• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

High School Football Talk

HowardRoss280

5-14-17 The first discussion on this thread will be about Billings Senior, it only seems right, doesn't it? So my question I present to all of you is; how long will the dominance last? Billings Senior has been the undisputed team to beat lately, despite only winning one State Title, yes I know there has been more dominate teams in the past, but is there something different with Billings Senior? They are looking strong once again coming into the 2017 season, being lead by what some say is the undisputed best player in the state, Gabe Sulser. The questions I give to you is, how long will Seniors reign last? Is it over as soon as their great 2018 class graduates or have they implemented a system that will continue to the similarities of CMR, Capital High. Or is this just a rare group of kids who had extraordinary talent, and Senior will come and go as a contender? Also, who stands in their way, and are they even the favorites at this point? With Dick gone, who will be the one to bomb passes to Sulser, and does this apparent "lack" of QB decrease their chances even with players like Sulser, Askleson, and Allred?

5-21-17 Capital High is a well established program in the high school football world of Montana. And throughout those years when Capital High was becoming a "powerhouse" in football, there has been some very talented players to pass through. A few names that pop into my head: Greg Carothers, Matt Miller, Bobby Daly, Caleb Kidder, the list goes on. And that seems to be the theme for this year as well, with the talents of Seth Schneider, Conor Quick, Carson Shuman and Trevor Welnel leading the way. Sadly, its not the names of studs that come to mind when Capital High is brought up in a conversation, but of the mishaps in recent news. A DUI given to the head coach, causing lots of unwanted attention being drawn to the program. Let me make this very clear, Coach Mihelish is a good guy, hard worker, and knows the game of football very well, but driving under the influence of alcohol is not acceptable, and the example being set is a bad one. With all the talent on that roster coming into next season, it is disappointing to see the face of that program do something like that.
Capital High has been on the rise since that ugly 1-9 season(the only win coming from a Helgate program that was holding on by a thread), and has had two straight semi-final runs, both being ended by the Broncs of Senior. And as I look closer at those two rebound seasons, I see rosters full of talent, college football players plentiful. Then I look at the rankings, and their defensive play those two seasons is INSANE. Great. Hats off to that coaching staff for their hard work in preparing those kids. Defensive coaching staff. Offensive coaching staff, take a seat. Capital Highs offense the past two seasons, embarrassing. And embarrassing is saying it nicely. As I was watching film of the 2016 season, countless times I saw the defense carrying the team, and not just carrying the team, but winning single handedly, without any offensive help. If that offense of 2016 could have stayed on the field for longer than 3 plays, I completely believe they could have won a State Title. No doubt in my mind. But the offense was a joke. It doesn't stop there, 2017 season, Capital High vs Helena High, capital wins 3-0. 3 to 0! And some might say it was good game, hard fought, defensive battle. Not exactly, and as I watched film from that game, I was embarrassed for the play caller of capital high. And might I add, the 3 points came off a Helena high turnover inside their own 20 yard line. Capital couldn't score starting inside the redzone. Now, like I said earlier, those rosters were loaded with talent, hell some names didn't even go on to play college football but could have easily made a NAIA team. The let down came from the coaching staff, mostly the play caller. And partly from the head coach for not telling that play caller to get the hell out. It saddens me to see such a talented group of kids come up short because of some wanna-be football genius. I have decided to not share the name of said play caller, but its easy to find. You guys can look it up if you feel like it.
Now, as I rewatch Capital film from last year, and focus on the juniors who will be seniors, I see a group of talented kids, and a team who could easily take state. But the play calling and coach leadership still looms, and I hate that I have a feeling that it will drag these kids away from winning. I look at programs like Kalispell Glacier, Billing Senior, Helena High, Bozeman and I see a group of coaches who are getting their players ready to go, and even Kalispell Flathead, Missoula Sentinel, Great Falls High, CMR, Missoula Big Sky who are building their programs up and preparing to win again. Not all Capital coaches are bad, this isn't what I'm saying. I just see other programs that may not have as much talent as the bruins this year, yet they are looking better off at this point.

6-11-17 I switched up the topic because I felt that there was something a little better we could discuss: a very, very early prediction of some teams records. I currently don't have all the schedules right now so I will put them up as I find them, but I was thinking we could start with AA this week and work our way to Class C and just predict this years turn out. Along with some kids who have already committed I see a few others that could be playing in the Big Sky Conference, and they should have a big impact on their teams this year. So AA this week, and I will be posting schedules as well!

HowardRoss280 said:
5-14-17 The first discussion on this thread will be about Billings Senior, it only seems right, doesn't it? So my question I present to all of you is; how long will the dominance last? Billings Senior has been the undisputed team to beat lately, despite only winning one State Title, yes I know there has been more dominate teams in the past, but is there something different with Billings Senior? They are looking strong once again coming into the 2017 season, being lead by what some say is the undisputed best player in the state, Gabe Sulser. The questions I give to you is, how long will Seniors reign last? Is it over as soon as their great 2018 class graduates or have they implemented a system that will continue to the similarities of CMR, Capital High. Or is this just a rare group of kids who had extraordinary talent, and Senior will come and go as a contender? Also, who stands in their way, and are they even the favorites at this point? With Dick gone, who will be the one to bomb passes to Sulser, and does this apparent "lack" of QB decrease their chances even with players like Sulser, Askleson, and Allred?

5-21-17 Capital High is a well established program in the high school football world of Montana. And throughout those years when Capital High was becoming a "powerhouse" in football, there has been some very talented players to pass through. A few names that pop into my head: Greg Carothers, Matt Miller, Bobby Daly, Caleb Kidder, the list goes on. And that seems to be the theme for this year as well, with the talents of Seth Schneider, Conor Quick, Carson Shuman and Trevor Welnel leading the way. Sadly, its not the names of studs that come to mind when Capital High is brought up in a conversation, but of the mishaps in recent news. A DUI given to the head coach, causing lots of unwanted attention being drawn to the program. Let me make this very clear, Coach Mihelish is a good guy, hard worker, and knows the game of football very well, but driving under the influence of alcohol is not acceptable, and the example being set is a bad one. With all the talent on that roster coming into next season, it is disappointing to see the face of that program do something like that.
Capital High has been on the rise since that ugly 1-9 season(the only win coming from a Helgate program that was holding on by a thread), and has had two straight semi-final runs, both being ended by the Broncs of Senior. And as I look closer at those two rebound seasons, I see rosters full of talent, college football players plentiful. Then I look at the rankings, and their defensive play those two seasons is INSANE. Great. Hats off to that coaching staff for their hard work in preparing those kids. Defensive coaching staff. Offensive coaching staff, take a seat. Capital Highs offense the past two seasons, embarrassing. And embarrassing is saying it nicely. As I was watching film of the 2016 season, countless times I saw the defense carrying the team, and not just carrying the team, but winning single handedly, without any offensive help. If that offense of 2016 could have stayed on the field for longer than 3 plays, I completely believe they could have won a State Title. No doubt in my mind. But the offense was a joke. It doesn't stop there, 2017 season, Capital High vs Helena High, capital wins 3-0. 3 to 0! And some might say it was good game, hard fought, defensive battle. Not exactly, and as I watched film from that game, I was embarrassed for the play caller of capital high. And might I add, the 3 points came off a Helena high turnover inside their own 20 yard line. Capital couldn't score starting inside the redzone. Now, like I said earlier, those rosters were loaded with talent, hell some names didn't even go on to play college football but could have easily made a NAIA team. The let down came from the coaching staff, mostly the play caller. And partly from the head coach for not telling that play caller to get the hell out. It saddens me to see such a talented group of kids come up short because of some wanna-be football genius. I have decided to not share the name of said play caller, but its easy to find. You guys can look it up if you feel like it.
Now, as I rewatch Capital film from last year, and focus on the juniors who will be seniors, I see a group of talented kids, and a team who could easily take state. But the play calling and coach leadership still looms, and I hate that I have a feeling that it will drag these kids away from winning. I look at programs like Kalispell Glacier, Billing Senior, Helena High, Bozeman and I see a group of coaches who are getting their players ready to go, and even Kalispell Flathead, Missoula Sentinel, Great Falls High, CMR, Missoula Big Sky who are building their programs up and preparing to win again. Not all Capital coaches are bad, this isn't what I'm saying. I just see other programs that may not have as much talent as the bruins this year, yet they are looking better off at this point.

Next week I drive into the lower classes of football, and ask the question: does Class B and lower produce as much talent as Class AA, A? And is it quantity over quality, or the other way around?

Kinda weird that you're an adult and like high school football.

BigSkyBears said:
HowardRoss280 said:

Next week I drive into the lower classes of football, and ask the question: does Class B and lower produce as much talent as Class AA, A? And is it quantity over quality, or the other way around?

Liking football is weird?

HowardRoss280 said:
BigSkyBears said:
HowardRoss280 said:

Almost as weird as posting on another school's board in the middle of the offseason.

Htowngriz said:
HowardRoss280 said:
BigSkyBears said:
HowardRoss280 said:

Almost as weird as posting on another school's board in the middle of the offseason.

There is no such thing as an off-season

Htowngriz said:
HowardRoss280 said:
Htowngriz said:
HowardRoss280 said:

Haha I was just saying there is no such thing as an off-season. Plus when has liking high school football ever been weird?
There is no such thing as an off-season

Well my comment wasn't directed at you. Unless you're a cat fan or something.
Haha no I was just saying there was no such thing as an off-season. Plus when has liking high school football ever been weird?

I'm confused, is Howard Ross Vim's:

A) Copycat?
B) Evil Twin?
C) Sworn Enemy?
D) Jealous Lover?

[/quote]

[/quote]

Seams like that is the same opinion Northern Colorado's coaches have had over the past 10 years?

[/quote]

Seams like that is the same opinion Northern Colorado's coaches have had over the past 10 years?
[/quote]

You're being kind only going back 10 years. Nothing weird about liking high school football or high school any other sport. What is weird is someone being so weird and awkward themselves that they think it's weird.

Ahhh......don't we already have a thread for this?

http://www.egriz.com/grizboard/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=76113

Ursa Major said:

Well the Montana recruits is focused on what is going on with recruits and the whole ranking of the kids and that type of thing. This thread is more of talk on what is going on in the state with the programs

Can anyone provide us an update on the mighty bucs of Allatuna High, led by the venerable Coach Varner? I'm extremely interested in how many Pauldings they face this year.

HowardRoss280 said:
Ursa Major said:

Well the Montana recruits is focused on what is going on with recruits and the whole ranking of the kids and that type of thing. This thread is more of talk on what is going on in the state with the programs

Howard,

Perhaps there is a board that is focused upon that somewhere. This one is not it. I know you're new here but traditionally Peyton runs a Montana high school recruiting thread that is supported by Vim and others to discuss recruitment of these kids to Division 1 programs. This is not the Montana high school football discussion board. We focus on FCS, Big Sky and of course Griz football. I'm sure with your knowledge of high school athletes you'll be able to join in the existing high school recruiting thread.

EverettGriz said:
Can anyone provide us an update on the mighty bucs of Allatuna High, led by the venerable Coach Varner? I'm extremely interested in how many Pauldings they face this year.

:lol: You can't count that high without removing your pants! Viva La Pauldings!

Ursa Major said:
HowardRoss280 said:
Ursa Major said:

Howard,

Perhaps there is a board that is focused upon that somewhere. This one is not it. I know you're new here but traditionally Peyton runs a Montana high school recruiting thread that is supported by Vim and others to discuss recruitment of these kids to Division 1 programs. This is not the Montana high school football discussion board. We focus on FCS, Big Sky and of course Griz football. I'm sure with your knowledge of high school athletes you'll be able to join in the existing high school recruiting thread.

Yes I have seen the Montana Recruits board, and i have been commenting on it. Yes I am new on egriz and I don't want to try and insert myself into some big role. I am just a high school scout, so I do try and put input on the recruiting thread. I created this thread to talk about what's going on in the high school football world, which I see as pretty important and directly correlated with the griz and bobcat football. If you disagree that's fine, I completely understand, if not, then that's great! Also, I don't have a relationship with Peyton, I hope to gain one, but vim and I have helped each other on the Montana recruiting thread over on bobcat nation for a while now.

HowardRoss280 said:
Ursa Major said:
HowardRoss280 said:
Ursa Major said:

Howard,

Yes I have seen the Montana Recruits board, and i have been commenting on it. Yes I am new on egriz and I don't want to try and insert myself into some big role. I am just a high school scout, so I do try and put input on the recruiting thread. I created this thread to talk about what's going on in the high school football world, which I see as pretty important and directly correlated with the griz and bobcat football. If you disagree that's fine, I completely understand, if not, then that's great! Also, I don't have a relationship with Peyton, I hope to gain one, but vim and I have helped each other on the Montana recruiting thread over on bobcat nation for a while now.

Give him a break guys!! At least he's trying to talk a little football. He's not on here bashing the Griz, everyone who has posted on here, started out at some point.

1972 said:
HowardRoss280 said:
Ursa Major said:
HowardRoss280 said:

Howard,

Give him a break guys!! At least he's trying to talk a little football. He's not on here bashing the Griz, everyone who has posted on here, started out at some point.

Thanks, and I feel I can contribute to the Montana recruits page, I am a scouter for high school football and I do contribute with vim on info and scouting reports about Montana high school football.

1972 said:
HowardRoss280 said:
Ursa Major said:
HowardRoss280 said:

Howard,

I hear you '72! The board has been a bit poisonous this off season. That said, I just don't care to read if Huntley Project's defensive coach is thinking of switching from the 4-3 to the 3-4 for 2017. I have an enormous drinking problem so it is hard enough for me to just focus on the Griz.

On Egriz this thread is an answer in search of a question.

Perhaps it could join the High School Basketball and the Allatoona Buc's thread over on the Griz Athletics and Beyond Forum?

Back