• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Spring Camp wrap up & scrimmage thoughts

BWahlberg

DONOR
As predicted and somewhat deserved the usually nervous twitter posts and egriz thoughts start flowing out. Thoughts of a losing 2017 record, coaches being fired, certain position groups being worse than ever, certain coaches not doing things that posters think they should, and so on and so forth.

Take today for what it was worth. The defense played very well save a few breakdowns by the 2nd team safeties that lead to big plays and the 1st team offense had a bad showing overall.

Now before you guys go freaking out claiming a losing season is on the horizon I'd counter with the fact that the 1st team offense didn't have a bad spring. They had a bad scrimmage today. They had good scrimmages too, yet some fans will only cling to the last thing they saw.

Some thoughts from today:

- Reese Phillips had a bad damn day. Sure Josh Sandry probably knew those sideline routes were coming but what's not to say other teams won't game-prep for that too? Phillips was slow in his delivery there or didn't recognize what was coming. They were bad throws that lead to even worse results.

- Gresch Jensen was choppy, a better day than his 2nd scrimmage but he hasn't passed anyone in depth yet I don't think. Gresch did have the 1 TD drive for the 1st team and maybe the throw of the day, back peddling and into the wind 50 yards to Jerry.

- Caleb Hill showed what he can bring to the table but it was against the 2s (and technically the 3s in some regards). I see posters asking why he didn't get 1st team reps today, I think the coaches know he's still new enough and building enough that he's not there for 1st team reps. This fall though it'll be interesting if he can try to break through.

- The D-line, despite not even having Davidson and Shaw, is damn good. People are quick to bash the OL for today but some can't seem to wrap their head around the possibility that this D-line is pretty deep on the inside even without two main contributors and has 1 great edge pass rusher in Schye and two good/upcoming comes in Favoroso and Rodriguez.

- The 2nd team linebackers killed it this spring. Lewis, Cochran, and Fa'atuise were playing out of their mind great and it carried over again today. I think all three had TFLs and maybe even a few sacks spread across the three of them. Add in that these guys will be backing up and subbing in for our expected starting three this year and LB is looking like it's pretty loaded.

- The young corners have greatly eased my concerns about the depth. Yeah they're raw but Nash has two picks in three scrimmages, Egbo turned it up today and Cowans had multiple breakups as well. These guys are freak athletes. Yeah they're young and make mistakes but I think they have the physical tools to be impact players in the future. CB is light on experience behind it's two starters which will lead to growing pains but it isn't light on talent.

- The O-line appeared to take a step back after a promising 2nd scrimmage. David Reese is big missing piece here. When you don't have your senior 3 year starter LT out there it makes a difference. He'll be good to go for the fall and that'll have some impact. Will it fix everything? Nope. Beaver as the backup LT shows flashes of great stuff, IMO. Great footwork overall, I'm told he usually grades out pretty well. Run blocking needs to improve. Ralston made more errors today that he had in the last two scrimmages but had good moments too. For this group it's really about consistency IMO. I think on the interior we've got center set with Sprunk and then Meyer. Guard has Villanueva, Luke, and Hart who all show the right stuff for being guys that could start and play well. Tackle has Beaver, Jackson, and Scott battling for backups. With them it's up and down, but it's something regularly seen with RS-Frosh guys. I'm not sure what some fans expect, that every RS-frosh should play as good as a 4 or 5 year senior? It's not great right now and the time to improve is very short, I hope it gets there sooner than later.

- Josh Sandry and Justin Strong are going to torment more QBs than just Reese Phillips lol, however they sure were major forces on defense today.

- Rey Green's patience as a runner is something we've not seen much for Griz RBs who usually attack fast. Green once again had a few plays where he would hesitate and wait for gaps to develop to turn for sure losses into some sort of good gain.

- Loved to see Akem play more physical today. Toure a nice TD. The guys last year who were totally inexperienced players in Calhoun, Curran, JLM, Horner, Bingham, and Simis now look and play like smart and grizzled vets. Add in guys like Akem, Toure, McLaughlin, and then some that are missing this spring like Lyons and you've built up a good WR corps. However as possibly suggested I've not seen anything this spring to suggest that of the 4 returning starters one is going to actually lose his starting job.

- More hand-wringing over Tim Semenza but keep in mind the 2nd team offense (and thus 2nd team ST) did most of the PAT/FG work. Tim's missed PAT rolled over a missed fieldgoal, I could be wrong but I think that's the first PAT he missed this spring. Purdy remains the #1 kicker and didn't miss any PATs this whole spring I don't think. Purdy (the presumed backup punter) had 1 bad punt and 1 ok punt and the rest were good. Williams the main punter had a few good ones and 1 iffy one. Punting is fine.

- A thing not commented on here at all, did you guys notice some of what the defense showed? Sims a pick, he dropped into coverage on a zone blitz. Some cover-2 and cover-3 again that was shown in the other scrimmages too. The athleticism of the corners allows them to make a play on the ball and greatly reduce getting beat deep. Hill had two TD passes both in the same spot where the 2nd/3rd string safety was out of position. Other than that bigger plays were greatly limited

-----------

Look Griz nation, it's spring ball. They're setting the base offense up, testing toughness, and working to see who can step up under pressure and who will fold. The offense and defense aren't game-planning against each other (told to me by 2 coaches) and are running sets that both sides know are coming. That's not an excuse for the lack of a showing by the 1st team offense today but it gives possible hint to what probably contributed to today.

In my opinion:

- This was the best run Stitt spring camp start to finish with a balance of toughness, competition, team building, and offense/defense installation.

- While QB remains murky I think we're in good (not great) shape for a solid starter. Summer drills and early fall will set the pace. However the 3 guys on this roster have all shown they can be effective in this offense.

- The interior D-line and LBs are at least 2 deep with guys that will play this year, and not just on ST.

- O-line needs to take the biggest strides this off-season

- WRs will not be nearly as mistake prone in 2017 as they were in 2016 and that'll benefit the offense as a whole.

- the running game greatly needs Calhoun back and Favors/Green to sink in to roles to share carries

- Sanders/McKinley/Egbo/Nash/Cowans could be the most athletically gifted CB crew we've ever seen. Lack of depth experience will be felt though, but the future is bright.

- I'm not worried about the kicking game at the moment

- I'm greatly encouraged by how the defensive coaches have worked in some great stuff in the three scrimmages we saw this spring.

- Team unity appears to be at an all time high under Stitt. Guys helping other guys up, supporting each other, helping correct each other. Even if it's offense against defense guys. This is a great progression of team cohesiveness and that could be an awesome help to this crew.

-----------

So lets give congrats to the defense for ending this spring scrimmage as the shining stars. Most Griz fans were freaking out about the defense after the 2016 season and today suggests that these guys are playing with a mind set to correct that. The 1 defense was without Buss, Strahm, Banks, Davidson, and Shaw today. Add these dudes back in and look out.

Great reps for the youth on the team this season. Guys most of you hadn't heard or seen much before like Burton, Fousch, McKenzie, and Maua had some flashes in a few scrimmages. Other young guys that presumably won't be big impact guys this year are showing the future is bright too in 2018 and beyond.

Going to post a fan's wild-ass guess of a 2-deep tomorrow (hopefully) and will give more thoughts on the spring. It was a good spring camp, GO GRIZ!

How did you guys make it out of the spring with injuries?

And I've seen you bring up team unity a few times. Was team unity not good under BH or MD?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Allezchat said:

And I've seen you bring up team unity a few times. Was team unity not good under BH or MD?

Looks like Le Texier will miss 2017 with a torn ACL. That's it though I believe.

For the second part it depends on who you ask, but from what you read in the club forums it sounds like the transitions between Stitt-Delaney and Gregorak-Semore left a fair amount of division within the players. Made it harder for players to gel. I'm really hoping that it's a topic that we won't need to revisit for a while ha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think when you are watching a scrimmage like this as a fan you are expecting an even contest SOMEWHAT. One would expect to watch the offense shine at times and the defense to shine at other times. However, this is NOT what happened. The defense dominated the offense so completely that it has to leave fans wondering what the hell is going on with Stitt's offense? This dominance was executed without ANY of the starting linebackers I'm sorry that's a big deal. Their projected starter at quarterback threw four picks with two being returned for touchdowns. One of them was picked off by a fricken defensive tackle! This offense makes defenses look like the 85 Bears!

grizaremoregooder said:
I think when you are watching a scrimmage like this as a fan you are expecting an even contest SOMEWHAT. One would expect to watch the offense shine at times and the defense to shine at other times. However, this is NOT what happened. The defense dominated the offense so completely that it has to leave fans wondering what the hell is going on with Stitt's offense? This dominance was executed without ANY of the starting linebackers I'm sorry that's a big deal. Their projected starter at quarterback threw four picks with two being returned for touchdowns. One of them was picked off by a fricken defensive tackle! This offense makes defenses look like the 85 Bears!
Thought Germer was supposed to be our "fixer" of poor Oline play?

Again, the Stitt Offense is in question? Can it be successful? Will there be enough wrinkles added in finally that can confuse opposing defenses? O-Line, is it going to be better? No run game kills the Stitt play book. Can new corners cover the edges in a run game when the DE's are always rushing the passer?
Actually, this year, I don't believe has as many questions that need answered as in the last two?
The 1st game is going to answer a lot of questions...

I don't think you'll get a fair evaluation of what you'll see in 2017 until they play UW. You'll see Stitt's coaching & talent acquisition skills on display versus a team that on paper, should beat them handily. If they really are "united" & the problems of last season behind them, you'll be able to see it there. Win or lose, if they play hard & don't give up, it will be a good season regardless of the outcome. If not...

What is apparent is that they need to get the offensive line woes fixed. Am beginning to think it's scheme as much or more than talent. Neither of their bridge abutments played yesterday and he couldn't manage any ground game. With a couple of seasons of film and experience, the BSC coordinators are going to be even tougher on big games' offense if he can't get things blocked effectively.

Lack of a running game will get them beat, defenses continuing to ignore the run, covering & selling out to pressure the QB will get them beat, Griz defense on the field too long - regardless if they're all that and a bag of chips, will get them beat. Get busy looking for help if you sincerely believe the scheme works Bob, you may not have it ready to play or even in-house this season. Not having this fixed is going to get you beat.

Very good summary and perspective. I believe the 1st team D left JLM wide open deep in the middle on the Jensen's long completion. So Shaw didn't play? Think Steele may have hurt his knee (or ham string). Only scrimmage injury I noticed. I didn't even realize he was on the team, but thought he was playing fairly well.

brewskis said:
Allezchat said:

Looks like Le Texier will miss 2017 with a torn ACL. That's it though I believe.

For the second part it depends on who you ask, but from what you read in the club forums it sounds like the transitions between Stitt-Delaney and Gregorak-Semore left a fair amount of division within the players. Made it harder for players to gel. I'm really hoping that it's a topic that we won't need to revisit for a while ha

A few guys dropped off from practice with injuries that didn't appear too big but maybe precautionary rests for them. Davidson, Shaw, McCombs, Corbin, Reese, Lyons, Delaney. Le Texier's is known and currently the worst that we're aware of. Cy Steele's injury didn't look too good yesterday either.

BWahlberg said:
brewskis said:
Allezchat said:

A few guys dropped off from practice with injuries that didn't appear too big but maybe precautionary rests for them. Davidson, Shaw, McCombs, Corbin, Reese, Lyons, Delaney. Le Texier's is known and currently the worst that we're aware of. Cy Steele's injury didn't look too good yesterday either.
No Shaw or Davidson yesterday? Yikes haha doesn't help our offenses case when the best two interior DL were on the sidelines.

grizpsych said:
You know it's bad when BWahlberg starts out trying to sooth peoples' negative thoughts.

Or, you know how some segment of the fan base, or internet fan base, is so up and down or out to lunch, that he has to help lead them in the right direction.

bgbigdog said:
I don't think you'll get a fair evaluation of what you'll see in 2017 until they play UW.

This game will show nothing as it will be a slaughter. I believe there is a chance UW has more sacks than Montana has 1st downs.

brewskis said:
BWahlberg said:
brewskis said:
Allezchat said:

No Shaw or Davidson yesterday? Yikes haha doesn't help our offenses case when the best two interior DL were on the sidelines.

1st and 3rd but yeah (I'd put Sims over Shaw for now)

Every year the O-line is going to be "better than ever" strength, maturity and a new sense of being. I won't say the acronym because people don't talk about it anymore like hopes fading away. Too much cerebral and not enough of "me beat you" .

* disclaimer: Woody Hayes and Jim Brown fan

PlayerRep said:
Very good summary and perspective. I believe the 1st team D left JLM wide open deep in the middle on the Jensen's long completion. So Shaw didn't play? Think Steele may have hurt his knee (or ham string). Only scrimmage injury I noticed. I didn't even realize he was on the team, but thought he was playing fairly well.

I agree, very good summary/perspective, BWahl.

And you are correct, PR, it was the 1st team D that left JLM wide-open on Jensen's sole long completion.

Steele was inured and helped off the field in Butte, like you mentioned. He played really well, had his named called a bunch, in the previous scrimmage in Missoula.

PlayerRep said:
grizpsych said:
You know it's bad when BWahlberg starts out trying to sooth peoples' negative thoughts.

Or, you know how some segment of the fan base, or internet fan base, is so up and down or out to lunch, that he has to help lead them in the right direction.

:lol: :thumb:

HelenaHandBasket said:
bgbigdog said:
I don't think you'll get a fair evaluation of what you'll see in 2017 until they play UW.

This game will show nothing as it will be a slaughter. I believe there is a chance UW has more sacks than Montana has 1st downs.
I will throw $100 US on this. Got some cash? If you want to be the man, you gotta beat the man.

Back