haven't as you mentioned but if you talked to the WRs or even just listen to their interviews. Reese is the leader. Reese is "the guy" to them and he allows them go make plays and the WRs love that. I have 0 doubt that Reese will start. HIll I think is a really good player and not a drop off if Reese goes down, but Reese has the leg up and it would take a real bad week for him to lose the job. Hill will be a great QB next year and Jensen...is gonna be in the same spot hill is next year. very talented but someone who is just as talented and more experienced in front of him.

What are you basing this on? Jensen is ahead of Hill on the depth chart RIGHT NOW.

I asked this in another thread. What is this certainty with Hill and dismissiveness of Jensen as the third guy based on? Because Hill is older? The spring game was one moment. I have caught several practices and the scrimmage this fall, as well as all scrimmages and many practices last spring. I just want to know if missed something that has made several posters so certain that the only two in the conversation are Phillips and Hill, because nothing I have seen would indicated those are the two in the two-man QB race.

Back