• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Timing of Spring Camp

AZGrizFan

DONOR
Why does Montana hold its spring camp so early? I see lots of twitter activity where schools back east are still in camp or just wrapping up, yet we’ve been done for two weeks. With the unpredictable spring weather in Montana, I’d think later would be better, but was unsure if there was something ELSE driving the timing decision....

Anybody who’s not too far away and understands the logic willing to share?

I think it's probably related, primarily, to the school calendar. Last day of classes is May 4th. Oregon, which just had it's spring game, classes end on June 8th...

Bjorn Bjornstein said:
I think it's probably related, primarily, to the school calendar. Last day of classes is May 4th. Oregon, which just had it's spring game, classes end on June 8th...

Is Montana still on the quarter system? Or did it finally come into the 90’s and move to semesters?

AZGrizFan said:
Bjorn Bjornstein said:

Is Montana still on the quarter system? Or did it finally come into the 90’s and move to semesters?

Semesters with school starting on August 31st

Bjorn Bjornstein said:
AZGrizFan said:
Bjorn Bjornstein said:

Boy. May 4th? They must have a very short winter break. My kids go to Texas Tech, which starts 8/25, gets done 5/16 and has 5 weeks over Christmas.

AZGrizFan said:
Bjorn Bjornstein said:
AZGrizFan said:
Bjorn Bjornstein said:

Boy. May 4th? They must have a very short winter break. My kids go to Texas Tech, which starts 8/25, gets done 5/16 and has 5 weeks over Christmas.

Finals ended on 12/20 and classes resumed on 1/22; so very similar...

Bjorn Bjornstein said:
AZGrizFan said:
Bjorn Bjornstein said:
AZGrizFan said:

Weird.

Relative to the 60's, when we were on quarters, the schedule has moved up an entire month. Back then school started the last week of September to get fall quarter in a week before Christmas. Spring ball was entirely within spring quarter, usually starting mid-April, few off-days and Spring Game about mid-May. Great weather in the spring and not so much heat for fall camp and early games. No playoffs or post-season to be concerned about.

AZGrizFan said:
Bjorn Bjornstein said:
AZGrizFan said:
Bjorn Bjornstein said:

Weird.

Well I’m too far away to have any viable opinion but I’ve wondered the same thing since moving down here. Alabama’s spring game was yesterday in beautiful 70 degree weather where 70,000+ fans attended. I’d bet if we pushed ours back two weeks to a bit warmer weather, we’d get probably 2k-4k more fans show up.

alabamagrizzly said:
AZGrizFan said:
Bjorn Bjornstein said:
AZGrizFan said:

Weird.

Well I’m too far away to have any viable opinion but I’ve wondered the same thing since moving down here. Alabama’s spring game was yesterday in beautiful 70 degree weather where 70,000+ fans attended. I’d bet if we pushed ours back two weeks to a bit warmer weather, we’d get probably 2k-4k more fans show up.

Today is the 22nd. I see no reason why we couldn’t have played our spring game yesterday, even with the end of semester looming.

AZGrizFan said:
alabamagrizzly said:
AZGrizFan said:
Bjorn Bjornstein said:

Weird.

Today is the 22nd. I see no reason why we couldn’t have played our spring game yesterday, even with the end of semester looming.

Agreed. What is the norm for spring games and end of semester dates?

alabamagrizzly said:
AZGrizFan said:
alabamagrizzly said:
AZGrizFan said:

Agreed. What is the norm for spring games and end of semester dates?

So the only info I can find on National spring semester end dates is on the Wikipedia-Acedemic dates page saying that most colleges in America end in early May. Also many 1-A schools spring games is next weekend. So once again, why is ours so damn early?

alabamagrizzly said:
AZGrizFan said:
Bjorn Bjornstein said:
AZGrizFan said:

Weird.

:? Huh?

It was beautiful last Saturday. Sunny, 60 degree spring day. Highly doubt the weather had anything to do with attendance.

AZGrizFan said:
Bjorn Bjornstein said:

Funny enough UM switched to the semester system in the early '90s....when I was in attendance.

AZGrizFan said:
alabamagrizzly said:
AZGrizFan said:
Bjorn Bjornstein said:

Weird.

They don't plan spring football based on (hoping for) nice weather for a spring game. This weekend was nice.....last weekend was nice enough for a little scrimmage and quite a few fans showed up for it. Glad the players have a couple weeks to get ready for the end of their classes and finals. Heaven forbid classes and finals would get in the way of a bunch of candy ass fans who 2 hours of 70 degree weather to get them to a spring football game.

Alabama and their fans need a real life.

Some of the stuff people worry about here...........

Latest posts

Back