• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Griz fall camp depth chart is out

BWahlberg

DONOR
Obviously pre-fall here, I'd assume we'll see some changes!

[tweet]https://twitter.com/Amie_Just/status/887412686182428673[/tweet]

So the position battles are:

Phillips - Hill - Jensen at QB

Ralston - Jackson at RT

Smith - Mitchell - O'Donoghue at LS

Reading that depth chart it really makes it very apparent how young this team is. Specially in places like offensive line..should be a great future, and they seem bigger than the last few years.

Also linebacker depth and obviously wide receiver we look so young.

Thats why I argue that yes Stitt needs to have a good appearance this year but the real talent laden and dominant years of Stitts teams seem to be in 2-3 years. This team is YOUNG.

16 of the presumed starters are either JR's or SR's....not sure how that equates to "young".

AZGrizFan said:
16 of the presumed starters are either JR's or SR's....not sure how that equates to "young".

I think really the depth is "young". The presumed upside of those that are young, I think is also in the inference. That's my guess.

AZDoc said:
AZGrizFan said:

I think really the depth is "young". The presumed upside of those that are young, I think is also in the inference. That's my guess.

And 80% of offensive line starters (and we all know how important that area is) are SENIORS.

At the tops of the depth chart

2/6 seniors @ offensive skill positions

4/5 seniors on the OL

2/4 seniors on the DL

2/3 seniors as LBs

2/4 seniors @ defensive skill positions

In total, 12/22 top positions are seniors. 6 of those top spots are occupied by sophomores. A lot can change, and there are a few freshmen waiting to come in. But this doesn't seem like a roster that's too young, but still doesn't quite have a lot of experience.

Probably my biggest takeaway from this depth chart is it looks like the defense is going to come out of mostly 4-3 packages. That and our O-Line, led by Cooper Sprunk's Swanson 'Stache, will probably be our best performing position group.

I love that the Griz got Favoroso as a JC transfer for three left to play instead of two. You don't see that often, but I've heard that had Favoroso stayed for another year of JC, he probably wouldn't have been an FCS pick anymore, that he would have gone to an FBS. He is that talented.

George Ferguson said:
I love that the Griz got Favoroso as a JC transfer for three left to play instead of two. You don't see that often, but I've heard that had Favoroso stayed for another year of JC, he probably wouldn't have been an FCS pick anymore, that he would have gone to an FBS. He is that talented.

Do you think he switches to the "rush-end" spot when Schye graduates?

VimSince03 said:
George Ferguson said:

Do you think he switches to the "rush-end" spot when Schye graduates?

I would think that's a good possibility, however they have a few rush-end guys that are pretty young that could also grab that role in the years ahead. Lots of potential in Maua and Rosling IMO.

I know a lot can possibly change through fall camp but in all honesty, there's only really one position battle going into fall camp but it's a biggie. I know Reese has a slight edge due to being a Sr but Hill really could make a push in Aug.

As far as the tackle battle goes, I see Jackson really making a push for that spot. Sure Ralston's a Sr but he's essentially played tackle only last year, and not the whole year if I remember correctly. Thayne's been playing O line his whole life I'm guessing and was a very talented recruit. Maybe not by Sept 2, but probably by Oct I see Thayne starting.

As far as the long snapper is concerned, this is a Stitt run team and he don't care about special teams. Jokes aside though, this one is wide open. The two Fr were brought in specifically as long snappers but Gage probably has the edge. I know one thing, these three better be practicing in game type situations everyday as much as possible.

AZGrizFan said:

You are so right, BadlandsGrizFan. There is a crap-load of young players in the two-deep who will see plenty of PT.

IntuitiveGriz said:
AZGrizFan said:

You are so right, BadlandsGrizFan. There is a crap-load of young players in the two-deep who will see plenty of PT.

When I said this team is young I wasnt just considering the starters....If you look at who got playing time at the end of the year...I think it will actually be obvious how young the depth on this team is.

BadlandsGrizFan said:
IntuitiveGriz said:
AZGrizFan said:

When I said this team is young I wasnt just considering the starters....If you look at who got playing time at the end of the year...I think it will actually be obvious how young the depth on this team is.

That's the depth though. At the very least, we have a decent core of senior starters, who should be able to give the young guys some breathing room when they go in.

Every WR position other than JLM should be a battle too. Way too many drops last year and this spring for guys to feel comfortable. Curran especially has to clean up the drops.

Easily catchable balls must be caught in this offense. Stitt has to hold these guys accountable. With QB unknown, WR play must take a giant leap from 2016.

Real excited to see Favoroso play. Hear great things about him. Sounds like he may be a great one. How MT landed him with all the BCS hawks that were circling is interesting.

Back