• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

QB competition

i_the_sky said:
One of these years we should look ahead and play the talented youth and prepare him for next year instead playing the oldest player all the time, just because he is the oldest,it doesn't, always pay off.. I ave watched both NDSU and EWU sit very good sr. players to prepare their youth for the future and both ended up getting multiple great years from their young QB's just because they got the chance!!! I would like to see Caleb Hill a chance more sooner than later!!! RP might very well be the better right now but he can't help us next year or the year after!!! Wince sat to play the younger guy at North Dakota State and Eastern Washington sat their older guy to play youth, last year, he ended up being the best QB in the league, last year! "Just saying" :) :)

You may be right and in normal circumstances Stitt might consider this line of thought. There is nothing normal this year since his job is on the line. He does not have the luxury of experimenting. RP knows the system best and appears to be ahead of the other two at this point in time. I have a feeling we will see a minimum of two quarterbacks with significant playing time this year. RP will have his hands full keeping the starting job. I think Hill is more versatile with his running abilities.

AZDoc said:
Copper Griz said:
It won't matter who the QB is if this team does not establish some semblance of a running game. Last year the team became one dimensional. Way to easy to defend. I am hopeful this year will be different. Sounds like the O Line has improved/matured.

I think that a more mobile QB helps negate this. Just the thought of a QB keep can cause just enough hesitation for a hole to open/stay open. This will help overall run game in my opinion. I looked at last years stats and average was 4.4 ypc for the season. If that number is near 5 for the season, much better results will be had. Doesn't seem like much, but 1/2-1 ypc is a solid improvement. That is an accumulation of a lot of things: better holes, QB mobility, less sacks (since that counts in rushing stats in college). That also means that most likely the RB average is higher as well due to the sack situation. I'd like to see 5.5+, but that's quite a bit of a jump.

I agree with this to a point. The standard, "Hand off" run game still needs to take a step up in my opinion. The real asset of a mobile QB is their ability to move in the pocket, scramble and extend plays. Hopefully it opens up the run game as well but the stand alone running game needs to step it up.

It looks like the competition wasnt' even close today according to Brints twitter updates. Looks like Reese ran away with it, moved the ball well, played great today. The 2 and 3... not so much...

i_the_sky said:
i_the_sky said:
One of these years we should look ahead and play the talented youth and prepare him for next year instead playing the oldest player all the time, just because he is the oldest,it doesn't, always pay off.. I have watched both NDSU and EWU sit very good sr. players to prepare their youth for the future and both ended up getting multiple, great years from their young QB's just because they got the chance!!! I would like to see Caleb Hill get a chance more sooner than later!!! RP might very well be the better right now but he can't help us next year or the year after!!! Wince sat to play the younger guy at North Dakota State and Eastern Washington sat their older guy to play youth, last year, he ended up being the best QB in the league, last year! "Just saying" :) :)

"Say something once, why say it again?"

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kxu5dKqEmZM[/youtube]

Personally I have been cheering for Hill, but what I really want is a QB that can run and make the O succeed. So, no matter who it is.... Go Griz.

I've re-watched a number of last year's games over the past few days. There were periods where Gus looked really good, and then stretches of nearly every game where things just inexplicably went off the rails. He would get out of rhythm and miss receivers (usually long or high) badly. Many of those were on 3rd and manageable. If Reece can simply prevent that from happening on a regular basis, I think the Griz are at least two games better in the standings this season.

i_the_sky said:
One of these years we should look ahead and play the talented youth and prepare him for next year instead playing the oldest player all the time, just because he is the oldest,it doesn't, always pay off.. I ave watched both NDSU and EWU sit very good sr. players to prepare their youth for the future and both ended up getting multiple great years from their young QB's just because they got the chance!!! I would like to see Caleb Hill a chance more sooner than later!!! RP might very well be the better right now but he can't help us next year or the year after!!! Wince sat to play the younger guy at North Dakota State and Eastern Washington sat their older guy to play youth, last year, he ended up being the best QB in the league, last year! "Just saying" :) :)

While I get that point, Wentz sat at NDSU due to injury, not because they wanted to play the younger guy. Once he was healthy, he was right back in there. NDSU was fortunate to have a quality back up get meaningful reps, which benefitted them in the future. The Griz would be in the same position if Phillips gets hurt with either Hill or Jensen coming in. I am in agreement that I would like to see a multiple year starter in this system, but based on what Ive seen and read, Phillips is by far the best choice in QB.

GRIZFAN20 said:
i_the_sky said:

While I get that point, Wentz sat at NDSU due to injury, not because they wanted to play the younger guy. Once he was healthy, he was right back in there. NDSU was fortunate to have a quality back up get meaningful reps, which benefitted them in the future. The Griz would be in the same position if Phillips gets hurt with either Hill or Jensen coming in. I am in agreement that I would like to see a multiple year starter in this system, but based on what Ive seen and read, Phillips is by far the best choice in QB.

I want a multiple year QB as well, but right now I am going to settle for a big winning season 8-3, 9-2 and deep playoff run. I believe Jensen will be the guy to take the reins, sooner then later.

reinell30 said:
GRIZFAN20 said:
i_the_sky said:

I want a multiple year QB as well, but right now I am going to settle for a big winning season 8-3, 9-2 and deep playoff run. I believe Jensen will be the guy to take the reins, sooner then later.

I really have no idea what's going to happen (like all of us), but what about Phillips or his performance so far makes you think Stitt is going to yank him in favor of Jensen?

Htowngriz said:
reinell30 said:
GRIZFAN20 said:
i_the_sky said:

I really have no idea what's going to happen (like all of us), but what about Phillips or his performance so far makes you think Stitt is going to yank him in favor of Jensen?
Yes, how many times did he yank Gus when was stinking up the place? Zip.

Htowngriz said:
reinell30 said:
GRIZFAN20 said:
i_the_sky said:

Jensen is a Stitt recruit. If he (Stitt) is going to go down, he will do it with his man. Now if Phillips is stellar, Jensen will have to wait his turn, I think Jensen is the real deal. I believe as long as Phillips can do everything to almost perfection, Stitt stays with him, but a couple screw-ups (maybe quite a few) and Jensen will get the helm. I predicted by game four. But, I wish no bad for Phillips. I hope he is a crown jewel!

WyomingGrizFan said:
mtgrizfankb said:
Reese is the leader. Reese is "the guy" to them and he allows them go make plays and the WRs love that. I have 0 doubt that Reese will start. HIll I think is a really good player and not a drop off if Reese goes down, but Reese has the leg up and it would take a real bad week for him to lose the job. Hill will be a great QB next year and Jensen...is gonna be in the same spot hill is next year. very talented but someone who is just as talented and more experienced in front of him.

I noticed that Reese Phillips has the same jersey number he had in high school; number 11. I don't foresee Him doing much less than what he shows in the following:

http://www.247sports.com/Video/Reese-Phillips-2011-College-Recruitment-Video-485495?View=Full

So, sit back and enjoy. Geez. What a bunch or worry warts.

His main problem is going to be figuring out who his top five or six or so pass receivers are going to be from a stable of a dozen or so.

Whoa, that's an impressive highlight real. It looks like he has a great arm and can make all the throws even on the run. If the Griz had been his first choice I think we would be raving about him. As much as I am pulling for Jensen, if Reese can stay healthy I think he will get it done. And, is he really 6'2" and 215?

reinell30 said:
Htowngriz said:
reinell30 said:
GRIZFAN20 said:

Jensen is a Stitt recruit. If he (Stitt) is going to go down, he will do it with his man. Now if Phillips is stellar, Jensen will have to wait his turn, I think Jensen is the real deal. I believe as long as Phillips can do everything to almost perfection, Stitt stays with him, but a couple screw-ups (maybe quite a few) and Jensen will get the helm. I predicted by game four. But, I wish no bad for Phillips. I hope he is a crown jewel!

Phillips is also a Stitt recruit. My hope is that Phillips continues to gain confidence, and ends up having a terrific season.

i_the_sky said:

How did this work out for the Oregon coach last year?

PlayerRep said:
i_the_sky said:

We won't know until this season...

G-BEARS said:
PlayerRep said:
i_the_sky said:

Huh? The Oregon coach from last season, who replaced a good senior qb who was playing fairly well early in the season, with a youngster, got fired. 2-3 with 3 pt losses at Nebraska and Colorado with the senior qb, and then 2-5 with a bunch of blowout losses and 2 nice wins. with the frosh qb.

No one has to wait until this season to know that last year's coach got fired. What planet on you on?

PlayerRep said:
G-BEARS said:
PlayerRep said:
i_the_sky said:

Huh? The Oregon coach from last season, who replaced a good senior qb who was playing fairly well early in the season, with a youngster, got fired. No one has to wait until this season to know that last year's coach got fired. What planet on you on?

His point was about developing players for the future. We won't know how the coaches plan worked until we see how he does the following season.

G-BEARS said:
PlayerRep said:
G-BEARS said:
PlayerRep said:

Huh? The Oregon coach from last season, who replaced a good senior qb who was playing fairly well early in the season, with a youngster, got fired. No one has to wait until this season to know that last year's coach got fired. What planet on you on?

His point was about developing players for the future. We won't know how the coaches plan worked until we see how he does the following season.

So, you think Stitt should play a younger qb, to develop him for the future (after the coach has been fired)? That's pretty funny. No coach in the world would plan to do that.

PlayerRep said:
G-BEARS said:
PlayerRep said:
G-BEARS said:

So, you think Stitt should play a younger qb, to develop him for the future (after the coach has been fired)? That's pretty funny. No coach in the world would plan to do that.

Please don't make things up that I never said.

Latest posts

Back