• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Summit League Football

Status
Not open for further replies.

GeauxSioux

With the MVC about to make some moves in their conference membership, it has led to some conjecture about the future of some of the other conferences that may be impacted. One of many scenarios would have the Summit losing members and needing new blood. Since there is a potential of losing baseball school(s), the basketball auto bid could be lost. One way around all of that is to sponsor football. There have been some posts on Siouxsports.com about the possibility of Summit League football and including the Montanas.

Is there any interest on egriz of something along the lines of...

Montana
Montana State
North Dakota
North Dakota State
South Dakota
South Dakota State
Northern Colorado
Denver
Omaha
Oral Roberts

GeauxSioux said:
With the MVC about to make some moves in their conference membership, it has led to some conjecture about the future of some of the other conferences that may be impacted. One of many scenarios would have the Summit losing members and needing new blood. Since there is a potential of losing baseball school(s), the basketball auto bid could be lost. One way around all of that is to sponsor football. There have been some posts on Siouxsports.com about the possibility of Summit League football and including the Montanas.

Montana
Montana State
North Dakota
North Dakota State
South Dakota
South Dakota State
Northern Colorado
Denver
Omaha
Oral Roberts

Not even a little bit.

I'd prefer something more like this...

NDSU
SDSU
USD
UND
NMSU
Denver
Montana
Montana State
Idaho
EWU
UCD(FB only)
CP(FB only)

FargoBison said:

NDSU
SDSU
USD
UND
NMSU
Denver
Montana
Montana State
Idaho
EWU
UCD(FB only)
CP(FB only)

Just an honest question; why do you want 12 teams? That's a big part of the problem with the BSC now, not everyone plays each other in football and in basketball, not every team has a home and away game with every conference opponent.

griz98 said:
FargoBison said:

NDSU
SDSU
USD
UND
NMSU
Denver
Montana
Montana State
Idaho
EWU
UCD(FB only)
CP(FB only)

Just an honest question; why do you want 12 teams? That's a big part of the problem with the BSC now, not everyone plays each other in football and in basketball, not every team has a home and away game with every conference opponent.

Technically that would be 10 for hoops, since I doubt the Cali schools will ever leave their CA bus league for their Olympic sports.

I guess you could cut them out for FB and you would have 9 schools for FB and 10 for hoops, which are ideal numbers for a round robin schedule.

GeauxSioux said:

Montana
Montana State
North Dakota
North Dakota State
South Dakota
South Dakota State
Northern Colorado
Denver
Omaha
Oral Roberts
3 of those teams don't even play football. Not to mention it'd be a nightmare for travel for the both the fans and the teams as none of those schools are even remotely close to Montana.

I'd be down for a football conference like this:

Eastern Washington
Idaho
Idaho State
Montana
Montana State
North Dakota
North Dakota State
South Dakota
South Dakota State

get'em_griz said:
I'd be down for a football conference like this:

Eastern Washington
Idaho
Idaho State
Montana
Montana State
North Dakota
North Dakota State
South Dakota
South Dakota State

This might be okay.

I realize that these are not all football playing schools. I was attempting to keep some semblance of the current Summit and make it a less vulnerable, stronger conference. UNC was added as a travel partner for Denver and as another football school.

I have read over the years that there are folks on this forum who are dissatisfied with the direction of the Big Sky and was throwing out an optional view.

Currently UM is drifting without strong leadership from a President or AD. The focus should be becoming competitive in the Big Sky Conference once again.

Personally I would like to see the Montana and Dakota State schools join the FBS, however as long as we play at the FCS level we will not leave the Big Sky Conference. If the Summit were to start football however I could see UNC leaving and with North Dakota leaving as well that could benefit the Big Sky Conference. An unfortunate side effect of having stability aka around 12 teams in your conference is scheduling, however if UNC left we could adopt the Mountain West Conference scheduling format:

BIG SKY NORTH:
Montana, MSU, Idaho, Idaho State, EWU, PSU

BIG SKY SOUTH:
WSU, SUU, Sac State, Cal Poly, UC-Davis, NAU

Each team would play every team in their division along with three schools from the opposite division every season. Would help schools with finances as this allows each division a core group of opponents with cheap flight or bus options as well as maintaining rivalries. Granted it doesn't fix the issue of not playing every team in the conference since we don't have a conference Championship Game however since it's not going to change anytime soon might as well make the best of it.

UTGrizFan said:
Personally I would like to see the Montana and Dakota State schools join the FBS, however as long as we play at the FCS level we will not leave the Big Sky Conference. If the Summit were to start football however I could see UNC leaving and with North Dakota leaving as well that could benefit the Big Sky Conference. An unfortunate side effect of having stability aka around 12 teams in your conference is scheduling, however if UNC left we could adopt the Mountain West Conference scheduling format:

BIG SKY NORTH:
Montana, MSU, Idaho, Idaho State, EWU, PSU

BIG SKY SOUTH:
WSU, SUU, Sac State, Cal Poly, UC-Davis, NAU

Each team would play every team in their division along with three schools from the opposite division every season. Would help schools with finances as this allows each division a core group of opponents with cheap flight or bus options as well as maintaining rivalries. Granted it doesn't fix the issue of not playing every team in the conference since we don't have a conference Championship Game however since it's not going to change anytime soon might as well make the best of it.

What do you do about basketball and all of the other sports?

The problem is the big sky

Spanky said:
Currently UM is drifting without strong leadership from a President or AD. The focus should be becoming competitive in the Big Sky Conference once again.
You are dead wrong regarding Haslam. He has kept the machine running in a very difficult environment. He has been very effective with donors. While the quality of the FB coach hire remains in the air, who could have done scheduling, the addition of softball and the infrastructure projects better? We are lucky to have him and if the University continues to decline around him, we may not be able to retain him.

EverettGriz said:
What do you do about basketball and all of the other sports?
The problem is the big sky

From what I've gathered having 10 full time teams in the conference for every other sport wouldn't be a horrible thing when it comes to scheduling, the Big East has 10 schools for example in basketball and that seems to work just fine.

kemajic said:
Spanky said:
You are dead wrong regarding Haslam. He has kept the machine running in a very difficult environment. He has been very effective with donors. While the quality of the FB coach hire remains in the air, who could have done scheduling, the addition of softball and the infrastructure projects better? We are lucky to have him and if the University continues to decline around him, we may not be able to retain him.

Spot on kem.

Griz til I die said:
GeauxSioux said:

Montana
Montana State
North Dakota
North Dakota State
South Dakota
South Dakota State
Northern Colorado
Denver
Omaha
Oral Roberts
3 of those teams don't even play football. Not to mention it'd be a nightmare for travel for the both the fans and the teams as none of those schools are even remotely close to Montana.

Four of those teams don't even play football if you count Montana State. Yeah getting lucky once every 10 years doesn't count.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back