• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Questions on defense going into this spring

BWahlberg

DONOR
The other week I put a post up on the offense and the big questions I had regarding that side of the ball and what I’ll be looking for this spring. Now I thought it’d be good to switch gears and look at the defensive side of the ball. Here’s what I’d love to see answered/addressed this spring:

Will the Defensive line 2-deep take shape? I count 19 guys listed for the D-line, and it would appear that all but 3 will be here for spring camp (those three are incoming freshman). I would assume there’s two “known” spots on the line. #37 Tucker Schye will open spring ball with all expectations to be our premier speed-rushing DE and that that Brandt Davidson will continue his role of being that guy that collects the double teams so the LBs/DEs can pile up the stats. Beyond that it’s appearing pretty wide open.

At DT you’ve got Jesse Sims who started half the year last year plus incoming transfer David Shaw. There’s also Kyle Davis who missed half the season with a bad sprain and Myles McKee Osibodu who improved as the season went on in some fill-in duty. Then there’s scout team defensive player of the year Randy Rodriguez who was a wrecking ball in fall camp, there’s Reggie Tilleman who’s finally got the weight to make some contributions and Trace Bradshaw coming off his redshirt. (Interestingly I’m not seeing Nate Bradley, I’m guessing he just decided to hang it up? If I recall correctly we saw Sims, Davidson, MMO, Tilleman, & Davis all play and contribute last season. With the addition of Shaw and the young talent of Rodriguez and Bradshaw you’ve got a group with some experience. It’ll be interesting to see it take shape. This group could be fairly deep.

Moving over to DE it gets even a little more unknown. Obviously we’ve got Tucker but beyond him there’s Donald Bedell who played a bit last season and I don’t think anyone else in this group has time playing DE for the Griz. There’s Favoroso and Gilfoy, both JuCo transfers with lots of hype who are here and will presumably be looked upon to step up. Rosling and Maua are coming off their red shirts, can they contribute? There’s also Sophomore Andrew Harris as well. With the depth at DT I wonder if Jesse Sims gets a look over at DE as well? We’ll have to see, and maybe the play of the two JuCo kids will help decide that.

Can the starting 3 LBs take it to the next level? This is our 3rd go around where the team has a returning trio of starting linebackers, however this time just two graduate this year (Strahm & Banks) while Buss has 1 more season in store. Recently when we saw a new group get installed their first season was solid but was low on forced turnovers, then in their 2nd years and beyond they upped the forced fumbles, sacks, and interceptions. Can this group follow suit?

Will any of the LB depth challenge for a starting spot? My guess is that they wont but they could provide some fill-in duty and subs to help keep Buss/Strahm/Banks from getting too gassed. Vika, Olson, and Cirmon are all returning back and I assume will be listed on the 2-deep again. There’s also Ryan, Smith, Steele, and Cochran and then some freshman that are coming off their RS in LeTexier and Lewis. There’s lots of guys here that will probably help shape ST but are probably positioning themselves in 2017 for a 2018 starting job.

How will the secondary depth develop? I’m just going to assume that Sandry, Strong, Markell Sanders, and McKinley are our starting 4 in the secondary. Behind them it’s a pretty vast sea of unknowns. At corner we’ve got 3 guys coming off their RS, Egbo, Cowans, and Nash (who converted from WR). Cowans impressed me in fall camp, I’m looking forward to seeing all three of these young guys who are going to be put to test fast this spring. At safety there’s a little more experience in depth, Delaney, Epperly, and Alexander (who played some nickel/slot corner I believe). There’s also Gavin Crow who is coming off his RS as well. I assume we’ll see some walk-on / scout team kids make a push for a roster spot at both CB and S.

Will we see more zone defense? Simple enough question. That seemed to be an issue for the Griz as they played most of September and half of October almost exclusively in man, but once NAU showed max-protect & throw it deep to slow the pass rush that really caused trouble. The team switched to more zone but had continued errors at bad moments.

Pretty straightforward questions I’ve got – what are you guys looking for this spring?

I think our personnel is stronger than last season at each position....by far. No real questions or concerns there. I think Sandry and Shaw will be key new faces on this defense and will have the ability to make a big difference in making this an elite defense.

My questions are completely on the scheme and coaching side of it. What we saw in the last half of the season was worse than anything I could have imagined. Hopefully the staff has found a way to adjust the scheme in the game and get stops. I wouldn't want to be the DC that wasted this group.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

griz5700 said:
Sandry is the best player on this team. Everything else is unknown.

Josh Buss is unknown?

Connor Strahm is unknown?

Tucker Schye is unknown?

Justin Strong is unknown?

BWahlberg said:
griz5700 said:

Josh Buss is unknown?

Tucker Schye is unknown?

You didn't really consider who made the post...did you?

Sent from my Nokia 3310

HelenaHandBasket said:
BWahlberg said:
griz5700 said:

Josh Buss is unknown?

Tucker Schye is unknown?

You didn't really consider who made the post...did you?

Sent from my Nokia 3310

lol true true

I could of swore when the first 2017 roster was released in January, Sims was listed back at DE. Guess they really like what they have in Favoroso.

George Ferguson said:
I could of swore when the first 2017 roster was released in January, Sims was listed back at DE. Guess they really like what they have in Favoroso.

Not sure it's that cut and dry. We don't know where he'll end up but he's been growing and I think he could make the most as a tall, athletic D-tackle to compliment the run stuffers we have in Davidson, Shaw, and Longoria. I would think Rodriguez in a similar mold to Sims. Love our mix of size and athleticism on d-line next year. I thought we really lacked depth on the d-line last year. Also, if you have enough depth at inner D-line and linebacker, which I believe we do, I like the method of platooning and keeping guys hungry. It's seen as risky but I think it can build alot of confidence in a team. After all, no starting lineup stays completely intact because of injuries.

I have been on board with Tucker Schye since he became a Griz. Now he is being put in the spotlight and I believe he will be a standout! The only thing I worry about with him is his size...has he put on any weight? Last year I thought he was around 217, pretty light for a DE.

reinell30 said:
I have been on board with Tucker Schye since he became a Griz. Now he is being put in the spotlight and I believe he will be a standout! The only thing I worry about with him is his size...has he put on any weight? Last year I thought he was around 217, pretty light for a DE.

He was around 245-250 actually.

George Ferguson said:

I went off the online roster, but I know that's subject to some changes.

I've been told over and over again that Sims is second to none in the weight room. I wonder if his continued showing of strength and good run at DT before Peevey's healthy return has the coaches hoping he'll be a big contributor at DT. Although the need seems to be at DE...

brewskis said:
I think our personnel is stronger than last season at each position....by far. No real questions or concerns there. I think Sandry and Shaw will be key new faces on this defense and will have the ability to make a big difference in making this an elite defense.

My questions are completely on the scheme and coaching side of it. What we saw in the last half of the season was worse than anything I could have imagined. Hopefully the staff has found a way to adjust the scheme in the game and get stops. I wouldn't want to be the DC that wasted this group.

I kinda agree here,,,,i think we have talent on the defensive side, do they always know what they are doing ? ....after watching the unc game, not so much......d.c. run horizontal zones, vertical zones and combinations at times depending on the offensive formation and motion ( it can be complex and you must do your job and rely on your teammates to do theirs....it takes reps and lots of them in order not make mistakes and have someone run free as in the unc game.....I hope we get it figured out....go griz !

BWahlberg said:
George Ferguson said:

I went off the online roster, but I know that's subject to some changes.

I've been told over and over again that Sims is second to none in the weight room. I wonder if his continued showing of strength and good run at DT before Peevey's healthy return has the coaches hoping he'll be a big contributor at DT. Although the need seems to be at DE...
With his size, strength, and explosiveness I feel like he could be one hell of a DE. Sounds like Rodriguez is a gem as an athletic DT, and Longoria is explosive with size. Let Sims bully offensive tackles off the edge.

Is it spring ball yet?

The biggest question mark is in the depth @ DB, and though there might be an addition or two prior to the the season, this is likely the group they're going to start the season with.

That said, the biggest challenge on defense this season is going to be how Semore chooses to approach it. IT WAS A HUGE MISTAKE to put the eggs in the all-or-nothing, bring-the-house & group hug defense basket & assume no one was going to figure it out. Why not use a a 3-3-5 from time to time when you're playing against a pass-first team, given the fact that blitzing seemed to burn them as often as not late in the season? They've got a wealth of folks in the LB skill range including the DE's, so why not make use of your athletes? My fear is Semore just assumes he didn't have the horses to make his only play work, and as such, is looking for players to fill the roles.

My hope is that they can get my favorite Billings Central guy on the field, with the injuries behind him. There's talent on this side of the ball, it's time for Semore to step up and put it in a position to be successful.

bgbigdog said:
The biggest question mark is in the depth @ DB, and though there might be an addition or two prior to the the season, this is likely the group they're going to start the season with.

That said, the biggest challenge on defense this season is going to be how Semore chooses to approach it. IT WAS A HUGE MISTAKE to put the eggs in the all-or-nothing, bring-the-house & group hug defense basket & assume no one was going to figure it out. Why not use a a 3-3-5 from time to time when you're playing against a pass-first team, given the fact that blitzing seemed to burn them as often as not late in the season? They've got a wealth of folks in the LB skill range including the DE's, so why not make use of your athletes? My fear is Semore just assumes he didn't have the horses to make his only play work, and as such, is looking for players to fill the roles.

My hope is that they can get my favorite Billings Central guy on the field, with the injuries behind him. There's talent on this side of the ball, it's time for Semore to step up and put it in a position to be successful.

Couldn't agree more. The last half of the season was an absolute train wreck defensively. Letting our rival torch us for over 300 on the ground, and primarily on QB draws? Come on.

I don't think depth at corner will be as big of an issue as some may think. Lewis Cowans could develop into one of the best corners we've had in a while, and I think he'll make an impact immediately. Nash and Egbo could be studs as well, interested to see how they develop.

I think we've got two real gems at safety in Strong and Sandry. I've got Epperly pegged to have a break-out year under Shann's guidance. Sounds like Shann is high on him, and if that's the case I think Evan has a shot. Gavin Crow is absolutely no slouch either, could burst onto the scene.

Of course, this all hinges on Semores own development, and whether or not he learned from the first year.

I agree the biggest development needs to come from Semore.

He needs to become flexible and multiple from week to week. We have talent. He preached before the year how he wanted to be multiple and that may have happened some with the front 7 but it just did not happen with the back end.

Man coverage defense is great if you can get the pressure but it's not great when a passing team max protects. Receivers eventually will get open. Also man coverage isn't all that great for really mobile QBs either because once they break loose dbs and linebackers are often out of position to make a play because they are covering their one man. We needed to be be more multiple on coverages.

I also thought tackling fell off towards the end of the year and that's probably a combination of depth and not being stressed as much later in the year.

BWahlberg said:
So you watched him fruitlessly try to tackle an 18 year old one dimensional QB, get stupid frustration fouls and you suggest there are no questions? TG knew where to run on this defense - QB draws right up the middle - the whole game without adjustment. With no threat to throw. That should beg a lot of questions. That film will be out there.

kemajic said:
BWahlberg said:
So you watched him fruitlessly try to tackle an 18 year old one dimensional QB, get stupid frustration fouls and you suggest there are no questions? TG knew where to run on this defense - QB draws right up the middle - the whole game without adjustment. With no threat to throw. That should beg a lot of questions. That film will be out there.

So what you are saying Kem is that Strahm is known.

kemajic said:
BWahlberg said:

I saw him have a bad game, yep, we all did.

I also saw him lead the team in forced fumbles, finish 4th best in sacks, and lay out serious punishment and play damn good against UNI, SFU, SUU, MVSU, Sac, & EWU.

TG knew where to run? He's their DC and when he was at Montana Strahm wasn't his starting middle linebacker, Kose was. The cat offense attacked Strahm and the whole defense knowing that their QB, who is a better athlete/runner than every linebacker in the Big Sky, would have 1-on-1 situations (if even that), and would win that matchup just enough to seal the game.

Chris Murray had 142 rushing yards on 26 attempts in the game. One of them came on a 48 yard run. Besides that run he was held to 3.62 yards per attempt.

Additionally "no adjustment at the half" is dead wrong too.

Murray in the first half: 121 rushing yards and 2 rushing TDs
Murray in the second half: 21 rushing yards and 0 rushing TDs.

Last year I bought into all the hype about how good/great our defense was going to be. This year I am going to just wait and see and then judge at seasons end...

Back