Five Beers to Try Before I Die

Get the low down on Griz Football and the FCS
Post Reply
grizinmt
eGriz Supporter
Posts: 16
Joined: Sat Jan 24, 2009 3:12 pm

Re: Five Beers to Try Before I Die

Post by grizinmt » Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:14 pm

How can you stop at five.

6. New Belgium 1554
7. Dos Equis Amber
8. Bayern Dopplebock
9. Big Sky Oatmeal Stout
10. Nostalgic memories favorite – The Original Leinenkugle --” I'll have a Leinie” (rhymes with heinie). Midwestern distribution before they were bought out by the International Beer Cartel.

Someone mentioned a craving for Coors when you had to go out of state to get it. Friends would bring back supplies to share from their travels. Once it was available in MT, it kind of lost its novelty or maybe it just wasn't that good to begin with. Eventually it also got sucked up by Big Beer.

Allezchat
2nd String
Posts: 523
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:53 pm
I am a fan of: DallasNeill..and the Cats

Re: Five Beers to Try Before I Die

Post by Allezchat » Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:59 pm

Who's had the Ivan the terrible barrel aged? I picked up a bottle and need to decide if I'm aging it or drinking it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk


User avatar
MrTitleist
eGriz Moderator
Posts: 10660
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2005 8:49 am
Location: Missoula, MT

Re: Five Beers to Try Before I Die

Post by MrTitleist » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:44 pm

Allezchat wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:59 pm
Who's had the Ivan the terrible barrel aged? I picked up a bottle and need to decide if I'm aging it or drinking it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
I had this years.. it was good. I have two or three bottles from last year in the closet.. waiting.
ImageImageImageImageImage

Fat Bruno
2nd String
Posts: 563
Joined: Tue May 17, 2016 1:02 pm
I am a fan of: Griz

Re: Five Beers to Try Before I Die

Post by Fat Bruno » Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:28 pm

Not a fan of the wretched, unpalatable slop, but if you want some serious lore on the raw power of beer, especially in the great state of Montanny, check this out:

The legend of the University of Montana, “Aber Day Keggers” in 1970s Missoula requires willful suspension of disbelief. A party of over 10,000 people in a town that had less than 30,000 at the time?

Only in Montana could such event actually occur. And apparently it really did.

The Guinness Book of World Records awarded the event the world title for Largest Charity Kegger. The consumption of over 1,100 kegs allegedly caused a regional shortage of beer in surrounding states. In 2010, Montana PBS aired an 85-minutedocumentary on the kegger.

Full tale here:
http://www.rawstory.com/2017/03/how-a-m ... -partying/

User avatar
AZGrizFan
eGriz Supporter
Posts: 16626
Joined: Thu Sep 08, 2005 5:34 pm
I am a fan of: The Sinkin' Ship!
Location: Texas

Re: Five Beers to Try Before I Die

Post by AZGrizFan » Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:03 pm

Fat Bruno wrote:
Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:28 pm
Not a fan of the wretched, unpalatable slop, but if you want some serious lore on the raw power of beer, especially in the great state of Montanny, check this out:

The legend of the University of Montana, “Aber Day Keggers” in 1970s Missoula requires willful suspension of disbelief. A party of over 10,000 people in a town that had less than 30,000 at the time?

Only in Montana could such event actually occur. And apparently it really did.

The Guinness Book of World Records awarded the event the world title for Largest Charity Kegger. The consumption of over 1,100 kegs allegedly caused a regional shortage of beer in surrounding states. In 2010, Montana PBS aired an 85-minutedocumentary on the kegger.

Full tale here:
http://www.rawstory.com/2017/03/how-a-m ... -partying/
Oh, they occurred. 8-) 8-) 8-)
Guns kill people like spoons make you fat.

User avatar
Cuervohola
eGriz Supporter
Posts: 2957
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2007 10:10 pm
I am a fan of: GRIZ, SAINTS
Location: HELENA

Re: Five Beers to Try Before I Die

Post by Cuervohola » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:31 pm

Top O' the Feckin' Mornin' from Feckin Brewery

9.5%

If you're in Helena, they have it at Dave's on Montana... I don't know anywhere else, their site doesn't have a locator

Black Butte porter is a mainstay, year round for me... Obsidian Stout from the same brewer as well

Polygamy porter tastes like Black Butte to me... "Why have just one??? Bring some home to the Wives"

Seasonal beers I like are Split Shot and Night Owl Pumpkin ale from Elysian brewing

There is a S ton of Micros I'm not thinking of right now, but I can't fathom drinking a piss water lager Foreign owned Budweiser or Miller again
Image

Allezchat
2nd String
Posts: 523
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:53 pm
I am a fan of: DallasNeill..and the Cats

Re: Five Beers to Try Before I Die

Post by Allezchat » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:44 pm

The Top O' the Feckin Mornin was good. I had some on St. Paddy's day that I bought when I was in Missoula recently. Summer Sun and Warden's had it. Good stuff.

If you like the Night Owl you should try the Elysian pumpkins in 22oz bottles. Dark of the Moon, Pumpkacino, and Imperial Pumpkin Ale.

User avatar
fanofzoo
Starter
Posts: 1940
Joined: Sat Mar 11, 2006 11:08 am
Location: missoula

Re: Five Beers to Try Before I Die

Post by fanofzoo » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:59 pm

AZGrizFan wrote:
Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:03 pm
Fat Bruno wrote:
Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:28 pm
Not a fan of the wretched, unpalatable slop, but if you want some serious lore on the raw power of beer, especially in the great state of Montanny, check this out:

The legend of the University of Montana, “Aber Day Keggers” in 1970s Missoula requires willful suspension of disbelief. A party of over 10,000 people in a town that had less than 30,000 at the time?

Only in Montana could such event actually occur. And apparently it really did.

The Guinness Book of World Records awarded the event the world title for Largest Charity Kegger. The consumption of over 1,100 kegs allegedly caused a regional shortage of beer in surrounding states. In 2010, Montana PBS aired an 85-minutedocumentary on the kegger.

Full tale here:
http://www.rawstory.com/2017/03/how-a-m ... -partying/
Oh, they occurred. 8-) 8-) 8-)
Yes they did but hard to remember.

Hell can you remember all the great bands?

User avatar
blackfootipa
eGriz Supporter
Posts: 265
Joined: Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:45 pm
I am a fan of: Griz Nation

Re: Five Beers to Try Before I Die

Post by blackfootipa » Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:00 pm

Allezchat wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:44 pm
The Top O' the Feckin Mornin was good. I had some on St. Paddy's day that I bought when I was in Missoula recently. Summer Sun and Warden's had it. Good stuff.

If you like the Night Owl you should try the Elysian pumpkins in 22oz bottles. Dark of the Moon, Pumpkacino, and Imperial Pumpkin Ale.
Cool story, the Brewmaster for "Top O' the Feckin Mornin" is a UM Alum. We are buddies and met in Jesse Hall. His brewhouse which is in Oregon City threw a big tailgate party across the road from the PSU football stadium in a vacant bar. He's not huge football fan really but at one point he held the all time high school rushing record for the state of Oregon. He attended one walk on practice with the Griz....and.... liked beer better.

daGrizJ
eGriz Supporter
Posts: 264
Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:39 pm
I am a fan of: da Griz

Re: Five Beers to Try Before I Die

Post by daGrizJ » Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:39 pm

AZGrizFan wrote:
Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:03 pm
Fat Bruno wrote:
Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:28 pm
Not a fan of the wretched, unpalatable slop, but if you want some serious lore on the raw power of beer, especially in the great state of Montanny, check this out:

The legend of the University of Montana, “Aber Day Keggers” in 1970s Missoula requires willful suspension of disbelief. A party of over 10,000 people in a town that had less than 30,000 at the time?

Only in Montana could such event actually occur. And apparently it really did.

The Guinness Book of World Records awarded the event the world title for Largest Charity Kegger. The consumption of over 1,100 kegs allegedly caused a regional shortage of beer in surrounding states. In 2010, Montana PBS aired an 85-minutedocumentary on the kegger.

Full tale here:
http://www.rawstory.com/2017/03/how-a-m ... -partying/
Oh, they occurred. 8-) 8-) 8-)
I lost several days of my life at Aber Day. Planted a few trees too. As far as great bands, Bonnie Raitt was a regular. Probably drank half a keg herself over the years. And, of course, the Mission Mountain Wood Band.
"I'm a peripheral visionary. I can see into the future, but it's always way off to the side"
....Steven Wright.....

User avatar
Cuervohola
eGriz Supporter
Posts: 2957
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2007 10:10 pm
I am a fan of: GRIZ, SAINTS
Location: HELENA

Re: Five Beers to Try Before I Die

Post by Cuervohola » Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:44 pm

Allezchat wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:44 pm

If you like the Night Owl you should try the Elysian pumpkins in 22oz bottles. Dark of the Moon, Pumpkacino, and Imperial Pumpkin Ale.
I haven't seen any others in Helena, but I always search blank brewers' website when I try a new brew, and foggily remember they have said pumpkin lineup...
Image

User avatar
jodcon
eGriz Supporter
Posts: 3788
Joined: Sat Apr 23, 2011 7:02 pm
I am a fan of: The U

Re: Five Beers to Try Before I Die

Post by jodcon » Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:49 pm

Drank a few Switchback Stouts at Tamarack this weekend and they were decent, but my real question is can even a Bison fan single-handedly finish off an order of Keg Nachos?

I have my doubts...

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: bgbigdog, BillingsMafia, Bing [Bot], grizfan95, MSNbot Media, signedbewildered, Silvertip, uofmman1122, '68griz and 101 guests