• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

ROOT Sports

IdahoGrizFan

So on GoGriz.com there is an article saying that there will be 5 Griz game to be televised on ROOT sports. It also says the following in the body of the article.

http://www.gogriz.com/news/2017/3/21/football-five-griz-games-to-be-broadcast-on-root-sports-in-2017.aspx

New this year, Montana football fans will have the opportunity to watch archived versions of ROOT Sports games on WatchBigSky.com 30 days after the game's original airdate.

So does that sound like these games will watchable on line? Of course the season will be over in many instances if you really have to wait the 30 days for the game to be archived. I guess that is the good news and the bad news all at the same time.

17426361_10155080394513905_2544677112714055159_n.jpg

IdahoGrizFan said:
So on GoGriz.com there is an article saying that there will be 5 Griz game to be televised on ROOT sports. It also says the following in the body of the article.

http://www.gogriz.com/news/2017/3/21/football-five-griz-games-to-be-broadcast-on-root-sports-in-2017.aspx

New this year, Montana football fans will have the opportunity to watch archived versions of ROOT Sports games on WatchBigSky.com 30 days after the game's original airdate.

So does that sound like these games will watchable on line? Of course the season will be over in many instances if you really have to wait the 30 days for the game to be archived. I guess that is the good news and the bad news all at the same time.

No real word about live, on-line viewing, but I'd guess not since they didn't say it specifically. Archived would mean you could watch it for 30 days post game day as I read it, and includes all games broadcast on Root, on BStV. Still no doubt on who's carrying the league, regardless of the quality of play.

With the Mariners game starting at 2:10 PM MT, chances are looking very good that we'll have a night game against EWU! :thumb:

Nothing about streaming options. Can't believe Root hasn't figured that out or the Big Sky couldn't make it happen in negotiations. That's really behind the times

kyle_sample said:
Nothing about streaming options. Can't believe Root hasn't figured that out or the Big Sky couldn't make it happen in negotiations. That's really behind the times

The problem is that that all of the Root Sports Networks around the nation are subsidiaries of AT&T which has an interest in not making a cheaper alternative to cable/satellite. That is why not even Direct TV Now carries Root. It makes sense regional sports networks are one of the last hooks it has to keep cable/satellite somewhat viable. So doubt any beginning negotiations with the Big Sky that had a viable streaming option was a nonstarter.

It sucks for us cable cutters. I much rather have SWX do the game (even though they aren't great) for the simple reason that it can be streamed.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/AT%26T_Sports_Networks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dayday said:
kyle_sample said:

The problem is that that all of the Root Sports Networks around the nation are subsidiaries of AT&T which has an interest in not making a cheaper alternative to cable/satellite. That is why not even Direct TV Now carries Root. It makes sense regional sports networks are one of the last hooks it has to keep cable/satellite somewhat viable. So doubt any beginning negotiations with the Big Sky that had a viable streaming option was a nonstarter.

It sucks for us cable cutters. I much rather have SWX do the game (even though they aren't great) for the simple reason that it can be streamed.

I am all about streaming tv content so I do know of a way to stream Root but it's not exactly legal.

kyle_sample said:

You could literally buy the Hellgate AV class Pizza once a month and they would be able to get a legit streamed game on the internet.

This is so easy in 2017 people!!!!!

kyle_sample said:

Had there been any other viable suitors, it might have been on the table. They aren't going to do anything that might impact their current revenue picture.

In other news, EVG has checked back into Schick Shau... since the mention of streaming games usually drives him to drink.

kyle_sample said:
As far as I know, ROOT doesn't stream anything - which is kind of wack-adoo since AT&T owns them. Doesn't matter if it is Mariners games or whatever else they have on there...so....not totally on the Big Sigh, but still somewhat on them for making their bed with a cable channel who doesn't stream their station.

kyle_sample said:

There actually is a streaming option, i think, but don't hate me if I'm wrong. The basic Direct TV Now streaming package includes the Audience channel, which has in the past aired many if not all Big Sky Root games. Praying this is the case for the upcoming season...

My sister got Root Sports in her sports package last year on Direct TV. Has something changed since last November?

1976griz said:
My sister got Root Sports in her sports package last year on Direct TV. Has something changed since last November?

Nothing has changed. We still get ROOT channels with the sports package on DirecTV. Watching a preseason baseball game on ROOT channel 687 right now.

Grizz Man said:
kyle_sample said:

There actually is a streaming option, i think, but don't hate me if I'm wrong. The basic Direct TV Now streaming package includes the Audience channel, which has in the past aired many if not all Big Sky Root games. Praying this is the case for the upcoming season...

I'm willing to bet that was only for regional purposes and that a national stream like DIRECTV Now won't air that..

1976griz said:

We are talking about online streaming options through something like a fire tv, roku, or Apple TV device. Which anyone trying to stay out of a contract and be economical is the only way to go. If you have just regular DIRECTV then you are fine for Root if you have that package.

ROOT has NO interest in streaming big sky football games, because it defeats the very purpose they televise them. The reason ROOT shows big sky games is to be sure that small cable companies in rural Montana and Idaho continue to carry the station. ROOT makes nearly all of its revenue on Mariner and Sounder broadcasts. But in order to charge premium prices for advertising during those broadcasts, the station has to be widely available in what the advertisers consider the NW footprint, and that includes Montana and Idaho. BSC football is meant as a carrot to encourage those cable companies to continue carrying the station.

Trust me, Root has the capability and knowledge to stream. They just have absolutely no economic incentive (in fact it's a huge disincentive) to do so.

Plainsman said:
1976griz said:

Nothing has changed. We still get ROOT channels with the sports package on DirecTV. Watching a preseason baseball game on ROOT channel 687 right now.

No Root - No DirecTv - simple as that.

Latest posts

Back