• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Last Chance U

blackfootipa

DONOR
Just curious what thoughts are. I have been watching Last Chance U on Netflix with East Mississippi State Juco. These guys get transfers from the top programs in the nation and when you watch, you see how athletic, fast and physical some of these guys are.

Hypothetical question is, how would an FCS team like the Griz do against them? Would it look like the game against Mississippi Valley St. last year? A top JUCO team in the south with all of their SEC drop down transfers has to be a lot better then a lower tier FCS school right or no way?

blackfootipa said:
Just curious what thoughts are. I have been watching Last Chance U on Netflix with East Mississippi State Juco. These guys get transfers from the top programs in the nation and when you watch, you see how athletic, fast and physical some of these guys are.

Hypothetical question is, how would an FCS team like the Griz do against them? Would it look like the game against Mississippi Valley St. last year? A top JUCO team in the south with all of their SEC drop down transfers has to be a lot better then a lower tier FCS school right or no way?

Realize that they only show the highlights to every game (Just like every hurdl tape looks amazing)...And only about 2-3 kids are at that level, the rest are lucky to be getting D2 or NAIA offers. They don't have 11 D1 level kids on either side of the ball...That said, it is a fun show to watch.

SACCAT66 said:
blackfootipa said:

Realize that they only show the highlights to every game (Just like every hurdl tape looks amazing)...And only about 2-3 kids are at that level, the rest are lucky to be getting D2 or NAIA offers. They don't have 11 D1 level kids on either side of the ball...That said, it is a fun show to watch.

Yeah, that is very true.

blackfootipa said:

I have watched a few episodes and I will say that it does not depict a true JUCO experience. Most JUCO's do not have all the fancy equipment and such that they do and the facilities are much worse. JUCO life and the struggle is real.....

As far as the talent question goes....absolutely they are as, if not more talented than a lot of FCS teams. What they lack compared to a team like the Griz is discipline, not talent. You have a group of players (JUCO) still trying to get a scholarship vs players that either have one or playing for a team they want to. What ends up happening is each player tries to get noticed and the team becomes secondary. That is why you see big swings in records from year to year. Coaches also change at JUCO quite often so consistency is lost there as well. Also, some, but not all by any means (plenty of great kids with good grades go to JUCO, take our recent JC transfers for example), are at a JUCO because they lacked the grades to qualify or dropped down due to some reason not football related.

You can see the talent all over the field ( I have watched many JUCO games), but the discipline is where I see the biggest difference.

Grizzly96 said:
blackfootipa said:

What they lack compared to a team like the Griz is discipline, not talent.
I would not hold the current Griz as the model for discipline.

Its actually not true. As everyone knows there is 22 starters in football. Example; Arizona Western:Last years team had over 30 players get FBS offers(Some have another year). 23 players signed. All 23 that signed had FBS offers. A few of them opted for FCS over the FBS for various reasons including, program, playing time, position and coaches.

Defense(The ones I can remember)
Their Starting front 4
Devin Webster(DT)- Signed with Northern Illinois 42 Tackles, 2 sacks, 9.5 TFL
Craig Evans (DT)- signed with Oregon State(Back up signed with Ark. State)58 Tackles, 5.5 sacks,18.5TFL
Azur Kamara(DE) has one more year and has offers from everyone 45 Tackles, 8 sacks, 13.5 TFL
Chris Favoroso(DE) signed with Montana(His backup signed with Iowa State) 65 Tackles, 10.5 sack,22 TFL
Secondary
Matthew Boateng- Signed with Fresno State
Kisean Nixon signed with South Carolina
Luca Vartic- signed with Middle tennessee
LB
Patrick Macon- signed with Oklahoma State
The other two have FBS offers but have another year there.

Point is there are a few JUCO teams that would give some FBS teams all they could handle.

Grizzly96 said:
blackfootipa said:

I have watched a few episodes and I will say that it does not depict a true JUCO experience. Most JUCO's do not have all the fancy equipment and such that they do and the facilities are much worse. JUCO life and the struggle is real.....

As far as the talent question goes....absolutely they are as, if not more talented than a lot of FCS teams. What they lack compared to a team like the Griz is discipline, not talent. You have a group of players (JUCO) still trying to get a scholarship vs players that either have one or playing for a team they want to. What ends up happening is each player tries to get noticed and the team becomes secondary. That is why you see big swings in records from year to year. Coaches also change at JUCO quite often so consistency is lost there as well. Also, some, but not all by any means (plenty of great kids with good grades go to JUCO, take our recent JC transfers for example), are at a JUCO because they lacked the grades to qualify or dropped down due to some reason not football related.

You can see the talent all over the field ( I have watched many JUCO games), but the discipline is where I see the biggest difference.
It was apparently typing my prior post as you were writing yours and didnt see it until I posted.
For the most part you are spot on.

I would add thing. Its all on the line for these kids. The window is small and the risk is big.

SACCAT66 said:
How many of them text while driving...We are missing the the main issue.

Salient point!

Also, how many of them respond to an invitation to "Come on over here so I can whup your ass?"

Most of these guys on the team have the talent to play higher than they are....what they lack is any social skills and taking direction or criticism.

They paint the picture like they had one issue at a previous school..it was a mistake they made once...but thats really not it. A majority of them were not going to make it no matter where they go because they have major societal and social issues. they were gonna fail wherever they went.

kemajic said:
Grizzly96 said:
blackfootipa said:

What they lack compared to a team like the Griz is discipline, not talent.
I would not hold the current Griz as the model for discipline.

Discipline on the field towards a common team goal, such as winning a NC, or the common goal on offense to score/ defense to get a stop, not just what you do as a player.. With the personal goal of a scholarship, individual goals trump team goals a lot of times in JUCO's.

I think the current Griz have discipline. I have spoken to many players and they have the right mind set and want to show it on the field as much as we want them to.

If you are referring to off the field discipline, again, I believe the current Griz have as much if not more than any other college team filled with 18-22 year olds.

I can only imagine the "discipline" issues we would have if we took a team of 35-45 year olds that frequent this site................ :roll:

Grizzly96 said:
I think the current Griz have discipline. I have spoken to many players and they have the right mind set and want to show it on the field as much as we want them to.

If you are referring to off the field discipline, again, I believe the current Griz have as much if not more than any other college team filled with 18-22 year olds.
What is your experience with "any other collegiate team?" How many? What sports? In what capacity?

UMGriz75 said:
Grizzly96 said:

What is your experience with "any other collegiate team?" How many? What sports? In what capacity?

You're right.

UMGriz75 said:
Grizzly96 said:

I played college football is my experience with other collegiate teams. I originally was going to go the JUCO route due to not taking care of my grades when I should have, but I was able to get my GPA to where it needed to be to qualify. A few of my teammates and many I played against in HS also played college football and I have kept in contact through the years and often helped at training camps and clinics, learning as much from other coaches as I was teaching the players.

While I have not coached the way you have, as I have previously stated, I have been around the game and have learned from many great coaches through the years. The greatest lesson I took from them was the discipline aspect of the game.

Grizzly96 said:
While I have not coached the way you have, as I have previously stated, I have been around the game and have learned from many great coaches through the years. The greatest lesson I took from them was the discipline aspect of the game.
Well, OK, that's fair, but those were some mighty broad claims.

Ursa Major said:
SACCAT66 said:

Salient point!

Also, how many of them respond to an invitation to "Come on over here so I can whup your ass?"

How many have been invited over to PR's lake cabin, and how many participated in the Olympics that 75 invented?

UMGriz75 said:
Grizzly96 said:

Hes on the Olympics committee

BadlandsGrizFan said:
UMGriz75 said:
Grizzly96 said:

Hes on the Olympics committee
Odd that he left that part out. Or are you doing your usual, making stuff up? See below.

EverettGriz said:
Ursa Major said:
SACCAT66 said:

Salient point!

How many have been invited over to PR's lake cabin, and how many participated in the Olympics that 75 invented?

:lol: :lol: :clap:

Back