• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Six Questions

bgbigdog

DONOR
http://missoulian.com/sports/college/montana/griz-football-six-questions-ahead-of-spring-practices/article_d67d63f0-e953-578a-94fb-a00825a0a271.html

AJ, as usual, you buried the lead. Here's a question you missed from the softball six you just pitched.

MONTANA
Head Coach: Bob Stitt (14-10, two seasons; 122-72-1 overall)
2016 Records: 6-5, 3-5 Big Sky
Spring Practices: March 13-April 22
What to Know: The Griz collapsed after a 5-1 start last season, so the Big Sky power is anxious to get back on track. They have a young, but experienced squad which returns 17 starters (nine on defense). The graduation of NFL prospect Brady Gustafson has opened the quarterback competition to former Kentucky signal caller Reese Phillips, Blinn College transfer Caleb Hill and redshirt freshman Gresch Jensen. The fast-paced offense also features veterans across the offensive line and a wide receivers unit featuring Jerry Louie-McGee. The addition of transfers David Shaw and Chris Favoroso to an already strong defensive line, plus the the return of all three starting linebackers, makes for any extremely strong front seven.

Hows Stitt addressing the collapse that everyone else seems to have noticed?

Ps. Kyle, please write home when you find work.

Unfortunately, I believe the problem (of course outsider looking in) is that UM keeps the media availability very limited. They try to control a majority of the story lines. Not a lot of insiders leaking stories. It turns into a don't fight the hand that feeds you. Missoulian need to produce Griz stories for their readers but hard to get them if their beat writer is not given a lot of access to the team, and maybe less if he pisses them off. At press conferences, Gus Tootell or Kyle it seemed were about the only ones that have had asked some tough questions. I think it really hurts the journalistic integrity when the tough questions aren't asked but it kind of is what it is.

The end result is that we are going to usually get these puff pieces from the Missoulian, and a majority of the story will come from the athletic department media office or worse they will steal it from elsewhere.

Stitt kinda getting the double standard here. BH would not have embraced "tough questions." Delaney was very good with the media, but he was not rebuilding the program (or the offensive line for that matter). Stitt is the guy tasked with turning the ship around. What the hell would make fans happy? He can talk about the QB play - it was bad last year. He can talk about the o line play - it was bad last year. He can talk about the defense not having the right chemistry, play calling, personnel. It was bad last year. He can talk about how the record was awful. He can tell everyone that things are going to turn around in 2017. The reality is - BS can say whatever the he'll be wants and tell you what you want to hear. Who cares. Until the season starts and the games are played it is all conjecture. Beating Kyle up is not going to accomplish anything. (Other than making you look like a major dick) Maybe they should bring Florio back and she can ask the questions. Would you be happy then?

No way we have 17 starters back, or nine on defense. Kidder, Peevey, Johnson, Sanders, and Nelson are gone from the D, and Gustafson, Nguyen, Dietrich, and Thiebes are done on O.

Copper Griz said:
Stitt kinda getting the double standard here. BH would not have embraced "tough questions." Delaney was very good with the media, but he was not rebuilding the program (or the offensive line for that matter). Stitt is the guy tasked with turning the ship around. What the hell would make fans happy? He can talk about the QB play - it was bad last year. He can talk about the o line play - it was bad last year. He can talk about the defense not having the right chemistry, play calling, personnel. It was bad last year. He can talk about how the record was awful. He can tell everyone that things are going to turn around in 2017. The reality is - BS can say whatever the he'll be wants and tell you what you want to hear. Who cares. Until the season starts and the games are played it is all conjecture. Beating Kyle up is not going to accomplish anything. (Other than making you look like a major dick) Maybe they should bring Florio back and she can ask the questions. Would you be happy then?

If actually read what I wrote I didn't beat up Kyle. I think he did a good job especially for Skyline. I am also not being critical of the coach either it makes sense for him to do it this way. I don't have a problem with it. He's not responsible for writing fair and accurate news stories. I was being more critical of the actual beat writer of the Missoulian if nothing else. I also understand that they have him covering other sports as well. So go ahead and call me a dickhead if you want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Griziron said:
No way we have 17 starters back, or nine on defense. Kidder, Peevey, Johnson, Sanders, and Nelson are gone from the D, and Gustafson, Nguyen, Dietrich, and Thiebes are done on O.

Just a guess but I'm going to assume guys that started multiple games but maybe weren't the mainstay starters are part of this list. Mostly McKinley, Sims, and Jeremy Calhoun. I wonder too if they're counting Luke since he started in 2015 and I believe is in the running to start at guard.

BWahlberg said:
Griziron said:

Just a guess but I'm going to assume guys that started multiple games but maybe weren't the mainstay starters are part of this list. Mostly McKinley, Sims, and Jeremy Calhoun. I wonder too if they're counting Luke since he started in 2015 and I believe is in the running to start at guard.

Could be. If the line read 17 players who had started at least one game, no argument. As written, it's very misleading.

Griziron said:
BWahlberg said:
Griziron said:

Could be. If the line read 17 players who had started at least one game, no argument. As written, it's very misleading.

Agreed. I remember a year or two ago I think it was psu who announced they were returning 23 starters or something crazy like that using similar logic of guys that split starts and guys returning from a year off due to injury

BWahlberg said:
Griziron said:
BWahlberg said:
Griziron said:

Agreed. I remember a year or two ago I think it was psu who announced they were returning 23 starters or something crazy like that using similar logic of guys that split starts and guys returning from a year off due to injury

No rule against counting your kicker, holder, long snapper, punter, water boy, clipboard holder ...

dayday said:
Copper Griz said:

If actually read what I wrote I didn't beat up Kyle. I think he did a good job especially for Skyline. I am also not being critical of the coach either it makes sense for him to do it this way. I don't have a problem with it. He's not responsible for writing fair and accurate news stories. I was being more critical of the actual beat writer of the Missoulian if nothing else. I also understand that they have him covering other sports as well. So go ahead and call me a dickhead if you want.

Sorry dayday. The post was not directed at you. I did not hit the quote function for bdog's post. My bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Copper Griz said:
What the hell would make fans happy? He can talk about the QB play - it was bad last year. He can talk about the o line play - it was bad last year. He can talk about the defense not having the right chemistry, play calling, personnel. It was bad last year. He can talk about how the record was awful. He can tell everyone that things are going to turn around in 2017. Beating Kyle up is not going to accomplish anything.

Kyle indicated via twitter that he's looking for work outside of the state. My line was something that was commonly said to someone who was migrating. Truth be told, he's the one I would have wanted to stay. Kids a first rate reporter.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/kyle_sample/status/840063915727843328[/tweet]

Stitt isn't much in front of the media - fact. He views the task as a drudge responsibility rather than an opportunity. The only saving grace he has are his assistants, who more than capable and working hard to keep the positive going. As things are right now, we're I BGBob, I'd double down & get out in front of the collapse narrative. Time to get busy touting the champions center, the competition @ QB, etc.

Lots of things weren't good last season. Time to change the narrative. Sound familiar? And you're right, I am a dick. I know, thanks Captain Obvious.

bgbigdog said:
Kyle indicated via twitter that he's looking for work outside of the state. My line was something that was commonly said to someone who was migrating. Truth be told, he's the one I would have wanted to stay. Kids a first rate reporter.

Can't be true. Growler says Kyle is a hack... :lol:

Griziron said:
BWahlberg said:
Griziron said:

Perhaps, but that's how it is written at every level. Check the big boys, will say the same thing about "players that have started games".

dayday said:
Unfortunately, I believe the problem (of course outsider looking in) is that UM keeps the media availability very limited. They try to control a majority of the story lines. Not a lot of insiders leaking stories. It turns into a don't fight the hand that feeds you. Missoulian need to produce Griz stories for their readers but hard to get them if their beat writer is not given a lot of access to the team, and maybe less if he pisses them off. At press conferences, Gus Tootell or Kyle it seemed were about the only ones that have had asked some tough questions. I think it really hurts the journalistic integrity when the tough questions aren't asked but it kind of is what it is.

The end result is that we are going to usually get these puff pieces from the Missoulian, and a majority of the story will come from the athletic department media office or worse they will steal it from elsewhere.
NEVER READ OR BELIEVE YOUR OWN PRESS RELEASES.

in major football programs it is part and parcel for the head coach to sir the fire and keep the flame going in order to build the program...ie..bios of players, coaches, philosophies of coaching, feel good stories about players and their interaction with the community..building updates and how it will help the program.etc..etc...fans are hungry and need to be fed.....p.r. is huge part of head coaches job imo...

grizfan406 said:
Hill had 800 in ten games? Doesn't seem like much. How many games did he start?

I think he only started like three of those games. He was in a QB rotation. Blinn is a talent factory for D1 so there were other QBs they gave reps to. I also don't think the QB rotation was anything more than the Blinn coach trying to get as many kids on the team some game film and exposure.

Since no one is content with 8-5 and 6-5 records, why do we care about how many starters return?

GrizLA said:
dayday said:

Professional baseball players say "You can't believe your own bull***t"

mcg said:
GrizLA said:
dayday said:

Professional baseball players say "You can't believe your own bull***t"

I know a president who thinks he can and makes a lot of people believe it, too......

Back