• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Has anyone else noticed...

rimrockgriz

I started a thread about 5 years ago regarding a kid from the Bitterroot valley playing in a state hoop tournament down here in Rimrockville. (this is a boring time of the year) I think he was a sophomore at the time and I was quite impressed at his size and athleticism. His name was Jesse Sims. (pretty sure he is starting on the D line this year) Well, I'm snowed in and I'm watching the state "B" hoop tournament this year. I've noticed another athletic, large individual who looks the part again. The kid is playing point guard because their roster is void of one and he's in the state final tonight.I'm told he is a solid football player and he seems to have enough "nasty" to get it done. The kid is only a junior. He appears to be 6'2" - 200 and moves quite well on the court. I really like how he embraces contact on the hardwood! The kids name is Braxton Hill. His sister started at point guard for the lady griz recently. I don't think we need Mike Mayock to help us on this one! Can anyone add to this? Are we after this kid? Also, have any of you real football heads noticed anyone on the hardwood this year that looks the part? Basketball is one of many great indicators of athleticism... :egriz:

God I hope the 'Heads can pull it out tonight. They haven't been in the chipper since '89 and haven't won a boys title since, I believe, the Lazetich and original "fab five" days. Crazy to think about that considering the talent to come through the town, including Estes. BTW, Estes's bro and nephew are on the staff.
I know the Hill family fairly well and bball is their way of life. I would be shocked if Braxton played FB and not bball in college. But, who knows?

Andaconda is a hoops/softball town. People in that town are all about those two sports and not much else...other than beer. Yellow beer....not the good kind.

I did a little asking around and was told his father was one hell of a running back at the EMC Yellowjackets. I have not verified this. Obviously, I am clueless as to the kids goals degree wise, however he is an honor student. I watched him play 3 basketball games at the #1 guard position and he moves like a cat. I certainly hope we recruit his ass off as he may not want to play Frontier ball? He looks like a dynamic linebacker prospect... :egriz:

rimrockgriz said:
I did a little asking around and was told his father was one hell of a running back at the EMC Yellowjackets. I have not verified this. Obviously, I am clueless as to the kids goals degree wise, however he is an honor student. I watched him play 3 basketball games at the #1 guard position and he moves like a cat. I certainly hope we recruit his ass off as he may not want to play Frontier ball? He looks like a dynamic linebacker prospect... :egriz:
FTC

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Allezchat said:
Andaconda is a hoops/softball town. People in that town are all about those two sports and not much else...other than beer. Yellow beer....not the good kind.

Andaconda?...you're lucky to only be 2nd string.

Braxton Hill led the Copperheads with a game-high 22 points. “We haven’t seen a guard like him,” said Costin. “He can muscle right through you.”

I'm from Anaconda and know a few of the coaches here. Apparently, Gregorak has been following Braxton's athletic career for some time. He began talking with Braxton and his father when he was a coach at UM, and has continued actively recruiting him to attend MSU. Gregorak has attended numerous practices this past year and stays in contact. The coach I spoke with thinks UM has an advantage in recruiting (former family ties), but apparently no coaches have been to any practices or seem to be making any effort whatsoever.

bobcatfan123 said:
I'm from Anaconda and know a few of the coaches here. Apparently, Gregorak has been following Braxton's athletic career for some time. He began talking with Braxton and his father when he was a coach at UM, and has continued actively recruiting him to attend MSU. Gregorak has attended numerous practices this past year and stays in contact. The coach I spoke with thinks UM has an advantage in recruiting (former family ties), but apparently no coaches have been to any practices or seem to be making any effort whatsoever.

Incorrect. I know Braxton's dad, Bill. Griz coaches have been in contact with him. He is on their radar. They may not be attending his practices (I have no idea on that part) but they have talked with him and the family.

HookedonGriz said:
bobcatfan123 said:

Incorrect. I know Braxton's dad, Bill. Griz coaches have been in contact with him. He is on their radar. They may not be attending his practices (I have no idea on that part) but they have talked with him and the family.

Not to rank kids but...its what I do. Here are the best Montana LB recruits going into their senior years:

1) Nolan Askelson - Billings Senior (When college coaches turn on high school tape for a LB, they want to see plays being made in the backfield. It's almost a requirement if you want to be considered a top tier recruit. Nolan lives in opponent's backfields and has good speed/strength to boot. One of the clear cut best recruits playing football in MT this fall.)

2) Seth Schneider - Helena Capital (Makes up for lack of top tier speed with great instincts (his first step is outstanding) and makes plays in the backfield. Might be a better RB but I like him at LB. Arguably the best tackler in the state and is solid in coverage.)

3) Garrett Graves - Eureka (plays QB and SS but I see a future OLB...and so do UM & MSU coaches. A state champion wrestler and championship winning QB. I have heard he is high up on MSU's recruiting board as well as UM's.)

4) Blake Allred - Billings Senior (Short but very instinctive and plays with a great motor. Hard not to like his junior film. The kid plays fearless.)

5) Brandon Morley - Missoula Sentinel (If he adds weight, he could be really, really good. Has outstanding tape. Plays OLB for the Spartans and has very fluid hips as an athlete, which translates to his great coverage ability. Fills well in the run despite his size.)

6) Braxton Hill - Anaconda (Braxton is the leader of Anaconda and has been since his sophomore season. One of those kids that plays about every snap of every game. Plays QB/MLB and is more of a LB than QB. The only hold-up I have with Braxton is his speed. The top 5 read and react better than him at LB based off what I've seen. Still, he definitely has the build for a college LB.)

Two other kids who don't play LB but could be recruited there are Levi Janacaro of Missoula Big Sky and Jackson Pepe of Kalispell Glacier. Janacaro is one of the better high school QB's returning this fall but he is more Tim Tebow than Tom Brady if you know what I mean. Regardless, he is really strong and a great athlete. Pepe is considered one of the best pure athletes in the state this fall so he could possibly fit at OLB. However, I see a WR/Safety.

Back