• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Good, Bad, Ugly - Spring Scrimmage

HookedonGriz

DONOR
Good:
- Jace Lewis had his third straight excellent scrimmage. That's not a coincidence. This kid needs to be on the field a lot.
- Josh Sandry looks awesome. He could be an all conference player next 3 years
- Sammy Akem at WR is going to be a nightmare match up for majority of DBs. Caught everything thrown to him and just looks the part
- Caleb Hill looked like the best QB by far today
- future is bright with Gresch Jensen. Kid can sling it. Has a good ability to put it only where the receivers can catch it, away from the D in tight spaces
- Makena Simis put on 35 lbs and looks the part of a solid H receiver. Played well with 2s
- Samori Toure going to be a very good receiver for us
- we have HUGE receivers. Akem at 6'4, Nagler at 6'4, Corbin at 6'5, Horner at 6'5 l, Toure at 6'3, Bingham at 6'3. These kids will be tough to match up against
- Randy Rodriguez is going to be a great DE for us in future
- Eric Williams punted well. A couple high 50 yarders
- young Dbacks looked good (Cowans and Egbo). Sanders and McKinley looked good. Strong will be solid again.
- great event put on by butte. A perfect venue for this game. Had to be 2500-3000 there. Very cool Making it a game like atmosphere with tailgating, food, beer, and even the national anthem

Bad:
- no run game...again. Granted our 1 and 2 backs were out but didn't see much. Green was okay. Not much from Favors. The recently converted Moody probably did better than all
- O line got a bit dominated today. Hoping our front 7 is that good. Need the O line to be a force
- after making maybe 5 straight kicks (FG and PAts) Tim missed two in a row. Ugh.
- there was an awful first punt by I believe Purdy. It wasn't purdy. He rebounded with a couple good ones

Ugly:
- whatever Reese did to lock down QB 1 in the last scrimmage, he undid today. I truly hope that is the worst game I ever see him play. There is no sugarcoating this he was downright awful. He looks to me like he has a bad case of happy feet and poor decision-making. Wow it was really bad.

HelenaHandBasket said:
I think the OL should be under ugly. And the first team OL was part of the reason QB1 and QB2 struggled.

True, but it is the same OL as the last 2 scrimmages. Hill has improved every scrimmage with the least amount of time to learn the offense. He can also flat out run the ball and we may need that if OL struggles. Gresch has also shown what he can do, but is still young so mistakes will happen.

Grizzly96 said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
I think the OL should be under ugly. And the first team OL was part of the reason QB1 and QB2 struggled.

True, but it is the same OL as the last 2 scrimmages. Hill has improved every scrimmage with the least amount of time to learn the offense. He can also flat out run the ball and we may need that if OL struggles. Gresch has also shown what he can do, but is still young so mistakes will happen.

I don't think Hill would have had anymore success than Phillips/Gresch with the #1 O.

HelenaHandBasket said:
Grizzly96 said:
HelenaHandBasket said:

I don't think Hill would have had anymore success than Phillips/Gresch with the #1 O.

Maybe not, but I would have like to seen him get his chance.

I don't know how coach Stitt leaves this scrimmage feeling good about his offense. It was a pretty rough day for em. They need some help at the running back position......desperately. Tim Semenza needs to be cut from the roster plain and simple.

grizaremoregooder said:
I don't know how coach Stitt leaves this scrimmage feeling good about his offense. It was a pretty rough day for em. They need some help at the running back position......desperately. Tim Semenza needs to be cut from the roster plain and simple.

How do you talk about the offensive problems and not mention the OL.

My take:
Good
Beautiful day in Butte for April - wind down 5 mph and it would have been an a+ (I lived in Butte for 6 years so I have some background)
Venue and organization was great. I had never been in Naranche Stadium but it was a great place to watch.

Special teams - tough to tell with no real punts or kickoffs. Couple of good punts, a couple that left something to be desired. I am so f........... sick of missed extra points - going to cost a game if it doesn't stop. Can't really make an assessment of the field goal unit.

Defense - Looks like we are two deep and I'm not sure that it can't be said the #2's outplayed the #1's. With none of the presumed starting linebackers playing this unit has real potential. Only one ball really thrown over the top - JLM from Jensen. Lewis seemed to have his number called after every play. The 3 presumed starting linebackers out - Wow! Can they hold the rest of the Big Sky to 17 points or less??????????????????? Because ... see offense assessment below

Offense - I do think the highlight here was Hill. Phillips' 4 (check me here) interceptions are unacceptable. Hill had a couple of passes that could have easily been picked off as well but overall a good performance. Great swing pass to I believe Moody in the 3rd quarter. Jensen seemed to get better as the game progressed. Running game sucked with the caveat that they did pick up some short 1st downs. Gets back to an abysmal performance from both the 1 and 2 offensive lines. Did anybody get a count of the sacks; seemed like a lot to me. Good progress at receiver with Simis - I have a lot of respect as to how he has accepted his role. Some of the younger receivers stepped up. There needs to be a hell of a lot of improvement here or it is going be a long season unless the defense can hold opponents to 17 or under.

HelenaHandBasket said:
grizaremoregooder said:

How do you talk about the offensive problems and not mention the OL.
Good point.

It's not the offensive line , It's the offensive scheme. If you can't run the ball and keep the D line honest then you're going to give up a lot of sacks.

bozono said:
It's not the offensive line , It's the offensive scheme. If you can't run the ball and keep the D line honest then you're going to give up a lot of sacks.

LOL. The scheme may be an issue, but the Oline is part of the problem as to why they can't run the ball or pass protect.

HelenaHandBasket said:
bozono said:

LOL. The scheme may be an issue, but the Oline is part of the problem as to why they can't run the ball or pass protect.
Unfortunately, you're probably both right. So here we go with another year of this....

The OL hasn't been worth a damn for four years. If Stitt has the football mind some folks say, why hasn't he corrected the problem? It seems that someone with such a good football mind would know you can't win without a good OL.

Wouldn't it be nice to say after a game, "Wow, that O-Line did a great job, our RB's could run at will?" Been a long, long time.

Spanky said:
The OL hasn't been worth a damn for four years. If Stitt has the football mind some folks say, why hasn't he corrected the problem? It seems that someone with such a good football mind would know you can't win without a good OL.

Since Hauck, the OL recruiting, development has been sub optimal.

I think some of the success Hill had was do to the time allowed to make a read. While watching I tried to get a sense of the time by using the old 1001, 1002 time thing and I only made it to 1002 once while watching Jensen and Phillips. On the other had I got to 2004 several times with Hill. With so many 2's playing as 1's does that mean Hill was going against a lot of 3's and 4's? Certainly the 2's that played as 1's on defense did any excellent job and some may end of as 1's, time will tell.

Hill looked like a mini tebow to me. And not just his lefty, delivery, and leg kick on the follow through, but also his size, running, and attitude. This is not necessarily a bad thing. Maybe that is exactly what this offense needs, as they don't seem to have the QB or oline required for a precision air attack and could need some help in the running game.. I still think Jensen is the man but I could get behind Hill too. Phillips looked like he cared most about his hair

HelenaHandBasket said:
Spanky said:

I read that on here as well. Very interesting theory.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PhxGriz said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
Spanky said:

10 Offensive line players currently on the team are RF , F , or Soph. Seems to me that the staff has been looking at the line.

Triwest said:
PhxGriz said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
Spanky said:

10 Offensive line players currently on the team are RF , F , or Soph. Seems to me that the staff has been looking at the line.

and many have stars...so I really think the potential is there. Sometimes takes time with OL. Hate that aspect and I really hope Stitt gets 1 more year to show what he's got for this reason specifically.

Back