• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Possible QB transfer

bad influence

It was noted in the St. Paul Pioneer Press that former Central Florida QB Nate Tice is considering transferring to UM.
Nate Tice, the former Edina High School quarterback who has left Central Florida and is the son of former Vikings coach Mike Tice, is considering Gardner Webb and Montana.
Would be kind of interesting to have the kids of 2 NFL coaches playing for the Griz. Here's a link to the full story, though nothing else regards UM:
http://www.twincities.com/ci_10959434

There's a little bit of detail about Nate in an article in the Atlanta paper when he signed his LOI. At the time, the UCF coach indicated he may end up playing TE.
And Nate (Tice) is a quarterback that I think if he ends up like his old man will end up at tight end,” O’Leary said. “I do think he is a big kid that we will get a lot of use out of. We are happy with our quarterback situation.”

The 6-foot-4, 205-pound Tice, whose father is now an assistant coach with the Jacksonville Jaguars, completed 64 percent of his passes for over 1,300 yards and 10 TDs as a senior at Edina (Minn.) High School. Minnesota, Maryland and Oklahoma State also expressed an interest in him.
http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/s...cruit/entries/2007/02/07/three_qbs_highl.html

Hmm, interesting. With Selle & Kemp here that should be an uphill battle for him. Interesting two choices of schools too.

Pioneer Press also reported on 10/7 that he visited UNI but on the more recent article cited above didn't mention it as a possible destination:
Edina quarterback Nate Tice, who is transferring from Central Florida, was to make a recruiting visit to Northern Iowa the other day. Tice is the son of former Vikings coach Mike Tice, now an assistant coach for the Jacksonville Jaguars.
http://www.twincities.com/golf/ci_10663358

Exactly, the Griz do not need another QB until next years class.

They need OL & DL - Literally every available scholarship they scan spare.

I think they'll sign at least 2 QBs next year. Ideally one will be a true freshman and one with some experience. They appear set to move Larson away from QB so that would leave only Selle and Kemp next season. Selle would be the only QB who has taken a game snap (signing a transfer who has only a redshirt year wouldn't change that of course).

A team needs a minimum of 3 QBs (see bobcats current situation) who are capable of playing during a given year and I wouldn't want to force a true freshman into that position. I suppose Larson could always move back or at least serve as an emergency QB, but I wouldn't mind seeing a transfer plus a true frosh as part of next years signees.

Downwiththefoe said:

Tell that to the kittys.

Beating a dead horse, but the cats situation probably proves you need 2-3 capable backups at all times.

Grizbacker1 said:
Downwiththefoe said:

Tell that to the kittys.

Now the FINALLY got the guy playing QB who should have been all year.

OL, OL, OL, DL, OL, DL, OL, OL, OL, DL (possibly play OL)LB, LB, DB, DB, WR, RB.

That's what my class would look like..I would be traveling already trying to recruit quality Incoming Frosh and transfer big men... Just sayin..we need it.

Being in MN...I know that Edina is a wrecking crew of a high school football team. They constantly destroy teams. Fargo South (who is a ND powerhouse) decided to travel there for the 1st game of the season this year and was manhandled 62-7. And South usually beats teams by 40+. So I know this kid is a good QB.

You can never have enough talented QBs. IF he's a good student and a good kid, bring him in. If he's not, let him go someplace else.

That said, I think he'll struggle to see any playing time.

Lets just hope our QBs we have will be good enough that he will struggle to see playing time. I have high hopes for Selle and Kempt in the next few years.

this kid wants to play immediately, according to his now ex-coach...

UCF Coach George O'Leary announced today redshirt freshman quarterback Nate Tice is leaving the program.

"Nate Tice has decided to transfer from our program here at UCF in order to find an opportunity where he will receive more playing time," O'Leary said in a statement released by the university.

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/sports_college_ucf/2008/08/redshirt-freshm.html

from the horses mouth? http://nohuddlethoughts.blogspot.com/2008/09/popping-my-blog-cherry.html

Tice's UCF bio doesn't say anything about letters in other sports. Didn't both Selle and Larson letter in multiple sports in high school? Does he realize what kind of athletes he'll have to compete against for playing time? One thing no one really knows yet (in Montana) is how fast Kemp is in pads. Kemp was a CA state qualifier in the 400 M relay in track. In California there is only ONE division for the state championship in track and field in order just to qualify for state you have got to be fast as hell. He's big, he's strong and he's fast....and for those of you who been stating that he is inconsistent passing, you will be pleasantly surprised. Because his running has always overshadowed his passing ability, the assumption is that he is not an accurate passer. This is not true no matter what his HS stats indicate. At Montana he's got a line and receivers that have hands something of a luxury where he came from. Remember Utah put Montana on his trail....they were down to two guys... Kemp and the kid they went with from Las Vegas....look at Brian Johnson, that is what they saw in Kemp...

If Tice's plan is to get immediate playing time at QB, he better be able to run. That is unless Montana is going to go back to a pocket passing type of offense....

Tice's UCF bio doesn't say anything about letters in other sports. Didn't both Selle and Larson letter in multiple sports in high school? Does he realize what kind of athletes he'll have to compete against for playing time? One thing no one really knows yet (in Montana) is how fast Kemp is in pads. Kemp was a CA state qualifier in the 400 M relay in track. In California there is only ONE division for the state championship in track and field in order just to qualify for state you have got to be fast as hell. He's big, he's strong and he's fast....and for those of you who been stating that he is inconsistent passing, you will be pleasantly surprised. Because his running has always overshadowed his passing ability, the assumption is that he is not an accurate passer. This is not true no matter what his HS stats indicate. At Montana he's got a line and receivers that have hands something of a luxury where he came from. Remember Utah put Montana on his trail....they were down to two guys... Kemp and the kid they went with from Las Vegas....look at Brian Johnson, that is what they saw in Kemp...

If Tice's plan is to get immediate playing time at QB, he better be able to run. That is unless Montana is going to go back to a pocket passing type of offense....

Thanks Gerald. We are excited to see you play too.

I WISH....sorry, I'm not Gerald.... just hoping you get to see what I've already seen live in games here in San Diego....he was an underrated prospect in high school and there are a whole lot of people here hoping he gets his chance to shine with a great team.

I 100% agree with Hoop....... Kemp is gonna blow up next year..... I'm sick of people complaining about playing time for Utterback... and don't say its cuz he is from small town MT or blah blah blah.....same with Larson and Schulte..... our #1 & #2 RB's are both from MT with Reynolds being from Drummond, Schulte Billings.... obviously Utterback just isn't good enough.....plus CB is having a ridiculous year.... and instead of burrying him further on the depth chart....Bobby is trying to play Larson wherever he can get reps....WR/Holder/Special Teams......end of story..... Its not YMCA....They are keeping score at the games, big money is invovled with winning programs and THE BEST PLAYERS PLAY....period....just cuz you know a kid or are related to him does not justify him playing.....

I don't think this UCF kid should transfer here....Kemp is waiting in the wings and Selle is a capable starter as well who will have 3 years of RP's complex offense under his belt by next year and has proven himself......... I like the fact that we are grooming High School QB's now and not relying on transfers anymore..... not that Och's and Miller didn't work out... i just like the thought of a QB being in our program for 4-5 years as will be the case with Kemp and Selle.....

6'4", 205, obviously an athlete recruited by good D1 program with good coach. Son for NFL coach, we've done well with Mr. Fisher. How can you go wrong. Get him on campus, let him compete with the other QBs in the program, and let the chips fall. Not sure how you could go wrong.

Latest posts

Back