• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Watch ‘95 Marshall NC, ‘08 JMU Semifinal, ‘09 SDSU, ‘09 App State, ‘11 UNI Playoff Games!

IdaGriz01 said:
alabamagrizzly said:
I dig it. Just watched the JMU game today. I’m ready for some Bobby Hauck football. Just not sure if we’ll see it this year.
The comeback game is really, really cool in its own way, but the JMU game was amazing. The Griz went toe-to-toe with the best team in the FCS (#1 ranked and seeded anyway) ... and beat them on their home field. Could the Griz have won if the stud quarterback for JMU had not been knocked out? Can't ever know, but the Griz were leading when he went out. Of course, turnovers were the key, and -- among all the other hopes -- I'm hoping the Griz get back to where forced turnovers are a "weapon" (like special teams).

Ya, the Landres injury definitely didn’t play a factor I don’t think. The +4 turnover ratio was the dealbreaker. We got two scores on short feilds and they turned the ball over twice on the red zone if you count the goal line stand. That’s a 28 point flip right there.

*Updated*

The 2009 App State Semifinal and 2011 Northern Iowa Quarterfinal game are now up on YouTube! Video in OP!

MissoulaMarinerFan said:
get'em_griz said:
*Updated*

The 2009 App State Semifinal and 2011 Northern Iowa Quarterfinal game are now up on YouTube! Video in OP!

Dope. Thank you!

:thumb:

The 1995 National Championship Game vs Marshall is also up! Added to OP!

I intended to watch just a bit of the JMU game and couldn't quit watching---- felt like going to a reunion with a bunch of old friends. Thought it was interesting that Brock Huard couldn't stop complementing the creative offensive schemes of Rob Phenicie--- that ought to be news to many members of this board---hah. And watching Cole Bergquist perform methodically made me reflect that he really didn't get the recognition that he was due----- really a very effective, gamer quarterback; not flashy but could do a lot of the little things right and really multi-talented.

And then watching the sensational running back that no one had ever heard of----- the kid from Class C Drummond who won the job as a red-shirt sophomore. Chase had two running touchdowns and a pass reception touchdown at half-time---- one of his all-time best performances! It really brings back the memories to watch that.

I'd forgotten how talented the 2011 team was. Several of those Griz ended up in pro football or at least a shot at it, and Jordy Johnson was as heady a QB as the Griz have had outside of maybe Dickenson and Ochs in the playoff-Griz era. Killed UNI with both his feet and his arm. That team came so close to making it to the chipper--probably would have been throttled by NDSU, but who knows?

And Breske's D just annihilated poor Tyrell Rennie. Almost felt sorry for him. Almost.

This is great! I lost some of these games several years ago when I got rid of my DVR. And now I can have new video to fall asleep watching in Carjackastan in a few weeks.

Bleak evening on regular TV (what else is new?) so I watched the App State game again. Kept waiting for the snow to show up. Then, I had forgotten that Sambrano hadn't caught a pass when he hauled in his only catch of the game for the go-ahead score.

What a game ... so many great players (on both sides)!

IdaGriz01 said:
Bleak evening on regular TV (what else is new?) so I watched the App State game again. Kept waiting for the snow to show up. Then, I had forgotten that Sambrano hadn't caught a pass when he hauled in his only catch of the game for the go-ahead score.

I think I counted up once and something like 17 of those players from that game went on to see some time in the NFL.

SoldierGriz said:
Starters all over the special teams....

Man, I am looking forward to this season to see how BH leads this year's team.

Absolutely correct Soldier. Hauck knows the importance of ST play. It will not be overlooked.

And a big :thumb: to get'em for notifying all of these gems.
Ain't technology grand :clap: :clap: :clap:

I was fortunate enough to get a ball signed by the entire '09 team. I won't lie, its one of my most prized possessions....

*bump

Damn...JJ was so legit..

Also forgot how close we came to getting a semifinal game at home against the Cats...woulda been epic!

get'em_griz said:
MissoulaMarinerFan said:
get'em_griz said:
*Updated*

Dope. Thank you!

:thumb:

The 1995 National Championship Game vs Marshall is also up! Added to OP!

thx for the uploads. I am loving these. It doesn't seem like many are watching the 95' game versus the other games. Jj and Cole are getting lots of props for their exploits on here deservedly, but I wonder if those ppl ever saw Dickinson play. You ppl need to watch that 95' game (for the first time?) and see the greatest Qb in Griz history, and arguably the greatest game, but certainly the most significant, in Griz history. You have no idea what you are missing if you are impressed with Cole.

stats:Cole Bergquist had 5788 yards passing and 48 tds in his 2 pretty-good jr&sr years. Dave had 5676 yards and 51 tds passing in 1995 alone. I know they were different offenses, but let those numbers really sink in.

AZGrizFan said:
IdaGriz01 said:

I think I counted up once and something like 17 of those players from that game went on to see some time in the NFL.

I am calling BS on this one. Name those 17. You must be counting guys that got invited to a training camp and practice squad/IR guys. Sambrano was supposedly active for one game for Tampa Bay, so maybe he played special teams and was actually on the field but I've never counted him. He has no stats on football-reference.com and I might allow him but I wanna see this 17 man list.

Zirg said:
AZGrizFan said:
IdaGriz01 said:

I am calling BS on this one. Name those 17. You must be counting guys that got invited to a training camp and practice squad/IR guys. Sambrano was supposedly active for one game for Tampa Bay, so maybe he played special teams and was actually on the field but I've never counted him. He has no stats on football-reference.com and I might allow him but I wanna see this 17 man list.
“See some time” in the NFL could be interpreted as actual playing time … but I didn’t take it that way. To me that absolutely does include practice squad time and the like. After all, you do collect an NFL paycheck when you’re on the practice squad. Plus, you have to be a pretty damn good college football player to even get invited to a camp.

But I was curious too, so I did some research. The results were so impressive, I decided they needed their own thread. Here’s the kicker: 17 is too small a number, just to encompass those who actually collected a regular NFL paycheck. By my count, 21 players on these two teams spent time on an NFL roster, and several are still playing. (That does not include another 20 who got invited to NFL camps.) Disclaimer: I used the team rosters posted for that year … I did not try to cross-check who actually played in the 2009 Griz-Mountaineer game.

Anyway, to see the list of names, go to that thread.

IdaGriz01 said:
Zirg said:
AZGrizFan said:
IdaGriz01 said:

“See some time” in the NFL could be interpreted as actual playing time … but I didn’t take it that way. To me that absolutely does include practice squad time and the like. After all, you do collect an NFL paycheck when you’re on the practice squad. Plus, you have to be a pretty damn good college football player to even get invited to a camp.

But I was curious too, so I did some research. The results were so impressive, I decided they needed their own thread. Here’s the kicker: 17 is too small a number, just to encompass those who actually collected a regular NFL paycheck. By my count, 21 players on these two teams spent time on an NFL roster, and several are still playing. (That does not include another 20 who got invited to NFL camps.) Disclaimer: I used the team rosters posted for that year … I did not try to cross-check who actually played in the 2009 Griz-Mountaineer game.

Anyway, to see the list of names, go to that thread.

It’s OK Zirg...I found it hard to believe myself when I first started digging. :lol: :lol:

I'm watching DD beat Marshall in the '95 game.

I just checked and the '96 game where we were beat by one amazing Randy Moss is also on YouTube.
I remember telling my father-in-law that I had seen a great WR that was going to be something special in the pros. He doubted it and said - "Just wait til he gets with the big boys." I never let him forget that he dissed him.

Back