• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Eastern Washington Eagles Scouting Report

My impression is that the kid has a lot of confidence, to go with his smarts and physical abilities. Good luck to him in particular.

Had to chuckle! Sometimes you don't know what you soon will!

PlayerRep said:
mtgrizfankb said:
PlayerRep said:
AZGrizFan said:
Well said. Although I do think the Griz can score 40 on this version of the EWU D. Agree with all the rest tho.

The EWU defense has improved under their new DC.

Yea they looked great vs NDSU

Improved does not = great. Again, improved. I'm happy to take bets on whether UM can score over 40.
I'll bet ya a beer next time I'm in Missoula, PR.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What were the reasons that the Griz won so overwhelmingly two years ago, and are there the same variables in place for this year? In 2015, they had VA and this year they have Gubrud. But they don't have Cooper Kupp or quite a few other wide receivers who did a fantastic job making VA look good.
Also, it seems like last year was a psychological check down after the mid point. With Reese hurt, are the members of the team going to do everything they can that they didn't do last year?

Inquiring minds want to know.

fencer24 said:
What were the reasons that the Griz won so overwhelmingly two years ago, and are there the same variables in place for this year? In 2015, they had VA and this year they have Gubrud. But they don't have Cooper Kupp or quite a few other wide receivers who did a fantastic job making VA look good.
Also, it seems like last year was a psychological check down after the mid point. With Reese hurt, are the members of the team going to do everything they can that they didn't do last year?

If you were not at the game, you should start your inquiry with a little research. VA was not QB for EWU in 2015.

fencer24 said:

VA was at Oregon in 2015. There's your reason.

poorgriz said:
mtgrizfankb said:
poorgriz said:
IdahoGrizFan said:
What still scares me is our secondary. We still seem out of position and receivers being wide open. That needs to consistently change. If we play tight D and have pressure on the QB we should come away with several picks and a double digit winning margin.

38-24 Griz

I gotta say you sure are an optimistic bunch. I think Vegas odds has EWU by 11, you're stating a backup QB, but what the hell.

Says the 0-2 team fan who predicts MSU to blow out UND on the road. I think Vegas has UND by 7, your QB can't pass but what the hell.

Ok, so in addition to being overly optimistic you guys also make shit up, and apparently don't follow any other games in the Big Sky. Who predicted an MSU blowout at UND? I haven't seen that and definitely don't think that's going to happen. As for the MSU QB, pssssst - he passed for 301 yards and FOUR TDs against SDSU. Let me guess - you're probably one of those fans that thinks the griz has more MT players on the roster than MSU?

Look at me!! Look at me!! Look at me!!

The adults are talking, I think it's little brother's bedtime.

Ursa Major said:
poorgriz said:
mtgrizfankb said:
poorgriz said:
I gotta say you sure are an optimistic bunch. I think Vegas odds has EWU by 11, you're stating a backup QB, but what the hell.

Says the 0-2 team fan who predicts MSU to blow out UND on the road. I think Vegas has UND by 7, your QB can't pass but what the hell.

Ok, so in addition to being overly optimistic you guys also make shit up, and apparently don't follow any other games in the Big Sky. Who predicted an MSU blowout at UND? I haven't seen that and definitely don't think that's going to happen. As for the MSU QB, pssssst - he passed for 301 yards and FOUR TDs against SDSU. Let me guess - you're probably one of those fans that thinks the griz has more MT players on the roster than MSU?

poorgriz may be falling into the "but Simis threw 6 TD's" trap

fencer24 said:

Eastern started a freshman in his first ever start that game...it didn’t go well....

Ursa Major said:
poorgriz said:
mtgrizfankb said:
poorgriz said:

This is why we can't let him have sugar after nap.

marceagfan5 said:
fencer24 said:

Eastern started a freshman in his first ever start that game...it didn’t go well....

Luckily for us eastern doesn't have Tyrone Holmes or Caleb Kidder. :thumb:

PlayerRep said:
ordigger said:
PlayerRep said:
I don't see either team scoring 40 points, at least without OT points. If UM wins, then they can't give up 40 points. A win will have to include a strong defensive performance by the Griz, and not giving up close to 40 points. I'm not sure the Griz offense can score 40 points against EWU. I still think the Griz have a good chance of winning. This is based on EWU not being nearly as good as it was, near coach, new receivers, etc., and the Griz having good potential on both sides of the ball and a talented new qb who will be more than credible.

Before Phillips went down, I was fairly confident the Griz would win. EWU played better against Fordham than I thought they would, except for the 5 turnovers. Perhaps Fordham isn't as good as I thought they were.

My take. O-line has been playing well, and 1st team line has given up only 1 sack this season. Lee is running well and adding good dept. Hopefully, he has cleaned up his pass blocking after his mistakes at UW. I hope the d-line can apply some pressure, but I assume we'll bring some heat too. The d-line, and backers, have been stopping the run. Think secondary has been getting its act together and the return of Strong helps. There is some depth in the secondary now too. The return of Strahm helps. The receivers are good and deep, but they needs to catch all balls. ST have stepped it up this year. Kupp and Bourne are gone.

Jensen needs to avoid mistakes, but while he is not Phillips, I am hoping he will play well and will improve quickly over the season. My impression is that the kid has a lot of confidence, to go with his smarts and physical abilities. Good luck to him in particular.

UM held EWU to 7 short drives last year, but gave up 5 big plays, of which 4 were TD's--or something like that. Drives of 19, 4, 3, 14 (in 40 of first 6 drives), the 3 TD's in a row, and then drives of 0, 21 and 13 and a pick after a longer drive. EWU's 5 TD's were on drives with 2,5, 8, 7 and 4 plays. Obviously, UM can't give up a bunch of big plays.

Fordham was also without their All-American RB last week, at least I think that is what I read somewhere.

True. And he had been out previously too, I believe. Trivia. Fordham's stadium is way up in the Bronx directly across from the incredibly beautiful and fairly large NY (Bronx) botanical garden. I went to a wedding there this summer, and drive right by the stadium as we turned into the venue.

Sounds awesome. Man.. love NYC.

I'm watching some early morning football and they were talking about defense scheme against a freshman QB. The coach said the plan was to rush 3 and "see what he can do". Think that's a possibility tonight by EWOO? I'm thinking no way...as I'm of the blitz the crap out of the newbie...but thought it interesting conversation. Takes?

AZDoc said:
I'm watching some early morning football and they were talking about defense scheme against a freshman QB. The coach said the plan was to rush 3 and "see what he can do". Think that's a possibility tonight by EWOO? I'm thinking no way...as I'm of the blitz the crap out of the newbie...but thought it interesting conversation. Takes?

EWU is gonna bring pressure and a lot of it. GJ has a quick release and I think it's the wrong way to play him. If I were EWU I would sit in zone and make him pick me apart and let your Dline do the work. EWU will probably blitz a ton and I don't think that's gonna be a good thing for them.

AZGrizFan said:
PlayerRep said:
mtgrizfankb said:
PlayerRep said:
The EWU defense has improved under their new DC.

Yea they looked great vs NDSU

Improved does not = great. Again, improved. I'm happy to take bets on whether UM can score over 40.
I'll bet ya a beer next time I'm in Missoula, PR.

Sure, assume the bet is whether UM scores over 48 today (in regulation)?

From todays' Missoulian. Don't know the basis for this statement. Don't necessarily agree with it either.

"The biggest storyline is Montana's new quarterback Gresch Jensen and how he'll fare against Eastern's dominant defense."

Sblendorio is one of those guys who seems like he's been there ten years. I seem to recall him having some big catches against the Griz.

rocklobster said:
The Kupp-board is Beau for the Eags! Not the same team! Griz win!

Definitely not true. Several years of great recruiting classes. Cupboard is definitely not bare. The athletes are there. It's more a question of new coaching staff, new systems, etc.

PlayerRep said:
ordigger said:
PlayerRep said:
I don't see either team scoring 40 points, at least without OT points. If UM wins, then they can't give up 40 points. A win will have to include a strong defensive performance by the Griz, and not giving up close to 40 points. I'm not sure the Griz offense can score 40 points against EWU. I still think the Griz have a good chance of winning. This is based on EWU not being nearly as good as it was, near coach, new receivers, etc., and the Griz having good potential on both sides of the ball and a talented new qb who will be more than credible.

Before Phillips went down, I was fairly confident the Griz would win. EWU played better against Fordham than I thought they would, except for the 5 turnovers. Perhaps Fordham isn't as good as I thought they were.

My take. O-line has been playing well, and 1st team line has given up only 1 sack this season. Lee is running well and adding good dept. Hopefully, he has cleaned up his pass blocking after his mistakes at UW. I hope the d-line can apply some pressure, but I assume we'll bring some heat too. The d-line, and backers, have been stopping the run. Think secondary has been getting its act together and the return of Strong helps. There is some depth in the secondary now too. The return of Strahm helps. The receivers are good and deep, but they needs to catch all balls. ST have stepped it up this year. Kupp and Bourne are gone.

Jensen needs to avoid mistakes, but while he is not Phillips, I am hoping he will play well and will improve quickly over the season. My impression is that the kid has a lot of confidence, to go with his smarts and physical abilities. Good luck to him in particular.

UM held EWU to 7 short drives last year, but gave up 5 big plays, of which 4 were TD's--or something like that. Drives of 19, 4, 3, 14 (in 40 of first 6 drives), the 3 TD's in a row, and then drives of 0, 21 and 13 and a pick after a longer drive. EWU's 5 TD's were on drives with 2,5, 8, 7 and 4 plays. Obviously, UM can't give up a bunch of big plays.

Fordham was also without their All-American RB last week, at least I think that is what I read somewhere.

True. And he had been out previously too, I believe. Trivia. Fordham's stadium is way up in the Bronx directly across from the incredibly beautiful and fairly large NY (Bronx) botanical garden. I went to a wedding there this summer, and drive right by the stadium as we turned into the venue.

I only recall being in the Bronx once, to go to the zoo....and that was 40 years ago. My cousin's new gig is in Brooklyn so now have place to stay if I'm in the city. ULIB is much smaller than UMass.

Back