• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Scrimmage: 2016 offense vs 2017 offense

Gametime

For anyone who attended the scrimmage, did the offense look the same? Better? Or worse? than last year's offense.

In my opinion, the QB position likely isn't as good as last year at this point. The 3 guys we have are talented and all do good things, but the expectation that a QB with no meaningful game time reps is going to right away be a star is probably wishful thinking. Hopefully one of those guys separates himself and is able to use those first three games this season to get comfortable and consistently produce when we enter conference play.

I don't think you can make a good assessment of if the OL has/hasn't improved from last year based on one scrimmage. The defensive front really took it to them today. The RBs also struggled blocking. That could be because the defense is just better, but it is difficult to tell if they are better than last year too.

Also, much of our best talent is still very young and raw and it takes most OL a few years to develop into reliably productive players.

Truthfully, these scrimmages aren't a very good indicator of how good the offense is or how good the defense is for that matter. It is one limited game with limited play calling on both sides of the ball.

Sam A. Blitz said:
In my opinion, the QB position likely isn't as good as last year at this point. The 3 guys we have are talented and all do good things, but the expectation that a QB with no meaningful game time reps is going to right away be a star is probably wishful thinking. Hopefully one of those guys separates himself and is able to use those first three games this season to get comfortable and consistently produce when we enter conference play.

I don't think you can make a good assessment of if the OL has/hasn't improved from last year based on one scrimmage. The defensive front really took it to them today. The RBs also struggled blocking. That could be because the defense is just better, but it is difficult to tell if they are better than last year too.

Also, much of our best talent is still very young and raw and it takes most OL a few years to develop into reliably productive players.

Truthfully, these scrimmages aren't a very good indicator of how good the offense is or how good the defense is for that matter. It is one limited game with limited play calling on both sides of the ball.

Thanks.

Back