• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

406 MT Sports (Missoulian) interviews Stitt

BWahlberg

DONOR
http://406mtsports.com/college/big-sky-conference/university-of-montana/relationships-goals-mindset-atop-stitt-s-priority-list-for-rd/article_c15064fe-6507-5896-a8b7-6feb9e36d0e0.html

Stitt knows there’s a lot on the line, as his three-year contract expires on Jan. 31, 2018.

“We were hired to do a job and build a program and instill the things that we feel strongly about that I feel that you have to have to have a championship football team,” Stitt said Tuesday at the Big Sky Football Kickoff. “We've made a lot of progress and we've only been there two years. To think that you can build a program in two years, it just doesn't happen. It's usually a four, five year process. We're going to stay the course and do the things that we believe.”

Stitt said as of right now going into fall camp, the team is pretty much where spring ball left off.

One upside of the plethora of bodies is that Stitt says there’s talent among them. For the first time since he took the reins, he says there’s plenty of depth — at least two to three deep — at every position.

"We deserve to be 6th,” Stitt said in a Facebook Live interview with Montana’s play-by-play broadcaster Riley Corcoran. “The way we played the second half of the season, we don't deserve to be any higher than that. But it is motivation for our coaches and our players to go out and play every single game, if it’s the first or the last, the exact same way: with a lot of intensity and a lot of passion.

“Hopefully the final poll is a little different than the preseason.”

Two goals, other than finishing higher than sixth place in the conference, Stitt has for his team are to better deal with adversity and to play the same way each week and not to talk about big games.

“We didn’t deal with (adversity) very well,” Stitt said of last year’s Griz team. “It’s human nature sometimes to when adversity strikes is to blame someone else. … I want our guys to stick together. You have adversity all the time off the field, on the field, in games. When it happens, you stick together and you try to right the ship.”

During spring ball, Stitt said the coaches tried manufacturing adverse situations and gauging the players’ reactions and body language. The coaches tried correcting negative body language using film review.

BWahlberg said:
http://406mtsports.com/college/big-sky-conference/university-of-montana/relationships-goals-mindset-atop-stitt-s-priority-list-for-rd/article_c15064fe-6507-5896-a8b7-6feb9e36d0e0.html

Stitt knows there’s a lot on the line, as his three-year contract expires on Jan. 31, 2018.

“We were hired to do a job and build a program and instill the things that we feel strongly about that I feel that you have to have to have a championship football team,” Stitt said Tuesday at the Big Sky Football Kickoff. “We've made a lot of progress and we've only been there two years. To think that you can build a program in two years, it just doesn't happen. It's usually a four, five year process. We're going to stay the course and do the things that we believe.”

Stitt said as of right now going into fall camp, the team is pretty much where spring ball left off.

One upside of the plethora of bodies is that Stitt says there’s talent among them. For the first time since he took the reins, he says there’s plenty of depth — at least two to three deep — at every position.

"We deserve to be 6th,” Stitt said in a Facebook Live interview with Montana’s play-by-play broadcaster Riley Corcoran. “The way we played the second half of the season, we don't deserve to be any higher than that. But it is motivation for our coaches and our players to go out and play every single game, if it’s the first or the last, the exact same way: with a lot of intensity and a lot of passion.

Two goals, other than finishing higher than sixth place in the conference, Stitt has for his team are to better deal with adversity and to play the same way each week and not to talk about big games.

“We didn’t deal with (adversity) very well,” Stitt said of last year’s Griz team. “It’s human nature sometimes to when adversity strikes is to blame someone else. … I want our guys to stick together. You have adversity all the time off the field, on the field, in games. When it happens, you stick together and you try to right the ship.”

During spring ball, Stitt said the coaches tried manufacturing adverse situations and gauging the players’ reactions and body language. The coaches tried correcting negative body language using film review.

Oh shit. SOMEONE here is gonna have a FIELD DAY with that quote.... :lol:

AZGrizFan said:
BWahlberg said:

Wait for it!!

Copper Griz said:
AZGrizFan said:
BWahlberg said:

Wait for it!!

Will he take the bait?

"We were hired to do a job and build a program..."

I'm not sure I agree with this completely...the Program was/is built. It needed a rehab for sure.

If they finish 6th...this staff is done.

Let's hope for a hell of a season and extensions all around...

SoldierGriz said:

I'm not sure I agree with this completely...the Program was/is built. It needed a rehab for sure.

:clap:

BWahlberg said:

What the hell, did we bring in some feel good people from California and correct how they walk ? I really don't know what to say.......

fanofzoo said:
BWahlberg said:

What the hell, did we bring in some feel good people from California and correct how they walk ? I really don't know what to say.......

Pete Carroll relies heavily on teaching about positive mindset and the mental aspects of the game. When you let negativity set in you begin to not let the body perform at its peak level. It's a really small, but important thing to work on.

Kudos to Stitt for addressing this as it can be extended well outside the field as well.

Sounds to me like he doesn't have much confidence for this year and is trying to make his argument already why he should get an extension. Finish sixth he won't get it.

RayWill said:
Sounds to me like he doesn't have much confidence for this year and is trying to make his argument already why he should get an extension. Finish sixth he won't get it.

I don't know where you got that from. Sounds more like basic "I'm liking what I see, but we still have fall camp to go through before the season even begins," style coachspeak. Mentioning progress and certain steps being made, but can't say anything concrete.

SoldierGriz said:

Soldier, I focused on the exact same quote. Was going to post it, until I scrolled more and found your post.

RayWill said:
He all but said that the expectation was to beat 6th. Sure that's not saying much, but I don't think it sounds like he's anticipating a poor year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brewskis said:
RayWill said:
He all but said that the expectation was to beat 6th. Sure that's not saying much, but I don't think it sounds like he's anticipating a poor year.

So do you think he will be around in 2018?

The_Real_Chief said:
brewskis said:
RayWill said:

So do you think he will be around in 2018?
Yes.

I'm curious as to how the coaches went about manipulating situations to create adversity. Sounds interesting. Pretty similar to social psychological experimentation. I wonder if the coaches tapped into the minds of UM's social psych department staff.

hm.grwn.grizfan said:
I'm curious as to how the coaches went about manipulating situations to create adversity. Sounds interesting. Pretty similar to social psychological experimentation. I wonder if the coaches tapped into the minds of UM's social psych department staff.

Special forces do the same stuff. I've found an image from recent Griz training sessions.

Drown+Prooffin+Bob+2.jpg

BadlandsGrizFan said:
hm.grwn.grizfan said:

Special forces do the same stuff. I've found an image from recent Griz training sessions.

Drown+Prooffin+Bob+2.jpg

[emoji23] had a good laugh.

Stop_HammerTime69 said:
RayWill said:

I don't know where you got that from. Sounds more like basic "I'm liking what I see, but we still have fall camp to go through before the season even begins," style coach speak. Mentioning progress and certain steps being made, but can't say anything concrete.

The whole we were hired to build a program and it takes at least 5 years comment etc. The rest, yes, was just coach speak. I hope I am wrong and they tear it up this fall. Nothing would please me more. Just way too many unknowns to instill much confidence here.

RayWill said:
Stop_HammerTime69 said:
RayWill said:

I don't know where you got that from. Sounds more like basic "I'm liking what I see, but we still have fall camp to go through before the season even begins," style coach speak. Mentioning progress and certain steps being made, but can't say anything concrete.

The whole we were hired to build a program and it takes at least 5 years comment etc. The rest, yes, was just coach speak. I hope I am wrong and they tear it up this fall. Nothing would please me more. Just way too many unknowns to instill much confidence here.

It does take that long, though. Granted, Montana shouldn't take as long as other FCS schools, but that's about as long as that takes. Every good program had a stretch where someone had to come in, spend a few years laying groundwork, and then they find themselves among the elite. Nebraska, Oregon (pre-Helfrich, and Stitt is not our Helfrich), Florida State, Florida, Washington, Wisconsin, all of them. The NCAA and Pflugrad kinda took out all the work that Read & Co had put together years before. Stitt was absolutely hired to build a program.

But I absolutely want to see them tear it up this fall. 8-3, wins over the cats and North Dakota, playoffs, not a lot football related would make me happier.

Stop_HammerTime69 said:
RayWill said:
Stop_HammerTime69 said:
RayWill said:

It does take that long, though. Granted, Montana shouldn't take as long as other FCS schools, but that's about as long as that takes. Every good program had a stretch where someone had to come in, spend a few years laying groundwork, and then they find themselves among the elite. Nebraska, Oregon (pre-Helfrich, and Stitt is not our Helfrich), Florida State, Florida, Washington, Wisconsin, all of them. The NCAA and Pflugrad kinda took out all the work that Read & Co had put together years before. Stitt was absolutely hired to build a program.

But I absolutely want to see them tear it up this fall. 8-3, wins over the cats and North Dakota, playoffs, not a lot football related would make me happier.

Granted yes it could take time to build up the program. Should expect to see improvement from year to year. I hope we see that this year. Less than a playoff appearance won't cut it though. The program had fallen a fair bit but that would show a pattern of regression not progression from where it was even.

Back