• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Recruiting tactics

dayday

DONOR
https://twitter.com/ajmazzolini/status/829165986918125568

Slow time until Spring ball. Ran across this tweet. Interesting the differences in recruiting philosophies. To be honest I like MSU's approach only because that actually seems to be recruiting game these days. It matters who offers first and starts the relationship. However on the other hand, I understand Stitt's philosophy of spending the time to get the right fit but sometimes if you limit yourself too much then lose out on some recruits you are left scrambling. Any thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't think we need to get into the race of being the first to offer. I do think you can show strong interest early without offering and still establish the same effect of building an early relationship, especially if you are up front with your recruiting strategy. These days, where offers and verbals often don't always last, I like the approach of offering kids after taking the time to get to know them and adequately scout them.

I beleive we only lost one verbal, one day after he verballed. I do beleive that's much better then years past where we loose at least 3-4 throughout the process. That shows that the coaches are building a strong relationship with these kids. Sure we "missed out" on a couple real good ones at the end, but to be in theses kids top three, battling with Mt West schools for recruits has to say a lot.

alabamagrizzly said:
I beleive we only lost one verbal, one day after he verballed. I do beleive that's much better then years past where we loose at least 3-4 throughout the process. That shows that the coaches are building a strong relationship with these kids. Sure we "missed out" on a couple real good ones at the end, but to be in theses kids top three, battling with Mt West schools for recruits has to say a lot.

Eastern, MSU, and many other Big sky schools battled, both winning and losing recruits against Mt West (etc.) conferences. I don't think it says as much as you think.

G-BEARS said:
alabamagrizzly said:

Eastern, MSU, and many other Big sky schools battled, both winning and losing recruits against Mt West (etc.) conferences. I don't think it says as much as you think.

Impossible to say at this point. If Stitt ends up here for a good chunk of time and this corp of kids gels and we have a lower turnover ratio than normal and win alot of games and graduate alot of kids, then we may look back and think...that questionaire, etc. was a solid idea. Not to say he invented the process by any means, but if we end up with a great team in a couple of years then the idea won't seem as conservative.

Alaska Griz said:
G-BEARS said:
alabamagrizzly said:

Impossible to say at this point. If Stitt ends up here for a good chunk of time and this corp of kids gels and we have a lower turnover ratio than normal and win alot of games and graduate alot of kids, then we may look back and think...that questionaire, etc. was a solid idea. Not to say he invented the process by any means, but if we end up with a great team in a couple of years then the idea won't seem as conservative.

Totally agree with you, not sure what it has to do with my post though. But yeah, you're right.

G-BEARS said:
Alaska Griz said:
G-BEARS said:
alabamagrizzly said:

Totally agree with you, not sure what it has to do with my post though. But yeah, you're right.

But I think it's a good point to my post. We just don't know right now. Stitt this year didn't offer recruits until they at least took their visit in the fall. The year before he started offering recruits at camp during the summer and that seemed to work better. 40 offers seems like a low net when MSU probably made 40 offers just yesterday, time will tell. Stitt definitely has his own way to run a program and it's not always conventional.

dayday said:
https://twitter.com/ajmazzolini/status/829165986918125568

Slow time until Spring ball. Ran across this tweet. Interesting the differences in recruiting philosophies. To be honest I like MSU's approach only because that actually seems to be recruiting game these days. It matters who offers first and starts the relationship. However on the other hand, I understand Stitt's philosophy of spending the time to get the right fit but sometimes if you limit yourself too much then lose out on some recruits you are left scrambling. Any thoughts?

I think the problem with shotgun approach, early and often offers, is that if there is not a good understanding of the offer things can go south in a big hurry. ie... what happened to the bozeman state assistant coach that created some buzz in california last year.

Social media has changed the game. It makes it very easy to blast out info about your program to anyone, and for the kids, they love throwing out every offer they get on their twitter accounts.

Being first or hitting a huge amount of kids up early mean much less nowadays than it would have before social media. Back in the day it meant the coach was taking time to visit you. Now it just mean your someone on their vast radar. I can assure you it means much less to kids now than it did a decade or so ago.

I think the article the parent posted about how much time Stitt spent on recruiting their kid is much more indicative of a successful approach.

i think it's probably more fun for the fans to see offers going out all over the place, however, I think either tactic can be successful. It just depends on each coach and their style and comfort level. Choate come from Washington, Boise, and Florida where they have 85 full scholarships and are recruiting across the country.

Stitt comes form Mines where they had limited scholarships and had to be pretty picky academically because of the extreme rigor of the academic programs.

I don't think one is better or worse than the other.

wbtfg said:
i think it's probably more fun for the fans to see offers going out all over the place, however, I think either tactic can be successful. It just depends on each coach and their style and comfort level. Choate come from Washington, Boise, and Florida where they have 85 full scholarships and are recruiting across the country.

Stitt comes form Mines where they had limited scholarships and had to be pretty picky academically because of the extreme rigor of the academic programs.

I don't think one is better or worse than the other.

How dare you come to this forum and use reason and common sense! I recommend you avoid a political career. It will break you.

Stitt likes the "up close & personal" method, inviting the HS kids to the summer camps so he can see them run and how they take coaching. My take, for regional HS kid recruiting, makes great sense. For the kids outside the region, you've got to have an even better network of coaches & scouting service connections you can trust to bring kids to your attention. And who knows, maybe kids like Beaver will continue calling because the program is headed in the right direction & they want to be a part of it.

He's said pretty clearly he doesn't want to throw out offers willy-nilly & have to backpeddle a bunch as things begin to move. Got to take him @ his word.

fanofzoo said:
I think once the caddy is up and running well, it will make the process run easier.

How long is it going to be in the shop? and do we know where the keys are?

I think the tactic has to change from year to year. Last year we kinda used the shotgun approach, bringing in a huge class with a lot of stars and flash. This year was a smaller class, so the staff wanted every signee to stick so they took a more personal approach.

This next year might be different, and that's okay. Whatever we have to do to fill the gaps in the roster with talented, high character players.

Another huge issue with the MSU approach of growing everything to the wall and seeing what sticks is the fact that if you get some of those to commit you as a program are also committed. You can miss out on other big recruits or kids that might be passed up by big schools later because you have so many offers on the market. It can go either way, I'm not sure one is better than the other...just different.
Honestly at UM.... I think being more conservative is better. We have the best fans and facilities in FCS. We have more bargaining power for athletes. So I think it is good to spend more time and get the kids you really like. EWU or similar schools I would expect to offer more. They have recent success and if they can get some of those kids to commit who are just stud athletes they have a very good reputation on turning them in to star players. MSU I think at this point doesn't have an identity and therefore are probably recruiting correct as well. They are looking for talent and by throwing out so many offers they are bound to get some good talent...can they turn that into a team and build their program more? Unknown, that's up to coaches.

bgbigdog said:
He's said pretty clearly he doesn't want to throw out offers willy-nilly & have to backpeddle a bunch as things begin to move. Got to take him @ his word.

Willy-nilly? I think you mean willy-pfluggy

My guess is that coach Choate and his staff are taking more of a tiered approach as opposed to firm rankings. So I would guess they have offers out to all of the players they have graded in their top tier.

I say we let the cats do all the recruiting. Then we can come in a few months later and just take all the ones they offered. Show them our program compared to theirs. If they want to do engineering we tell them our coach came from an engineering school. Boom. Cats out of the bag.

Back